Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it OK to show your disapproval?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As a fervent fan of the Albion for 45 years I have and always will follow them through thick and thin. I am guessing I have been to something like 800 Brighton games and have spent a small doing so, after yesterdays performance I was totally unhappy with that lack luster performance and for probably the 6th time in my life booed us off.

I wasn't proud of it but felt it was needed, clearly my actions upset people around me. In the debate that followed I got feedback like support your team, this is the team that got us there and clearly my attitude was challenged. So here's my question....is it OK to show your disapproval?

Yesterday we were:

- Negative and predictable against a poor side.
- Not one player played to the standard expected or the level they are capable of.
- Away from home we are going through the motions of staying in the game as long as we can but I feel we are allowing opportunities to drift.
- Looked poorly coached in certain phases

So I showed my dissatisfaction to let them know that wasn't good enough as far as I was concerned.That was worse than Leicester and Huddersfield, who were both in our faces (WBA weren't) but was I wrong?

PS: Is the drum and clacker combo the way to screw us up both on and off the pitch???

Where's the poll? :wink:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Apathy has set in away from home and this is down to the manager. Yesterday was a perfect chance to be positive and Hughton is so negative we just show nothing going forwards. It's a mindset we need to change.

I posted yesterday, apart from Southampton I'm not going away again bourn out of frustration at throwing good money after bad at games we show no intent of fully competing in. That's after missing only a handful of away games in decades.

As a fervent fan of the Albion for 45 years I have and always will follow them through thick and thin. I am guessing I have been to something like 800 Brighton games and have spent a small doing so, after yesterdays performance I was totally unhappy with that lack luster performance and for probably the 6th time in my life booed us off.

I wasn't proud of it but felt it was needed, clearly my actions upset people around me. In the debate that followed I got feedback like support your team, this is the team that got us there and clearly my attitude was challenged. So here's my question....is it OK to show your disapproval?

Yesterday we were:

- Not one player played to the standard expected or the level they are capable of.
- Away from home we are going through the motions of staying in the game as long as we can but I feel we are allowing opportunities to drift.

So I showed my dissatisfaction to let them know that wasn't good enough as far as I was concerned.That was worse than Leicester and Huddersfield, who were both in our faces (WBA weren't) but was I wrong?

PS: Is the drum and clacker combo the way to screw us up both on and off the pitch???

I wouldn’t do it because I’d feel a bit silly booing my own side.

But you have a total right to if you want to get something out of your system. Part of the pleasure of football is showing emotion and that can be negative. It does my head in those who want to police other fans’ emotions way more than anyone booing. **** those cop prefects

Apathy has set in away from home and this is down to the manager. Yesterday was a perfect chance to be positive and Hughton is so negative we just show nothing going forwards. It's a mindset we need to change.

I posted yesterday, apart from Southampton I'm not going away again bourn out of frustration at throwing good money after bad at games we show no intent of fully competing in. That's after missing only a handful of away games in decades.

I’m starting to feel the same way about games against top 6. Should be marquee games but just dread watching the deep defending and opposed training session

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I didn't boo yesterday, but couldn't bring myself to stand there after the final whistle clapping like a seal.

I don't believe that the fans that religiously applaud every performance, whether it be good, average, indifferent or poor ( like yesterday ) are actually totally acknowledging the players efforts. Deep down they feel that they are in it with the players, that they are on a journey together and without realising it, they are applauding themselves for the sacrifice and effort they have made in following the team to all corners of the country. They want the players to applaud them and they want to return that applause. They feel slightly different to the rest of us. They would never exit early or turn their backs in anger, frustration or despair. They couldn't do that to the players.
Do they keep their emotions in better check than some us? I get totally caught up in the game and yesterday, I was angry, gutted and frustrated in equal measure. I didn't clap at the end. I don't believe in rewarding mediocrity. That is just my personal view, others think differently. They believe that support/applause is unconditional. They believe that they are helping to lift the players to better future efforts. I believe that it is the management/coaching team and the players themselves that will lift and improve future performances.
We are the audience.Bit players in a wider picture. We pay our hard earned money and each of us is entitled to voice our opinion on performance. Some of us expect high standards of professionalism. These are not amateurs. They are highly paid individuals and subject to scrutiny and assessment. Those that clap like seals at the end of every performance leave themselves open to accusations of lack of critical analysis but this may not be the case. They may be as deep thinking as some others. Its just that they cannot bring themselves not to applaud. They don't want to feel emotional guilt They feel they are letting themselves and the players down if they don't applause. Not for them the sullen stomping out and the foul mooded drive home. That is reserved for individuals like me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not a great advocate of booing but how else can you let CH and his coaching staff know how you feel. I do believe that we have to start sorting it out at that point. As CH said post match they are working hard to cut out the errors defending set play which is good because God knows how we would do if they didnt.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Our small group were silent after the final whistle. The performance didn't warrant any applause whatsoever and during the game there was little to encourage our support. Huddersfield away was fvcking awful-yesterday was fvcking woeful.

Hughton clearly hasn't learned from his previous spells in the top flight. I will probably be the NSC bullying victim saying that but it's plainly evident. Set up to not lose and you invite pressure. For example, for opponents' corners leave one of our guys on the halfway line ffs. Otherwise when there's a hoofed clearance the ball comes straight back. A small change but for me it is a simple one to help relieve pressure.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think it was deserved yesterday to be honest. I tend not to do it myself, but also don’t think that deserved a clap either! The key thing is that the next game must not be affected by this one, so even if it was a boo then start the next one cheering as loud as possible. I never agree with being negative during the game - always 100% behind the team during play.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I sat in amongst WBA fans yesterday so wouldn’t be booing or cheering. But personally I don’t boo the team at games. If I have views that are negative about some aspect, I share them on here or with the people I go to games with. But I think people should have the right to give negative views as long as that’s not all they’re doing.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Agreed

I dont get the opportunity to go to games right now, but heck I'd be disappointed with the frustration of sitting back

Would love to see us going for the win all guns blazing like the Wednesday 2nd leg, **** it

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I would boo if I thought it would improve future performances, but I'm pretty sure it just saps players' confidence.

Surprisingly Sunderland are still able to put 11 players on a pitch despite the last 18 months performances.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
I don't believe that the fans that religiously applaud every performance, whether it be good, average, indifferent or poor ( like yesterday ) are actually totally acknowledging the players efforts. Deep down they feel that they are in it with the players, that they are on a journey together and without realising it, they are applauding themselves for the sacrifice and effort they have made in following the team to all corners of the country. They want the players to applaud them and they want to return that applause. They feel slightly different to the rest of us. They would never exit early or turn their backs in anger, frustration or despair. They couldn't do that to the players.
Do they keep their emotions in better check than some us? I get totally caught up in the game and yesterday, I was angry, gutted and frustrated in equal measure. I didn't clap at the end. I don't believe in rewarding mediocrity. That is just my personal view, others think differently. They believe that support/applause is unconditional. They believe that they are helping to lift the players to better future efforts. I believe that it is the management/coaching team and the players themselves that will lift and improve future performances.
We are the audience.Bit players in a wider picture. We pay our hard earned money and each of us is entitled to voice our opinion on performance. Some of us expect high standards of professionalism. These are not amateurs. They are highly paid individuals and subject to scrutiny and assessment. Those that clap like seals at the end of every performance leave themselves open to accusations of lack of critical analysis but this may not be the case. They may be as deep thinking as some others. Its just that they cannot bring themselves not to applaud. They don't want to feel emotional guilt They feel they are letting themselves and the players down if they don't applause. Not for them the sullen stomping out and the foul mooded drive home. That is reserved for individuals like me.

Good post. That is all.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Brighton said:
I would like to ask if the more tuneful 'What a load of rubbish' was the forerunner or is this not yet up for discussion as it is considered a harsher application of derision ?
Discuss away. If things go as the emptiest tins on here expect then we should be able to get that old Goldstone favourite ringing round The Amex before the end of this season.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Fervent? Part Time more like.

A mere 800 games over 45 years works out that you are not even attending all the home games

What will your booing achieve other than making you feel better. The players will know whether they individually and collectively have played well or could have obtained a better result an performance. The players that require an arm around the shoulder and are very much confidence players will not react well.

Also if the booing takes over completely a number of players will no doubt feel why bother if every mistake or misjudgment is pounced on.

Yesterday we were:

I would show my disapproval by not clapping them off, not really a players fault that he is not good enough.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I left with two minutes of injury time remaining, the last time I did that was West Ham away under Poyet.

I am not staying to applaud that!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, that's why fans leave early, to show their disapproval, there's no other reason.

(Note I'm talking about FANS here, not just people who turn up to watch a match and want to get home early)

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I have rarely booed over the last 35 years but for me it's simple, if i feel the players haven't tried then they deserve everything they get. That hasn't been the case for a few years; sometimes we are awful, sometimes tactics don't work and sometimes we just aren't good enough but under CH at least it's rarely down to not trying so no booing for me.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I would never boo or shout anything negative at any player or decision. I was one of the few who clapped the team yesterday and watched Hughton respond rather half heartedly. Good cheers for Matty Ryan at the very end. As for the clackers- WBA kids were still using them on the tram back to New Street. Really, very annoying.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here