Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we "doing a Boro"?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
And where are Norwich now? Charlton getting rid of Curbishley worked well too.

Yes we are probably the dullest and most negative team in the Premier League but we have done nothing to “deserve” better. We started well but the honeymoon is over. A knee jerk sacking is not needed imo. I think we will go down without a new striker and I am not holding out much hope we’ll get one either, but I’m not blaming CH.

Did I mention that we haven’t had a single “lucky” point this season either?

I agree about the lucky point, but I think we had a fair bit of luck ‘ when we played teams’ first half of the season, and a lot of the times we never took advantage of it.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
The problems started in the summer and have continued to be a thorn in our side.
We have gone away from home only looking to pick up a cheeky point based on our defensive strengths but that’s not a strength anymore. Duffy & Dunk were giants in our defence early doors and now all I see is two tired fellas looking a bit out of their depth.

There have also been games where we simply have not got the job done (for reasons of either quality or tactics) Watford away, Manchester United away, Bournemouth, Burnley, Stoke, Everton and Southampton at home....too many games of what could have been. Games we should have got more from the game points wise. 13 points lost and reality of that is now biting us on the arse.

I still remain positive because I said at the start of the season I’d take 17th place and we are still capable of doing that but the January business and the team actually killing some games off will be the only way.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We were quite lucky that Okaka didn't score for Watford when Ryan dropped that cross in the last minute.

Virtually every week every team screw up chances to score. I was thinking more of games where we have been undone by a lucky deflection or where the ball bounces around the area and keeps dropping to the opposition, much like Bournemouth’s equaliser the other week. Can’t moan too much about about getting lucky bounces in the opposition penalty area as you do need to apply pressure to expect the lucky bounce.

Not complaining about our shit defending recently from set pieces either. I just don’t think we got lucky at all earlier in the season. United being a prime example.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I said earlier in the season that without the addition of a pacy striker with a decent conversion ratio at this level we would be relying on three other teams being worse than us and us getting more than our fair share of luck along the way.

You could argue that so far the luck hasn't been with us, and the kind of striker we need may well not be possible to land with our business model. We may of course get lucky with a more unknown striker who takes to the PL like a duck to water, but that's a long shot.

To the pacy striker I'd now add a pacy attacking central midfielder too for the type of games that don't suit Gross' style. Regarding our set-piece frailties, I'd also like to see Krul given some games to see if a) he can be a more commanding presence, and b) have a better chance of saving more of the efforts that result that end up in the 'postage stamp' top corner.

As good as Ryan has been with reaction saves from open play, it's clear that teams have worked out his weakness in reach, which is piling the pressure on the defence, who seem understandably knackered and have lost confidence. I think it's also time to bring in Rosenior in place of Bruno as we need pace in that position, and Schelotto isn't the answer in most games. Without all this then yes, I think we'll be doing a Boro, or worse.

Last edited:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I said earlier in the season that without the addition of a pacy striker with a decent conversion ratio at this level we would be relying on three other teams being worse than us and us getting more than our fair share of luck along the way.

You could argue that so far the luck hasn't been with us, and the kind of striker we need may well not be possible to land with our business model. We may of course get lucky with a more unknown striker who takes to the PL like a duck to water, but that's a long shot.

To the pacy striker I'd now add a pacy attacking central midfielder too for the type of games that don't suit Gross' style. Regarding our set-piece frailties, I'd also like to see Krul given some games to see if a) he can be a more commanding presence, and b) have a better chance of saving more of the efforts that result that end up in the 'postage stamp' top corner.

As good as Ryan has been with reaction saves from open play, it's clear that teams have worked out his weakness in reach, which is piling the pressure on the defence, who seem understandably knackered and have lost confidence. I think it's also time to bring in Rosenior in place of Bruno as we need pace in that position, and Schelotto isn't the answer in most games. Without all this then yes, I think we'll be doing a Boro, or worse.

Some good points made, the biggest issue we have is our lack of pace throughout the side and we simply don’t create enough chances even if we did sign a 20m striker, I would say the lack of creativity and pace is the biggest concerns

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Some good points made, the biggest issue we have is our lack of pace throughout the side and we simply don’t create enough chances even if we did sign a 20m striker, I would say the lack of creativity and pace is the biggest concerns

That is true to an extent I think, but it's a bit 'chicken and egg' when it comes to creativity I think. I think our wide players would be given more freedom to be creative if opposing defences were more stretched by a quick striker / central MF combo, as they wouldn't be able to double / treble up on our wingers as often as they currently can.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Boro secured 28 points last season and scored a mere 27 goals in total.
With 10 more games to go we're now on a rather healthy 31 points, and our goals for column has edged up to 26.

so are we safe - not yet.

but are we doing a Boro 2016/17 vintage ? thankfully. that one, alongside some other confident doom laden predictions that we would be "doing a Derby" can be put to bed.

No.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Boro secured 28 points last season and scored a mere 27 goals in total.
With 10 more games to go we're now on a rather healthy 31 points, and our goals for column has edged up to 26.

so are we safe - not yet.

but are we doing a Boro 2016/17 vintage ? thankfully. that one, alongside some other confident doom laden predictions that we would be "doing a Derby" can be put to bed.

No.
All absolutely true, but to be fair to some of the posters on here (those with reasonable concerns, not the doom merchants), you must admit that the outlook looks a lot rosier than it did four league matches ago!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
All absolutely true, but to be fair to some of the posters on here (those with reasonable concerns, not the doom merchants), you must admit that the outlook looks a lot rosier than it did four league matches ago!

Agreed and Well i was one of em . Came away from West Brom in a right old grim mood and posted on this thread to that effect a few pages back. But all credit to CH and TB . A decent transfer window, 8 points from 12 games, 9 goals and in the FA Cup quarter finals . A Derby or a Boro it won't be.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Thread's purpose has dissipated, now have more points than they accrued all season and we are starting to look like a PL outfit that deserves to be here, which they sparingly did.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Feels a bit like it right now, doesn't it?

No poll because that's how I roll.

Unfortunately yes. We’re as good as relegated. TB should have done the courageous thing, sacking Barber, Winstanley and Hughton in December. That would have given a new manager a full transfer window to bring in players better than flops Ulloa and Locadia.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed and Well i was one of em . Came away from West Brom in a right old grim mood and posted on this thread to that effect a few pages back. But all credit to CH and TB . A decent transfer window, 8 points from 12 games, 9 goals and in the FA Cup quarter finals . A Derby or a Boro it won't be.

I don't know how to/can't be bothered to bounce some of those posts which predicted we'd beat Derby's record - but I'd have a lot of fun laughing myself silly if somebody did bounce them!

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Did Boro have a defence better than we have or a creative equal of Pröpper, Groß, Izquierdo, March & AK in their team last year playing for each other/the team? They may have had creative players but were they working as/for the team?
Did they have a spearhead like GM ?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The signs were looking bad eight weeks ago but very happy to see whatever happens we wont now be a Boro. We need three more performances like today to see us home. I think we can do it but still in the balance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Did Boro have a defence better than we have or a creative equal of Pröpper, Groß, Izquierdo, March & AK in their team last year playing for each other/the team? They may have had creative players but were they working as/for the team?
Did they have a spearhead like GM ?

Boro were ok defensively, but lacked creativity, pace and goals.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thought at the time of this thread the usually positive Bozza was wrong to make this comparison. We’ve shown far, far more than Mike Dean’s Boro did all season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here