Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I think people can say racist things in the heat of the moment and still not be racist. I don't think, for instance, that Trevor Sinclair is racist and likewise Ron Atkinson. I've no idea if Rodriguez is racist or not and perhaps he said things in the heat of the moment. If he has he will still have to suffer the consequences, of course.

But I agree with you that we're not all more or less the same. I'm certainly not more less as racist as Nick Griffin. Likewise, I've got a black mate of a right-wing persuasion who regards Diane Abbott as a racist. He's not more or less as racist as her.

Absolutely. The truth is, everyone is, or has the capacity to be given the right circumstances, bigoted towards those not part of their 'in group', whether that be by race, sexuality, gender or football team, it's how we're wired-up. But as you say, there's a world of difference between someone who in the heat of the moment says or does something racist or bigoted in nature and someone who holds deep-seated prejudicial views and actually believes in one race or group being superior to another.

The only person who 100% knows what Rodriguez said is Rodriguez. IF he prefaced the 'stink' insult to Bong with 'black' then I would suggest that somewhere in his make-up he holds more prejudicial views (and maybe more prejudicial views subconsciously than even he realises he has, or is prepared to accept he has) than someone who wouldn't have said that, even if wound up at the time. Does that make him a racist in every day life and how he lives it? Probably not. But the action remains a racist one by definition, and should be acted upon accordingly. But it's a big IF, and unless it can be proven we have to accept that Rodriguez has as much right to defend himself as Bong has to accuse him.

Where some of the comments on this thread depress me is where it's suggested that some kind of 'race card' is being played by Bong and others. That's just nonsense. It's very, very rare that people claim to be on the receiving end of racism or other bigotry without there being at least some element of truth in it, and when this is attempted (presumably for selfish, spiteful reasons on the part of the accuser) the systems in place to hear and decide on the allegations will find that such claims don't stand up to scrutiny. I have been part of disciplinary processes and tribunals where I have seen this (both on race and gender) and the accused has been fully exonerated.

As with 'PC gone mad', I suspect most of those suggesting some kind of 'race card' scenario do so because they are fundamentally bigoted and don't like the fact that they can't get away with spouting such views without any checks on their behaviour. They've been emboldened by the shift in the political landscape in the West and are coming out of the woodwork, and if anyone thinks that makes me a 'sanctimonious prick' then all I'll say is that I'd rather be accused of that than being an intolerant ****.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Absolutely. The truth is, everyone is, or has the capacity to be given the right circumstances, bigoted towards those not part of their 'in group', whether that be by race, sexuality, gender or football team, it's how we're wired-up. But as you say, there's a world of difference between someone who in the heat of the moment says or does something racist or bigoted in nature and someone who holds deep-seated prejudicial views and actually believes in one race or group being superior to another.

The only person who 100% knows what Rodriguez said is Rodriguez. IF he prefaced the 'stink' insult to Bong with 'black' then I would suggest that somewhere in his make-up he holds more prejudicial views (and maybe more prejudicial views subconsciously than even he realises he has, or is prepared to accept he has) than someone who wouldn't have said that, even if wound up at the time. Does that make him a racist in every day life and how he lives it? Probably not. But the action remains a racist one by definition, and should be acted upon accordingly. But it's a big IF, and unless it can be proven we have to accept that Rodriguez has as much right to defend himself as Bong has to accuse him.

Where some of the comments on this thread depress me is where it's suggested that some kind of 'race card' is being played by Bong and others. That's just nonsense. It's very, very rare that people claim to be on the receiving end of racism or other bigotry without there being at least some element of truth in it, and when this is attempted (presumably for selfish, spiteful reasons on the part of the accuser) the systems in place to hear and decide on the allegations will find that such claims don't stand up to scrutiny. I have been part of disciplinary processes and tribunals where I have seen this (both on race and gender) and the accused has been fully exonerated.

As with 'PC gone mad', I suspect most of those suggesting some kind of 'race card' scenario do so because they are fundamentally bigoted and don't like the fact that they can't get away with spouting such views without any checks on their behaviour. They've been emboldened by the shift in the political landscape in the West and are coming out of the woodwork, and if anyone thinks that makes me a 'sanctimonious prick' then all I'll say is that I'd rather be accused of that than being an intolerant ****.

Excellent summary. Nicely put.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There's no point you trying to get in some kind of moral argument with me. It's absolutely obvious you're a total racist and you despise the idea of a black person daring to suggest they were racially abused. You've used a totally unrelated newspaper report from years ago to basically suggest that Bong is lying and that other people who suffered racial abuse are lying. That's why I don't want to respond to you and that's why so many other posts have reacted to your comments. And frankly it makes me embarrassed to be an Albion supporter and even more embarrassed to be a human being.

Please don't feel embarrassed to be an Albion fan, on account of him. He's a Chelsea fan.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Rodriguez made himself look like a childish **** with his actions, I doubt he's any more of a racist than anyone else.

I think many people, both on here, and some pretty unpleasant Rodriguez 'supporters' on social media, are missing a fundamental aspect of this accusation.

The defence is all based on what you saw (the holding his nose / waving his hand under it) and citing that as 'evidence' of the player's intent. I might be completely wrong, but viewing the footage, it seems clear that Bong is ALREADY incensed BEFORE that gesture. Bong confronts him angrily over something already said, and Rodriguez makes the gesture in response to Bong facing up to him.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I didn't really want to respond

Well no one made you

and even more embarrassed to be a human being.

WTF kind of crap comment is that? 'Embarrassed to be a human being'. You ain't got a choice, you just are, if you really do not like it just lay down and relax a bit too much huh? Embarrassment is a human emotion, do not suppose ants get it, maybe you would be better suited to being an ant perhaps? Pathetic.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Well no one made you

WTF kind of crap comment is that? 'Embarrassed to be a human being'. You ain't got a choice, you just are, if you really do not like it just lay down and relax a bit too much huh? Embarrassment is a human emotion, do not suppose ants get it, maybe you would be better suited to being an ant perhaps? Pathetic.
You what? Honestly, what is going on here? This thread is simply being hijacked by racists and bigots.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Talk from a Sky Sports reporter that Jay Rodriquez is taking legal advice on the accusations. Concerned about his reputation and how to completely clear his name.

And if he didn't say what is being alleged, who can blame him?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I think many people, both on here, and some pretty unpleasant Rodriguez 'supporters' on social media, are missing a fundamental aspect of this accusation.

The defence is all based on what you saw (the holding his nose / waving his hand under it) and citing that as 'evidence' of the player's intent. I might be completely wrong, but viewing the footage, it seems clear that Bong is ALREADY incensed BEFORE that gesture. Bong confronts him angrily over something already said, and Rodriguez makes the gesture in response to Bong facing up to him.

This, ffs...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Nailed it.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
What in pointing otmut is that people call each other names, especially in the heat of a match. Although childish , to my mind , if Rodriguez said what is claimed it was no more intended as racist than calling someone fat, ginger ,bald or whatever. Using racist language doesn't necessarily make you a racist .0

If racist words & intent come out of your mouth, even in the heat of the moment, you are guilty of racism. Fatness, gingerness, baldness are not protected characteristics under human rights law, race/ethnicity is.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I know someone will put me straight if I've got this wrong, but I don't recall that there were any witnesses to John Terry's racial abuse of Anton Ferdinand. (apart from Ashley Cole but 'nuff said there!) Nor Suarez's racial abuse of Evra. Both were banned.

To accept Rodriguez's is innocent means that we have to believe that Bong just made the whole thing up. Ask yourselves, members of the jury, what possible motive Bong would have for just dreaming up this entire scenario. What could he possibly gain from it? This, I would remind you, is the same Bomg who was kicked twice in the down belows and made no complaint whatsoever.

Bong has not just made this up. He was racially abused.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Not a good comparison is it? One persons hair colour against anothers skin colour.

I don't really want much of a part of this debate until a hearing has occurred, but just because society has deemed one arbitrary element of a human physique to be a less acceptable form of prejudice than another (as per Human Rights laws), that doesn't mean that the impact of either type of prejudice towards the relevant victim won't have the same negative impact on them. Consequently, it's a very relative and sensible comparison, even if you find insulting gingers to be more acceptable than insulting people of other races because the media and society tell you it is so. In reality neither is or should be deemed acceptable.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
I know someone will put me straight if I've got this wrong, but I don't recall that there were any witnesses to John Terry's racial abuse of Anton Ferdinand. (apart from Ashley Cole but 'nuff said there!) Nor Suarez's racial abuse of Evra. Both were banned.

To accept Rodriguez's is innocent means that we have to believe that Bong just made the whole thing up. Ask yourselves, members of the jury, what possible motive Bong would have for just dreaming up this entire scenario. What could he possibly gain from it? This, I would remind you, is the same Bomg who was kicked twice in the down belows and made no complaint whatsoever.

Bong has not just made this up. He was racially abused.

for Terrys they had footage of him clearly mouthing what he said.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here