Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is this it for Chris? Time for Hughton to go?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It;s time for Bloom and co have to realise that you won't be able to sign a couple of goal scoring strikers for peanuts. Wasted money on contact extensions and wages for Baldock, Hemed, plus various others, we are going to have to rely on other results going our way. Unless we beat West ham, Swansea, Huddersfield and Leicester at home and some how scape draws against Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Manchester United, it's going to be extremely tough to stay up. Some of our build up play has been fantastic but it all boils down to one thing, lack of quality striker at this level. Compared to how much money the club will lose through relegation, paying for a decent striker, or two, would seem the wiser option.

I don't think it is a question of 'paying for a decent striker' the problem is finding one that will both improve us and come to us. Strikers are expensive because there just aren't that many about that can do the job at this level.

Do you really think that Bloom is sitting in his office saying no to all these quality forwards because he doesn't want to pay the money? I am confident that both Hughton and the board are doing all they can to get us the players we need it, like the Premier League in general, is not easy.

Personally I don't want TB to gamble the future financial security on a ridiculously expensive striker on ridiculous wages who will become a millstone round our neck should we get relegated. Much better to get relegated and be in a decent position to come back up again than to get relegated and have players on stupid wages dragging us down.

I have confidence in Bloom and Hughton to make us a settled premier league team. It might not be this season though.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm all for keeping CH but as Leicester showed last year sacking a popular manager can work.

My concern is that we seem to take some sort of pride in not losing by more than 2 goals (except Liverpool, ...and weren't they good, etc, etc, gush, gush). The problem with that is that we don't face up to or deal with our weaknesses. At this level most clubs know when to turn on the gas and when to ease off. Against us a 2 goal win is fairly emphatic and I don't recall many close 2 - 0 or 3 - 1 defeats.

Another concern is that a number of players may have peaked whilst still only reaching an ok level. I can't think of any player who deserves more than 5 out of 10 today, and wily managers are targeting our weaknesses and blotting out our threats.

Can CH keep us up with current resources? I doubt it. Will one good signing keep us up? - I doubt it. Are there 3 teams worse than BHA? - I hope so.

we need at least 2 quality signings to hit the ground running to convince me that we will stay up

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Typical, this thread appears a minute or so after the final whistle, I guess we should come to expect it. The poll is already showing people want him here regardless of what happens. Burnley kept the faith with Dyche and look where it has got them.

and even less height defending corners; the conundrums he is facing.

The best way to defend corners is to hold on to the ball and not concede a load of corners in the first place. It’s missing the point about defending set pieces if our under-par possession stats mean we have to defend too many

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
A lovely man and a great Championship manager.

When we appointed him, my Norwich supporting mate got very animated. He said he’d get us up within two seasons but we’d come straight back down again because he will always try to keep a game tight and nick a one nil. He’ll always sit back on a lead, which doesn’t work in the Premier League. However if you go behind, you have no chance.

I scoffed at all this. I swore blind Norwich had made a mistake. He’ll learn, he’ll change. I was wrong. I’m certain we’re going down after today.

I hope you reminded your Norwich mate how well they have done since they sacked Hughton. Sitting 13th in the championship, parachute payments ending this season and a £55m wage bill (last season) to sort out. One might suggest, they look a little ****ed.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not too happy with our lack of adventure away from home against some of the lesser clubs personally. But sack Hughton - no way. He’s worked miracles to this point. It’s up to the club now to give him more to work with in the next 2 weeks.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Not surprising we are so shit at defending corners, we can practice all we like but who are they practicing against? Oh thats right, its the same team that cant score from corners at the other end.

I'll bet our defence look like world beaters in training.

We need strikers, as everyone knows, we are all blaming the recruitment team bit maybe, just maybe they are giving Hughton options that could do the job, but Hughton would rather hold out for the ones he really wants, maybe though, these are the same ones that dont want to come here or that their clubs wont let them go, then we get to the last day and its panic stations.

I was surprised the other day when Hughton was asked about Oumar Niasse, rather than the usual roundabout way of not wanting to give anything away, Hughton more or less said, no hes not one were interested in. Well he bloody well should be, maybe not top of the list but hes fast, has experience in the premier leagie for two different clubs and more importantly is/was available at a reasonable price.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Personelly I think it's to late to sack him as I see no replacement . I would have sacked him after the Wigan game last season .

No I would have sacked him 6 months before that. Then we wouldn't have needed to bother with this fancy Premier League nonsense, and we wouldn't have needed to bother with posts like this

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I agree that CH can be a bit defensive. However I would not consider sacking him. He hasn’t been given the depth of squad to be able to change tactics. My slight concern is that he might resign. There has been no sign that he is unhappy - but he is a consumate professional. He must be at least slightlyunhappy about our failure to sign a striker in August and that we didnt have any signings ready for 1 Jan. I am a great supporter of Bloom but the secrecy culture around the club is a. BIt stifling. None of us know what is really going on. However I really can’t see CH being sacked...

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
I hope you reminded your Norwich mate how well they have done since they sacked Hughton. Sitting 13th in the championship, parachute payments ending this season and a £55m wage bill (last season) to sort out. One might suggest, they look a little ****ed.

Went straight back up then repeated the same mistakes (lack of recruitment, some terrible recruitment and keeping faith with a manager with no plan b when things blatantly aren’t working and you’re seeing the same performance nearly every week)

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Went straight back up then repeated the same mistakes (lack of recruitment - can’t really blame Hughton for the club’s inability to secure the striker in the summer;some terrible recruitment - it’s early and I'm watching the cricket but who has been terrible? and keeping faith with a manager with no plan b when things blatantly aren’t working 22 points, 15th in the table with a championship sideand you’re seeing the same performance nearly every week) -are you including Home performances in this? We’ve played well in the last 3 home games, Watford, Burnley and Bournemouth. I don’t think we’re currently good enough to stay up but I’m in the ‘squad isnt good enough’ camp, not the sack the manager camp.

And you didn’t respond to the point that 2 or 3 year’s since sacking Hughton, Norwich face a doomy future.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Of course CH shouldn't be sacked. But if he were to decide to walk away at the end of the season - just like Hyppia walked away without at all being pushed or encouraged to go (irony alert - of course Hyppia wa pushed and rightly so) we should immediately appoint the European manager we are hopefully already. starting to talk to.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
The thing that has disappointed me the most so far this season , is how Huddersfield team has progressed and are probably a better team than us now , we had a 6 week start on them as well , we have no plan B , to me the players don’t look fit as other teams , we don’t put other teams under pressure both in terms of trying to win the ball back , and attacking wise , when do we ever look like scoring late on in a match when we need a goal . And to make things our defence leaks goals so easily since the Liverpool match . When does CH ever get the wingers to switch sides like we did last season , I think things to need change soon or else there will be relegation

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here