Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 3-5-2 against Chelsea

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Do we not? ??? We have four decent centre backs to choose from, with Dunk and Goldson being good play playing defenders. Sutnner and Schelotto have both played as wing backs before, three solid centre midfielders in Stephens, Kayal and Propper (I’d even suggest Gross would be more than ok in the centre of the park) leaving Murray and Baldock up top.

Not to bad I’d say. All that is left out is our natural wingers as I wouldn’t trust them to operate as wingbacks personally.

The problem is the 2 outside midfielders of the 3 need to support the lone man on the flanks when attacking and I’m not sure we have enough pace in there to manage that

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No. We have too many people defending and getting in each other's way as it is. Adding another body in there won't help. Facilitating a viable out ball would help - playing defence against attack for 90 minutes is always going to result in conceding a goal or two at some point; we need to find a way to stop the ball continually coming straight back when cleared.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
We don't have the personal for 3-5-2. That requires wing backs or wingers you can turn into wing backs, mobile midfielders to support the forwards and strikers who can drift wide and deliver. Chelsea, Arsenal & Tottengham play this system well as they have those types of players. Swansea tried this under Clement and failed miserably, Everton tried and failed miserably & West Ham also tried and failed. Will Brighton succeed with Schelotto / Bruno as a right wing back? March / Suttner / Bong as left wing back? Murray as a mobile forward? I do think Groß, Propper and Kayal or suitable midfielders, as our the three centre backs... sadly you need to field 11 players.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd stick with 4-4-2

Scholleto and Sutner pushing up with March/Knocky on the wings, the pair switching sides I'd like to see again, like last season . . . Stephens/Kayal in the middle Gross/Baldock up front.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I do think a new face in the coaching team might help as much as a new player being signed.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
How don't we?

Bong and Schellotto got enough pace on them to provide width

Must have missed the last time Bong actually took on a player and got a cross in, certainly wasn’t this season

All season it’s been shown whoever our fullbacks are, whether it be Bruno, Bong.. Suttner or whoever they need cover in front of them to help them out, it’s more than just about being quick it’s about having ability on the ball.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
We certainly need to try something different. We are setting up for every away game with the same system and then scratch our heads when we lose 2-0. We can’t keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
If it's of any comfort, Chelsea have never been so short of confidence as they are currently.

We have a chance to get something if we play well.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Must have missed the last time Bong actually took on a player and got a cross in, certainly wasn’t this season

All season it’s been shown whoever our fullbacks are, whether it be Bruno, Bong.. Suttner or whoever they need cover in front of them to help them out, it’s more than just about being quick it’s about having ability on the ball.

Ah, I take your point on Bong!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Do we not? ??? We have four decent centre backs to choose from, with Dunk and Goldson being good play playing defenders. Sutnner and Schelotto have both played as wing backs before, three solid centre midfielders in Stephens, Kayal and Propper (I’d even suggest Gross would be more than ok in the centre of the park) leaving Murray and Baldock up top.

Not to bad I’d say. All that is left out is our natural wingers as I wouldn’t trust them to operate as wingbacks personally.

Agreed. I think our squad could play 352 better than4411. Shocking if the coaching has never practised it: we clearly need this plan B cos plan A has been sussed and aint working any more. The wingers (if on form) might still play as a wing back or, no reason why they couldn't be one of the two strikers. I don't think Murray or Hemed (1?) have put much in with their heads so far, so why not try Baldock and a floating winger up front?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
3 5 2 gets my vote, however my only concern is we will drop deeper and deeper and end up playing 5 3 2.

Somehow we need to get our wide players higher up the pitch but more important playing with confidence and taking defenders on.

I really can't see CH changing the formation he is very much a man who likes to stay in the game and keep it tight and hope that we take our chances, sadly we aren't creating many chances.

at15155

Jan 5, 2017
In all honesty I think we need to play a 4-3-3.
It would look like this with our current squad:

Ryan
Bruno - Duffy - Dunk - Bong
Pröpper - Groß - Stephens
Knockaert - Murray - Izquierdo

It is not too far from what we do right now so should be too hard a switch and it would be hard to just constantly sit back. Murray wins most flick-ons just to have no one run in behind, if we have a front 3, Izquierdo and Knockaert can get in behind. It also gives us the option to put teams under pressure when they are in possession and playing it along the back, Man City have just conceded four and three of those were due to their errors because they were being pressurised. Hughton really needs to take a look at that and see that he needs to play in a similar way against Chelsea at home, especially after the result at WBA.

The back 4 would stay as they are and the 3 in the middle would have to split. Stephens and Pröpper would have to support Bruno and Bong in defence which gives us 2 outright defenders and then two strong, 6 foot 1 central midfielders occupying the flanks forcing people out wide. If we force teams back in the middle we would have 6 foot Groß and arguably our best players on their day in Dunk and Duffy. Win the ball, clear it up to Murray, who either holds it up or knocks it on to our pacey men out wide men. We would probably concede more in open play but we'd be much less likely to concede those dreaded corners and it would give us a much better opportunity going forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here