Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I'd expect Burnley's PR would feel it's appropriate to remind their fans to not repeat the booing as it looks pretty awful on their club for fans to boo a player who feels he was racially abused and was never proven to have been wrong.

Hughton's post match comments on it last time were scathing and that would want to be avoided if it is thought there is any chance of a repeat.

Think of it in the same light as the club reminding fans not to run on the pitch before a potential promotion. They know it will inevitably happen but it ticks the compliance box of "well we did ask them not to".

Saying that, Bong may well not be in the first team picture at that point if our new LB shines.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So if he plays are we allowed to boooooooo him ???

Of course. His handling of the situation and straight up lies / untrue phrases he used were unacceptable. That’s why I’m booing.

Plus he may have been racist... what?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
He wasn't in the squad for the Wigan game. Probable dissapointment for those preparing their vocal cords.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I thought this article provided an interesting perspective into accusations of racism from opposition players, how they are dealt with and how they affect the accuser. [Trigger warning: it's from the Guardian]. It's directly about Glen Kamara at Slavia Prague but is equally applicable to the Bong/Rodriguez incident.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A directive to all players, coaches, managers and club officials that putting your hand over your mouth while talking during a match is prohibited, no ifs, no buts. They also need to be told that there are not lip readers from the opposition watching their every word and feeding it back to try and undermine their tactics.
Wankers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A directive to all players, coaches, managers and club officials that putting your hand over your mouth while talking during a match is prohibited, no ifs, no buts. They also need to be told that there are not lip readers from the opposition watching their every word and feeding it back to try and undermine their tactics.
Wankers.

But there are lip readers ready to divulge what was said in conversations out of earshot.
There are members of the press and a global audience wanting to know every word spoken.

Much like the way every decision on the pitch was put under intense microscopic scrutiny, for days at a time, causing referees to be vilified for their incompetence.

Yes the players can be wankers, but the sport is played by some wankers, watched by some wankers and reported on by some wankers.

Mo Salah saying "well done good game" to Mourinho would cause almost as much headlines as if he called him a snidy cheating arse of a man.

"Salah wants out after bust up with clipperty"
"Mo come and get me plea to Mou"
"Kane seen in French restaurant - off to PSG?"

Football ate itself years ago, hand over mouth knobbery is barely a mite on the scrotum of the knat suckling on the pig with its nose in the trough, feeding the whole machine.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
If I was a black player I'd be secretly wearing a mike and getting everything recorded. That will be the only way you catch them out.

If I was a black player I’d either chin the racist ****er or walk off the pitch. It’s a ****ing disgrace, as is the ‘he never said that/not proven’ bullshit that’s spouted afterwards.

Can you imagine being the player who the racist insult is aimed at, hearing it and then having to go through trying to prove it as well? Facing up to Rodriquez and that player in the Rangers game feigning innocence?

I’d explode.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
If I was a black player I’d either chin the racist ****er or walk off the pitch. It’s a ****ing disgrace, as is the ‘he never said that/not proven’ bullshit that’s spouted afterwards.

Can you imagine being the player who the racist insult is aimed at, hearing it and then having to go through trying to prove it as well? Facing up to Rodriquez and that player in the Rangers game feigning innocence?

I’d explode.

Yep. And this would then be used by some as proof that black players can't control their emotions, can't be trusted, are inherently violent, not leadership material etc etc.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I’d explode.

Obviously I wanted Jay Racist to be found guilty.

But as a compromise, I felt vindication for Gaeten in the unusual (outside the Scottish courts) verdict of not proven.

Essentially, they felt Gaeten was a truthful witness/victim, but there wasn’t independent proof.

Gaeten could hold his head high.

And to many of us a stain on Jay Racist forever.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I’d explode.

And unless you can prove what was said it will carry on. And if you can't prove anything then you'll be the one sanctioned and they will have won.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's just a really tricky one for the authorities.

One person says one thing and another person says another. There's almost never anyone who can clearly testify either way

I can see why this is so hard to eradicate

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Obviously I wanted Jay Racist to be found guilty.

But as a compromise, I felt vindication for Gaeten in the unusual (outside the Scottish courts) verdict of not proven.

Essentially, they felt Gaeten was a truthful witness/victim, but there wasn’t independent proof.

Gaeten could hold his head high.

And to many of us a stain on Jay Racist forever.

And if they were required not to speak with their hand over their mouth, then the lip readers would be in a better position to work out what may, or may not have been said. Why else did he have his hand over his mouth than to prevent people "seeing" what he said?

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
It is weird. I have always thought that with the noise of the stadium and possible language issues, , 'you're black and you stink' could easily have been 'get back your breath stinks' and misinterpreted by Gaeton. Wasn't there a comment at the time about Gaeton liking garlic in foods?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It's just a really tricky one for the authorities.

One person says one thing and another person says another. There's almost never anyone who can clearly testify either way

I can see why this is so hard to eradicate

It's not one person said one thing and another says another here though. It's one person was caught being racist by not only the victim but one of his teammates. The racist player comes up with a feeble excuse and his employer says he's a good lad we reject the accusations. We should probably believe the victims of hate crimes as well and not just make excuses about how difficult it is for the authorities to do anything and shrug.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's not one person said one thing and another says another here though. It's one person was caught being racist by not only the victim but one of his teammates. The racist player comes up with a feeble excuse and his employer says he's a good lad we reject the accusations. We should probably believe the victims of hate crimes as well and not just make excuses about how difficult it is for the authorities to do anything and shrug.

Was that the case here? If so then that's easy enough that on the balance of probabilities you can say he said it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here