Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we negative or just lack the quality ?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
To negative. Rather see us go down fighting.0.0 away at Newcastle and only make 1 sub. When we do use a sub it's always same old switches.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's interesting reading this thread whilst watching Sam Allardyce' Everton getting destroyed by Spurs 4-0. It could have been 6 or 7 for Spurs, the Prem is a tough place to play.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Both but add in the lack of pace.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

I hear a lot about pace, but we have Izquierdo, March and knockheart and on the bench now Baldock, yet these players are not encouraged to use that pace. So its not about pace, Harrry Kane is not that fast, but he gets a lot of opportunities. Its about the game plan and whats in the players minds that has been conveyed by the manager.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I hear a lot about pace, but we have Izquierdo, March and knockheart and on the bench now Baldock, yet these players are not encouraged to use that pace. So its not about pace, Harrry Kane is not that fast, but he gets a lot of opportunities. Its about the game plan and whats in the players minds that has been conveyed by the manager.
You are sort of correct but I wasnt solely talking about physical pace we lack mental pace as much. Also we usually play 2 fast wingers but there is no one in the middle as the rest of the team are only plodding up to support. Watching MOTD and other teams will have 2 or 3 players sprinting into the box to support, that never happens with us.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That's why we're in League One.

Oh, wait...
IMG_0169.GIF

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
You are sort of correct but I wasnt solely talking about physical pace we lack mental pace as much. Also we usually play 2 fast wingers but there is no one in the middle as the rest of the team are only plodding up to support. Watching MOTD and other teams will have 2 or 3 players sprinting into the box to support, that never happens with us.

Can only agree, other than Murray, who is there? he's not going to beat three/four defenders and Propper, Gross and Stephens are never going to get there, I think their goal tally demonstrates that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Our defence is performing genuine heroics this season. But they can't be expected to soak up pressure against Premier League opposition for ninety minutes week in week out. Without any form of credible counter-attacking threat to give the defence a bit of a breather now and again, we're essentially just setting out our stall for a series of 2-0 defeats.

DavePage

apart from our triangles at the back we seem to have lost the ability to complete straight forward passes.
Don’t know if there is a fear factor of giving the ball away? which creates the factor of giving it away, anyway.
Doing the basics that came naturally last year and keeping possession can only help the other aspects of our game.
Yes I know the opposition are way better than last year, but many of the give aways are unforced.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Our defence is performing genuine heroics this season. But they can't be expected to soak up pressure against Premier League opposition for ninety minutes week in week out. Without any form of credible counter-attacking threat to give the defence a bit of a breather now and again, we're essentially just setting out our stall for a series of 2-0 defeats.

Irritatingly we are only a pacy quality striker away from having that threat. We have the wingers who can get to the byline at pace and cross but whenever they do they look mugs as there isn’t a single Albion player waiting in the box. Hence the setting up not to concede mentality. Not signing a striker has been our undoing and looks likely to be the main reason we get relegated. No goals from our central defenders at set pieces in the opposition area just compounds the problem. Concede and we are likely to lose, how much pressure does that it on the defence EVERY game? They are not superhuman. We have no outlet, however CH juggles the players and tactics, simplistic but true imo.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Well we are definitely the most negative team in the prem (more so than Boro last season) but what other option do we have without enough quality up top? Get a ****ing striker in before it's too late!!!!!

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I stole this point from another thread but did you realise that all outfield players we finished the game with played for us last season as well. They have done amazingly well given the supposed step up in class in the Premier League.
And also highlights what I said at the start of the season. It was a worry we spent £40m in the office season and yet have the same players on the park as last season.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
For the most part I think the players are good enough to keep us up. I don't think we have the coaching or modern tactical awareness to keep us up. Eddie Howe out-thought us twice for instance. If we had Wagner and his coaching team we'd be safe mid table mediocrity

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here