Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we negative or just lack the quality ?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We are overly cautious because we haven’t got the quality. CH knows this, hence his mantra of trying to staying in the game for as long as possible and nick one - that’s the plan away. The big problem is that we have no cutting edge so have only ever “nicked one”once and we go behind the plan falls to pieces with no real plan B.

Massive two weeks coming up. We are desperate for new players and not just for a striker. We need 4 new signings ( 2 loans) to help in defence, midfield and are crying out for some more guile and creativity.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
There actually wasn’t a ton between the two sides yesterday. The biggest issue for us this season is we concede soft goals, often from set pieces, which really is a systemic issue borne from a lack of organisation. None of the set pieces we are conceding from are sparklingly creative, we’re just being beaten in the air far too regularly and not picking up the right men and areas.

In this regard, I don’t think there’s much to choose between us and at least 10 other sides in the league. But until we eradicate these stupid weaknesses on the training ground, we shan’t be competing effectively at this level.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Our defence is performing genuine heroics this season. But they can't be expected to soak up pressure against Premier League opposition for ninety minutes week in week out. Without any form of credible counter-attacking threat to give the defence a bit of a breather now and again, we're essentially just setting out our stall for a series of 2-0 defeats.

In fairness, whilst there’s some validity in what you’re saying, your comments don’t reflect yesterday’s game. We are and always were going to struggle to score loads this season, new striker or not. The issue is our defence actually hasn’t produced heroics on quite a few occasions, such as yesterday when they conceded two stupid goals again, and that’s putting an incredible amount of pressure on our forward line (which is often lacking support) to score from the chances they do get.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Both. Plus our manager is trying so hard not to lose he appears to have forgotten that the objective is to win. Why doesn't he use games like the upcoming one against Chelsea to change tactics? We aren't expected to win so there's nothing to lose. Goal difference is unlikely to determine our fate-lack of points will. If we play like we did against Man Utd we will win more than we lose against the teams around us. Hodgson has turned that lot around by trying to win. YES, he has a better quality squad to work with but the style of play is a massive factor.

Hughton also needs to make changes when people aren't on form: AK being an obvious one.

I'm also getting a bit bored of him thinking a 2-0 defeat isn't a bad result.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Would people be happy if we got done by seven but had a go?

That said, I’m not a happy clapper. It was dire yesterday. Our defence have overperformed this season, but it’s levelling out now.
To that end , I’d give Connor a decent run, and give Shane a break.
Even so, If we don’t make two new signings that have a significantly positive effect, then I fear we will go down with a whimper.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Replacing dunk or Duffy would be as good as giving up on the season. Both have been instrumental in keep our goals conceded to 29, which only a handful can boast. There are a few reasons why we're in the position we are but none of them are down to either CB.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Would people be happy if we got done by seven but had a go?

That said, I’m not a happy clapper. It was dire yesterday. Our defence have overperformed this season, but it’s levelling out now.
To that end , I’d give Connor a decent run, and give Shane a break.
Even so, If we don’t make two new signings that have a significantly positive effect, then I fear we will go down with a whimper.

We were playing a team that hadn't won in twenty games. Our current away tactics aren't working. When do you suggest the time will be for 'having a go', never? Obviously nobody would be happy if we lost by seven, but that isn't likely to happen every time we play a bit offensively, especially against the lower teams.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
We were playing a team that hadn't won in twenty games. Our current away tactics aren't working. When do you suggest the time will be for 'having a go', never? Obviously nobody would be happy if we lost by seven, but that isn't likely to happen every time we play a bit offensively, especially against the lower teams.

Is "having a go" the same as playing "positive football"??

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Playing two wingers who both like to cut in and score a wonder goal makes us look negative. Playing wingers who can cross with their favoured foot without cutting in would be more direct imo. They would probably score more overshot loose balls at the far post coming in from each others crosses so it should be a win win. If we could just get quick accurate crosses in with their good feet we should get better chances.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

I was thinking of when we play top six when I wrote that , but didn’t able it clear , so soz about that . We absolutely were too cautious yesterday . Although it should be pointed out the goals were down to shit individual defending

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Stephens play too deep. We need to play our quicker full backs in order to support wing play. We give the ball away far too much. We haven't got a decent hold up player. We need a goalscorer to play off Gross. The keeper isn't good at crosses. The centre backs are good at blocking but poor at marking. We need a playmaker in central midfield.
We are doing well to be where we are and might get away with it as it is, but this season will be close for all teams in the bottom half.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Every time Gross got the ball yesterday he got his head up to give the forward pass and there was nothing for him to aim at, hence we went square and then backwards
We need to play 2 upfront at some stage this season( preferably starting next Saturday as it’s a freebie for us imho
Nothing to lose and at least give us some pleasure in having a go at these big teams
Our Away day game peaked at Man Utd as since then we have been dire in Away games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here