Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Defensive/Set Pieces Frailities

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Dunk, Duffy and Murray have a good defensive header. Bong and Stephens the next best, after that everyone looks very suspect in the air. Other teams have the quality to expose this. At least Brighton are pretty good at defending in open play...!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dunk, Duffy and Murray have a good defensive header. Bong and Stephens the next best, after that everyone looks very suspect in the air. Other teams have the quality to expose this. At least Brighton are pretty good at defending in open play...!

Right. Let them defend corners and free kicks then - and get the rest to get the f*** out of their way, and position themselves somewhere upfield to do something useful when the ball is cleared!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
You learn how to defend corners on the training ground. Issue is therefore with Hughton.

This. It's been a weakness for a long time now. I remember Sean Dyche saying they'd noted we had a weakness defending set pieces 2 years ago!! We're just as clueless when it comes to creativity from set pieces in offensive positions. Given our parlous position you would've thought we would at least try to sort out defending and attacking at set pieces. How difficult can it be ffs???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Watching on a stream from Bein Sports, I think it was, and the summariser, I dont know it was, but he said on each corner how do Brighton expect to win the ball none of the players are watching the ball they are all watching other players running around. Watch the ball and judge when to attack it. Seems a good starting point.

The commentator on my stream yesterday made it abundantly clear that at corners we are watching the players and not the ball trying to stop runs etc instead of actually defending the ball and trying to prevent the ball reaching the attackers which is clearly what we should be doing

We were probably watching the same stream. as mine said the same.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
It's clearly a fundamental flaw. We ship goals for fun from set pieces and don't score from them.
Result

****ed.

Sort it out, ****ing sort it out 2/1 to get relegated looks like a bargain

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Unfortunately it always seems to be Dunk that loses his man and gifts a free header.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here