Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Drop Ryan...

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Watched it on a stream can't say I noticed him catching any corners.

Mainly irrelevant anyway, if I was an opposing manager I know what I would want to do with corners/freekicks and it appears so do many others with great affect.

We will have to agree to disagree

Well he did in the first half twice, interesting you choose to ‘not notice’ this but notice players protecting him.

But I suppose that suits your agenda, rather than the one which has us conceding regularly from corners because defenders aren’t doing their job, something Duffy held his hands up for following the Bournemouth game

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Surprised you started.

So am I because in all these posts I haven't blamed him just stating his limitations and due to them it causes certain issues (or approaches) that the team have failed to achieve satisfactorily. Options have to be looked at to stop the reasons for conceding soft goals

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So am I because in all these posts I haven't blamed him just stating his limitations and due to them it causes certain issues (or approaches) that the team have failed to achieve satisfactorily. Options have to be looked at to stop the reasons for conceding soft goals

All players have limitations, and if they didn't, they wouldn't be playing for us.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well he did in the first half twice, interesting you choose to ‘not notice’ this but notice players protecting him.

But I suppose that suits your agenda, rather than the one which has us conceding regularly from corners because defenders aren’t doing their job, something Duffy held his hands up for following the Bournemouth game

my stream may have stopped, it did every 5 mins and needed reloading.

Anyway I am now going to get a life and f@@k off too pissed off with it to be frank.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Which is the point everyone seems to be missing. We defend corners differently this season, yet today we had four of last season's back five starting. The one different.........?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Sack Hughton.
Drop Ryan.
Bin Bloom.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Unchallenged crosses.

I know that this is a bit radical but would think about playing uwe and conor we especially Goldson , we scored against Palace because of a good header from uwe, so why not?

Dunk and Duffy have the, I know my position is safe syndrome, t might just wake them up.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If we were also scoring from corners, then you might look at Ryan a bit more.

However, the very fact we are conceding from corners, and not getting a sniff of scoring from them either, points to a stark conclusion –*at this level we are simply not as good in the air as our opposition. We have gone up a level in quality, and from dominating over the last 2 seasons, we are now finding out what it is like to come up against top quality well drilled teams both in defence and attack at set pieces. This is what the bottom half of the premier league is all about.

We should be just as worried about not scoring from our own set pieces as we are conceding from them.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yeah, and if I remember rightly, over the previous couple of seasons, weren't the moaners saying Stockdale didn't command his area either? Seems a well trodden road.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Ryan is what he is, but he makes the most out of what he is and was probably the only acceptable player today along with Murray

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I know that this is a bit radical but would think about playing uwe and conor we especially Goldson , we scored against Palace because of a good header from uwe, so why not?

Dunk and Duffy have the, I know my position is safe syndrome, t might just wake them up.

I like this. I've been wanting CH to rotate in Uwe and Goldson for some time. I know all the 'wisdom' about 'don't tinker with the defence', but the wheels are starting to wobble [if not yet come off] with these errors at set plays, and these guys can add a fresh approach on the pitch. Try it, Chris, before it's too late to try.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If any can remember, prior to signing Duffy, Stockdale used to come for corners a fair bit. Following the signing of Duffy, Stockdale stopped coming for corners and stayed on his line and this has continued with Ryan. It's not a decision made by the keeper, it's tactical.

But, as pointed out above we are no longer as dominant in the air as we were last Season. If we want Ryan to be more commanding at corners that will be CHs decision, not Ryan's.

DavePage

Not knocking Ryan, but for corners we seem preoccupied with close contact between the forward against our defender with Ryan normally pushing the latter which draws him off the line, making recovery difficult.
More evident when Suttner is defending with his awkward leaning into the attacking player. Or is he even attacking and not acting as a perfect diversion?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If we were also scoring from corners, then you might look at Ryan a bit more.

However, the very fact we are conceding from corners, and not getting a sniff of scoring from them either, points to a stark conclusion –*at this level we are simply not as good in the air as our opposition. We have gone up a level in quality, and from dominating over the last 2 seasons, we are now finding out what it is like to come up against top quality well drilled teams both in defence and attack at set pieces. This is what the bottom half of the premier league is all about.

We should be just as worried about not scoring from our own set pieces as we are conceding from them.

Spot on. Think we’ve conceded from 10 corners and scored from, er, none ?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Links please on other threads where Ryan is to blame for defending corners.

I think you’ll find there isn’t any actually.

But that’s becuase he’s not. How the HELL did you work that one out?

Evans unmarked. Ryan’s fault?

Bong getting steam rolled. Ryan’s fault?

I’d think you had a point if he had been flapping at crossing and giving the ball away. Perhaps our darling center backs could do with clearing their lines instead.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Anyone who thinks ryan could have come & claimed either of those corners was either drunk or knows nothing. He could have done better saving them - but not stopping them getting it on target - thats the defenders fault, both times

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here