Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Set piece and our CB

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
More attacking not more defending, it’s goals that will keep us up.

Just a couple of decent attacking players and we will have more than a chance of staying up

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Duffy has been poor for a while and been personally responsible for a lot of goals we’ve conceded. Dunk has also had to get him out of jail a number of times.

I would definitely drop him for the next game but would be tempted to try Uwe rather than Goldson for his extra experience and he was a lot better than Goldson against Palace.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It is crazy to say this - but I sort of agree. Goldson for Duffy. But I’m so fed up tonight I think most things should be changed!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So we are now dropping... Gross Knockaert and either Izquierdo and march to score more goals ?.....

5-3-2 can be attacking or defensive. I want to see 2 upfront instead of the ball being headed on to cock all

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That is what comes of having big fingers on a tablet and posters who jump in at the slightest mistake before the poster has time to edit it. But theres a worry, I dont think.

I understand completely, BG, but it lightens the load to take the piss. In these dark times. When any crumb of comedy is a comfort. To the doomed. :bhasign::cry:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Just a couple of decent attacking players and we will have more than a chance of staying up

So that will put right all the problems at the back, will it?
29 goals conceded and 16 from set pieces. Every team has rumbled our small,line-based keeper and our zonal marking. Its not working and will result in relegation.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree Harry we need something and after listening to CH Radio Sussex interview on the match day thread. To summarise we are working very hard on the training ground to stop these set piece goals ,and the club are .working hard to bring in players. If we dont it wont be for the want of trying so getting the excuses ready. Taking that into account I am not offended

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

I admire your optimism, but I feel we’re unlikely to attract ‘a couple of decent attacking players’ due to our dire form and slump down the table.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Here’s a thought, possibly a no shit Sherlock one, other teams have defenders who score goals. If ours had scored a few this season we’d have more points and the lack of a pacey striker, and conceding regularly from set pieces, would not be such a big deal.

Jul 7, 2003
For me the problem isnt a CB problem its how we defend set pieces as a team and why.

We set up very differently and is this down to Maty Ryan. He isnt the problem but we dont hve a keeper who dominates the six yard box so we are now having to zonel mark this area and as such have become very weak at defending all set pieces. A change in tactics is clearly needed but i dont think Dunk and Duffy are the problem.

I agree with the first part. You can't blame the centre backs for our failure to defend free kicks - it is a team thing. The problem we have is that outside of the centre backs - whichever combination of the four you use - the only other players who are good in the air defensively are Murray and Hemed. Bruno and Bong are not strong in the air and have a habit of losing their markers (and to be fair, Dunk has also done this a few times recently) and none of our midfielders are great in the air. That puts so much pressure on the CBs to win the ball. I don't think Ryan is the issue - when the ball comes his way I feel more confident in his handling or punching that I did with Stockdale who, although bigger, was not always as dominant as some people make out.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
all very well speculating about what might or might not be a good change in personnel and formation for us, but we all know the likelihood is that more or less the same team who started yesterday will start vs chelski, save for a change to the wingers maybe. we haven't changed formation/ dropped some of the 'bigger players' all season, even though we may need to, and i can't see that changing now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here