Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is this it for Chris? Time for Hughton to go?

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Time to log off back for a few days - absolutely speechless. JCLs who can’t accept defeat and bad performances are the worst.

I would accept a bad performance if it was against a team we aren't likely to need points off, and if it was the first time it had happened this season or happened after a good run of form. Unfortunately none of those are the case, this is a team that we at least needed to go toe to toe with if we're serious about staying in the Premier League, a team that haven't won in 20 games remember and are desperately poor in attack like we are. The goals that we conceded were dreadful for any level, let alone this league. One win in 11 games now I think, even the most happy clapping fairies and unicorns fan must be slightly concerned.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I would accept a bad performance if it was against a team we aren't likely to need points off, and if it was the first time it had happened this season or happened after a good run of form. Unfortunately none of those are the case, this is a team that we at least needed to go toe to toe with if we're serious about staying in the Premier League, a team that haven't won in 20 games remember and are desperately poor in attack like we are. The goals that we conceded were dreadful for any level, let alone this league. One win in 11 games now I think, even the most happy clapping fairies and unicorns fan must be slightly concerned.

Difference between being concerned and calling for CH to go.
Need new attacking signings urgently - CH can only work with what he has and has defied the odds so far.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We should certainly be doing that at home and also away once we go behind though?

Yes. They seemed to have more attacking threat today when they did.

Hughton is so wary of it. I get the dangers. It's a gamble against a trend in this league. My thoughts are that, whoever a new striker is, he won't be as effective in a singular role.

He needs to go with two up top- certainly at home.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
even the most happy clapping fairies and unicorns fan must be slightly concerned.

I genuinely believe that there are plenty on here who don’t see us as a club in freefall...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes. They seemed to have more attacking threat today when they did.

Hughton is so wary of it. I get the dangers. It's a gamble against a trend in this league. My thoughts are that, whoever a new striker is, he won't be as effective in a singular role.

Maybe if he had some pace and quality in a striker he might adjust the tactics? Can you see us staying up with the current squad remaining as it is, regardless of the tactics. Hughton has been doing a great job under the circumstances imo but he is managing with one hand tied behind his back.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Like it or not CH is here for the duration. Bloom said so at the beginning of the season and we’ve left it too late now anyway because all the perennial life savers (eg Allardyce, Pulis et al) have been hovered up by our rivals so there’s no one to replace him with,

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Hughton should be kept on for at least another year imo, regardless of the circumstances. Even then, unless at New Year 2019 we are struggling in the Championship, with promotion looking either unlikely, or impossible, we should keep the faith. Hughton may not be perfect, but he's one of the best managers in our history, inheriting Hyypia's mess and and transforming our fortunes - if we get rid of him, our replacement will probably end up doing worse than his predecessor.

Well with our current form, lackluster tactics, Unability to score. Strange subs. Looks like he has lost his team too. Is it time we start looking for another manager?

I know this is set up for me to get torn to shreds by some of the hardcore among you like last time but to be honest i couldn't give a hoot now.

What would you do in this current situation we're facing outselves in?

Is it time we give Hughton the chop and get someone else in or keep him on and getting relegated? Thats the way it feels at the moment

Absolutely not. We can't go sacking our manager just because we had a sh#t day. Hughton is the manager we will need next season if it doesn't work out this season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

There’s nothing wrong with being concerned - we all are - but it’s how you go about voicing your concerns. There’s 2 options:

1) Diplomatically discussing things on NSC & exchanging opinions.
2) Overreacting and sounding like a spoilt brat with knee jerk reaction OTT comments.

We’re allowed several bad performances in a season. This season was always going to be tough. There’s things we’ve done well and others we’ve done badly. We’re a massive work in progress and we need to all pull together, get behind he team and give us our best shot of staying up.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I actually feel for him. We have been hamstrung by a poor window in respect of forwards. I expect i will get the usual list of hard luck stories but frankly it was a mess in the summer and he has done brilliantly to get us here.
The fact that we have not resolved this quickly this window is surprising to say the least.

Hazwaz

Jul 23, 2012
Hove
Can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. I’m not going to blame Hughton, he has no choice but to go with plan A as the inability of the club to sign a striker leaves him with no alternatives imo. We are in a relegation battle now. No quality striker incoming and we are going down.

I think we should keep Hughton when we do as I have zero faith in the recruitment team getting a striker in. Once we concede away from home we are beaten and we can only scrape draws at home.

The lack of quality is NOT Hughton’s fault.

This all day long,need fresh faces as the squad is weak (only 4 strikers and 3 CMs and 3 wingers) makes us very predictable.
Winstanley is not Premier League ready.No it is not all about money

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We all knew this season would be hard, some expected us to get a tonking every other week which has not happened apart from Liverpool. Yes we have dropped some important points like Burnley at home for example, but we all know it does not work like that and could pick up unexpected points from anywhere it’s football....

CH is working with the best we have, and to be honest we have not changed the nucleus of our squad much for a reason. CH said he would give most of those a chance in the premier league partly because we are not made of money and partly because that’s only fair, they got us promoted, they scored the goals and kept the clean sheets.

Yes we could have signed a striker in the summer and that was a mistake, we can’t change that stop banging on about it, it won’t change anything. I do hope we do sign one or two players to bolster the squad, and help CH build the squad we all want that will enable him to change tactics with more options throughout the squad, that takes time possibly several seasons.

You know what, I can think of no other manager out there I would rather have now or if we go down. We have backed him to the hilt, and I am sure he is trying his hardest with the squad at his disposal.

Get behind, the team & manager or just feck off

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I can't believe, although I guess, should have been prepared for it, that someone would actually start a Hughton out thread. Hang your head in shame.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
We play with too much caution, understandable against the top 6 but against lower mid table sides and below, need to get ball and men forward quicker. What worries me is the set piece defending, 17 goals conceded now, a manager of CH's experience and defensive nous shouldn't be allowing this to happen so often.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
It;s time for Bloom and co have to realise that you won't be able to sign a couple of goal scoring strikers for peanuts. Wasted money on contact extensions and wages for Baldock, Hemed, plus various others, we are going to have to rely on other results going our way. Unless we beat West ham, Swansea, Huddersfield and Leicester at home and some how scape draws against Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Manchester United, it's going to be extremely tough to stay up. Some of our build up play has been fantastic but it all boils down to one thing, lack of quality striker at this level. Compared to how much money the club will lose through relegation, paying for a decent striker, or two, would seem the wiser option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here