Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And true to form the WBA morons on Twitter now going after Bong and demanding he be banned for having the temerity to report what he believed to be a racist remark to a referee.

Not worth giving them the time of day. Horrible club, fans and a dump to live in.

Their loyalty is misplaced, as their least worst players, as mercenaries, will ditch miserable WBA in the next few transfer windows. Rats and sinking ship springs to mind.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Without getting bogged down with all of the legalities and whatnots, you read the accusation, look at the pics and form your opinion of what was or wasn't said in all likelihood.

I know my view, and others have theirs.

We move on.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As predicted

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Glad it's all over so we can move on. Would be a shame if this results in any lasting animosity between fans of both clubs, I've certainly got nothing against the other Albion. Yes, some of their fans are behaving very poorly over this, but can we say hand on heart it would be any different from some of our 'finest' if the tables were reversed? I think the only real conclusions anyone can draw from this is that Rodriguez bought a whole load of unnecessary shite down on himself by behaving like a five year-old, and that the internet (Twitter especially) gives a voice to absolute ********s who would be far better off doing something more constructive with their time.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
A pretty inevitable conclusion. Unsatisfactory for either party. Bong will feel aggrieved at what he thought he strongly felt he heard and Rodriguez aggrieved at being accused of something he felt strongly that he didn't say.

Time for both players to move on from the whole sorry episode.

Rodriguez won't feel ''agrieved'' - He will be ''relieved'' that the ''Panel'' were unable to accept that it was proven.

Gaetan Bong knows what Jay Rodrigez said and the fact he could not prove it to the satifaction of the people hearing the case does not detract from the facts.

For me sadly I feel that Bong has been letdown and it sets a bench mark. If you have the propensity to make such remarks then do it outside of earshot and visibility of others and you have every likliehood of not being punished. This will stop others reporting such incidents because they will feel they need clear cut evidence to do so. And if they do that, they will be questioned for not reporting the incident at the time it happens.

I am really saddened by this outcome.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Whether he said something racist or not, perhaps this whole experience will teach Rodriguez not to be such a childish little prick. Pinching his nose and wafting his hand in a "peewww you stink!" gesture - unbelievable. I wouldn't expect that from a 9 year old. He's a grown man ffs.

Exactly how I feel about this

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Rodriguez won't feel ''agrieved'' - He will be ''relieved'' that the ''Panel'' were unable to accept that it was proven.

Gaetan Bong knows what Jay Rodrigez said and the fact he could not prove it to the satifaction of the people hearing the case does not detract from the facts.

For me sadly I feel that Bong has been letdown and it sets a bench mark. If you have the propensity to make such remarks then do it outside of earshot and visibility of others and you have every likliehood of not being punished. This will stop others reporting such incidents because they will feel they need clear cut evidence to do so. And if they do that, they will be questioned for not reporting the incident at the time it happens.

I am really saddened by this outcome.

I don't agree. Bong doesn't 'know' what Rodriguez said, he thinks he knows. There are no absolutes in this case, as others have said, it's possible (and I now think likely) that both parties were telling their truth - Bong genuinely thought he heard what he heard and Rodriguez genuinely did not say what Bong thought he said exactly. No one will ever know for sure, but to claim one party is right when it can't be proven is not correct. Rodriguez may well feel aggrieved if he is telling the truth, even if he did behave like a tool in general. He should also feel very silly for behaving as he did with regards to the breath gesture.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't agree. Bong doesn't 'know' what Rodriguez said, he thinks he knows. There are no absolutes in this case, as others have said, it's possible (and I now think likely) that both parties were telling their truth - Bong genuinely thought he heard what he heard and Rodriguez genuinely did not say what Bong thought he said exactly. No one will ever know for sure, but to claim one party is right when it can't be proven is not correct. Rodriguez mayl feel aggrieved if he is telling the truth, even if he did behave like a tool in general. He should also feel very silly for leaving as he did with regards to the death gesture.

Then you and I just have to disagree on this one. Gaetan doesn't think he heard what he heard. He heard it.

We have to move on because no amount of debate is going to change it now but I can't see many people reporting incidents in the future, which for me sets society and football back that little bit further on such issues.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Then you and I just have to disagree on this one. Gaetan doesn't think he heard what he heard. He heard it.

We have to move on because no amount of debate is going to change it now but I can't see many people reporting incidents in the future, which for me sets society and football back that little bit further on such issues.

Question - have you ever misheard something and been 100% convinced what you heard was right? If the answer to that is 'yes', as it surely must be, how can you claim such certainty in this case without any corroborating evidence?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't agree. Bong doesn't 'know' what Rodriguez said, he thinks he knows. There are no absolutes in this case, as others have said, it's possible (and I now think likely) that both parties were telling their truth - Bong genuinely thought he heard what he heard and Rodriguez genuinely did not say what Bong thought he said exactly. No one will ever know for sure, but to claim one party is right when it can't be proven is not correct. Rodriguez may well feel aggrieved if he is telling the truth, even if he did behave like a tool in general. He should also feel very silly for behaving as he did with regards to the breath gesture.

The report

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/apr/13/jay-rodriguez-decision-130418

If you read it, Bong knows what was said. His evidence includes 100% sure of what was said.
There is also evidence from two lip readers one for the FA and one for Rodriguez.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
One question - have you ever misheard something and been 100% convinced what you heard was right? If the answer to that is 'yes', as it surely must be, how can you claim such certainty in this case without any corroborating evidence?

YES maybe 100 or so times in my life.

Have I ever heard someone say something and heard it correctly - YES every other statement made to me in my lifetime apart from those 100 or so mentioned above

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
YES maybe 100 or so times in my life.

Have I ever heard someone say something and heard it correctly - YES every other statement made to me in my lifetime apart from those 100 or so mentioned above

So you accept then that it is possible that Bong misheard? It's not a numbers game.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The report

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/apr/13/jay-rodriguez-decision-130418

If you read it, Bong knows what was said. His evidence includes 100% sure of what was said.
There is also evidence from two lip readers one for the FA and one for Rodriguez.

I've read it. I've been 100% sure I've heard things before and been wrong, that doesn't make me liar, doesn't make Bong a liar, and crucially doesn't make Rodriguez a liar either. He MAY be a liar, but it is not proven, so therefore the decision is correct, surely.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've read it. I've been 100% sure I've heard things before and been wrong, that doesn't make me liar, doesn't make Bong a liar, and crucially doesn't make Rodriguez a liar either. He MAY be a liar, but it is not proven, so therefore the decision is correct, surely.

This. Bong thinks he is 100% sure but it can’t be proven. He may be mistaken. If the boot was on the other foot we’d have been absolutely howling had the decision gone against our player.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I agree the decision is correct, because neither the FA nor Rodriguez's lip reader could see his mouth, because his fingers were in the way. That doesn't make Bong mistaken. One of the lip readers picked up the word garlic, and Bong speaks French, which ties in with the 'stink' accusation. Even if it wasn't the word black, there is still an element of nationalism about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here