Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

D

Deleted member 2719

watching that video I reckon GB might have misheard. Looking at JR's reactions looks like he said 'ya breath stinks'. Best to ban him for the season just in case though.

I once worked with a guy on a job beside a main road with a 2 way traffic light system in place, with the cars running and the compressor humming it was hard to hear.
A car with a rather posh lady in her 40s pulled up to wait at the lights, she had her window open this guy with his shovel in his hand mouthed 'want a job' she smiled politely back, but what he actually said 'suck my K**b' !

Chinese whisper and all that the jury is out on this one for me.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If I was to advise the defenders of whatever happened - I'll tell them to shut the **** up until the investigation is over.

Doing a smelly breath thing and holding your nose in front of a worldwide audience.

What a nob end and those defending it. "No, no, no it's the old smelly breath banter thing".

It's not about what's acceptable today, it's what you did in the play ground. Grow the **** up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I apologise if my post offended anybody as it wasnt intended it was a light hearted comment and obviously I come from a different era to most so what they see as being racist I do not consider it to be so. So if appropriate mods please remove it. I fully accept that it could have been said in a malicious and offensive manner.
Nice one BG. I don't think your post was offensive, just misguided.

It's good that you're taking into account what everyone else here thinks, but you honestly if you still don't consider it to be racist, you need to try and understand why it is. Here's an example:

If someone is really pissing me off, I might swear at them, thus:
"****off you tw*t"

There would be no need for me to add what race the person I was aiming my abuse at, but if I did, it would be racist, like so:
"****off you black/white/Asian tw*t"

I'm not quite in your era, but I'm not too far behind.
You're quite a long way behind.

Last edited:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
This bit from Bong's interview on French TV is surely damning for Rodriguez if true....

"I asked him to repeat it. I think at the moment he repeated it he realised what he had said."

I think you could argue that someone could mishear the original comment, but if it was repeated and Bong still hears what he says he heard then that's pushing it as a defence. Bearing in mind also that Bong would have been facing Rodriguez when / if it was repeated, then lip reading also plays a part as "black" and "breath" have two totally different mouth movements. I guess it will come down to how good any camera footage of the exchange is.

Even if Bong was mistaken, possibly twice, then Rodriguez is still an idiot for making any reference to Bong's odour. It's just incredibly childish, insulting, and he surely would have known that aiming such a comment at a black player would run the risk of being accused as being racist.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve touched a nerve by the looks of it
15a8efa977bf853e9723aee92c2b935f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knee cap him ? Why the **** would he use that phrase in this debate.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I suppose he could claim he said 'crap'. I can't see any resolve here.

That makes more sense. "Your black", well yea bong knows that so your crap and stink/shit makes as much sense but dont know how good the accused English is.

Its just sledging imo. Hardly worth getting into a hissy fit about.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Has Bong been badly advised going on French TV 24 hours after it happened? Surely he shouldn't be doing stuff like that while the FA investigate?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Has Bong been badly advised going on French TV 24 hours after it happened? Surely he shouldn't be doing stuff like that while the FA investigate?

He shouldn't be on TV. But for him to do that though, he must be absolutely 100% CONVINCED of what he heard. If he's wrong here, he needs to publically apologise to the guy and he'll (rightly) take a lot of flack.

What makes me despair is everyone on twitter jumping to Rodriguez's defence. He's the nicest player in football. Bong is a LIAR. He'd NEVER go further than saying "your breath smells" to wind up an opposition player... I don't seem to remember say, Liam Rosenior doing anything like that do you?

If Bong said he heard something, Rodriguez has to have a bloody good explanation of what he said and why it could sound like what Bong heard.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Normally I like to read a whole thread before commenting....but I just can't get over some posts on page 1 saying the alleged phrase ISN'T racist.

Seriously. What planet are they from.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
He shouldn't be on TV. But for him to do that though, he must be absolutely 100% CONVINCED of what he heard. If he's wrong here, he needs to publically apologise to the guy and he'll (rightly) take a lot of flack.

What makes me despair is everyone on twitter jumping to Rodriguez's defence. He's the nicest player in football. Bong is a LIAR. He'd NEVER go further than saying "your breath smells" to wind up an opposition player... I don't seem to remember say, Liam Rosenior doing anything like that do you?

If Bong said he heard something, Rodriguez has to have a bloody good explanation of what he said and why it could sound like what Bong heard.

Why does it disappoint you that people are defending Rodriguez ? Do you not believe the concept of innocent until proven guilty ? Are people supposed to automatically assume guilt in race cases ? And why does rodriguez need to have a "bloody good explanation" , i think bong needs to have "bloody good proof" rather than the way you seem to see it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That makes more sense. "Your black", well yea bong knows that so your crap and stink/shit makes as much sense but dont know how good the accused English is.

Its just sledging imo. Hardly worth getting into a hissy fit about.

Ye...but one its not you and two you are guessing....so perhaps hold back your judgement before you put it down to ''oh its just a bit of bantz''

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This bit from Bong's interview on French TV is surely damning for Rodriguez if true....

"I asked him to repeat it. I think at the moment he repeated it he realised what he had said."

I think you could argue that someone could mishear the original comment, but if it was repeated and Bong still hears what he says he heard then that's pushing it as a defence. Bearing in mind also that Bong would have been facing Rodriguez when / if it was repeated, then lip reading also plays a part as "black" and "breath" have two totally different mouth movements. I guess it will come down to how good any camera footage of the exchange is.

Even if Bong was mistaken, possibly twice, then Rodriguez is still an idiot for making any reference to Bong's odour. It's just incredibly childish, insulting, and he surely would have known that aiming such a comment at a black player would run the risk of being accused as being racist.

On MOTD2 there was very clear footage of Rodriguez holding his nose and waving his hand in front of his face in a smell/stink gesture. Whether any reference was also made to "breath" or "black" is unclear to me from the footage.

From the way so many people in sport these days cover their mouths when they speak during a game, surely lip readers will be all over this trying to decipher exactly what was or wasn't said?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm sure Bong is 100% convinced of what he heard, that's not to say it's what Rodriguez said. There have been plenty of times that I'm convinced I've heard something, only for it to transpire that something else was said.

It's perfectly possible for:

- Bong to be sure he heard what he believes he heard.
- Rodriguez to be sure he didn't say anything that could be construed as racist.

We watched the game in a pub via some foreign channel, and the actions from Rodriguez were very clear. What was less clear was what he actually said. I'm not a lip reader, but I'm not sure even those that are will be able to definitively state what Rodriguez said to Bong which will leave it as one word against another.

SAC

May 21, 2014
On MOTD2 there was very clear footage of Rodriguez holding his nose and waving his hand in front of his face in a smell/stink gesture. Whether any reference was also made to "breath" or "black" is unclear to me from the footage.

From the way so many people in sport these days cover their mouths when they speak during a game, surely lip readers will be all over this trying to decipher exactly what was or wasn't said?

It seems to be a quite imprecise science with two lip readers often reading two completely different things.

If no one else overheard then I can't see how Rodriguez can be found guilty unless he admits to it. Why would he lie isn't enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here