Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jay Rodriguez alleged to have abused (possibly racially) Gaetan Bong

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
Just as well there aren’t many coloured goal keepers, or the north stand could be in trouble.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
When does that ever happen? The closest, and not particularly close, I can think if is when one black player called another a coconut, can’t remember who was involved.
Rio said it about Cole when he stuck up for Terry’s aledged racism. I guess the point is that there is a power imbalance so White racism is far more insidious and damaging rather than just name calling.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
In Apartheid South Africa the most common racial slur against black people was they stank. It was used to constantly demean them. I don’t know enough about Argentina, except there is a society racism whereby the lighter your skin the better chances you have in life. Not trying to put two and two together... just an observation having worked in South Africa many years ago.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In Apartheid South Africa the most common racial slur against black people was they stank. It was used to constantly demean them. I don’t know enough about Argentina, except there is a society racism whereby the lighter your skin the better chances you have in life. Not trying to put two and two together... just an observation having worked in South Africa many years ago.

What's Argentina got to do with anything?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
When does that ever happen? The closest, and not particularly close, I can think if is when one black player called another a coconut, can’t remember who was involved.

Rio said it about Cole when he stuck up for Terry’s aledged racism. I guess the point is that there is a power imbalance so White racism is far more insidious and damaging rather than just name calling.

Ferdinand was fined £45,000 for using 'choc ice' on Twitter for Cole being brown outside and white inside. A sweeter word, like Bounty, than coconut.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
What's Argentina got to do with anything?

Indeed, Rodriguez was born and bred in Burnley, to a Spanish father.

Whatever he is alleged to have said, I think it's pretty clear that the 'you stink' gesture is highly disrespectful and inflammatory, given the social context it has historically. All of which either makes him a pretty poor excuse for a human being or very, very stupid, or both.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yeah but The Baggies fan knows his family. He’ll know all by that. Is his dad Spanish or Argentinian though ?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Yeah but The Baggies fan knows his family. He’ll know all by that. Is his dad Spanish or Argentinian though ?

Spanish. One has to be very careful of generalising and falling foul of what could be construed as racism in itself, but my personal experience of some Spanish people is that, alongside the very nice, civilised ones I have met, worked with etc, I have witnessed a fair amount of very open racism towards people of African origin from others, including the 'they stink' nonsense.

Last edited:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I posted this on Twitter earlier from the Laws of the Game. Rodriguez should be in serious trouble as what he did and it doesn’t necessarily have to have been a racist comment. I personally hope that the FA throw the book at Rodriquez. He knew precisely what he was doing and also knew that he was trying to get a reaction from Bong.
468a2d0a2491688e86f26109226c49d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here