Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by studio150 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only person who can change the decision is the on field referee. Therefore if there was a feed into him saying that the goal looked offside, he would have to go pitchside to review the replay himself before changing his original on field decision, Therefore the change of the team still celebrating is zero.

Thread closed.
    Not true. If it's clearly offside, the VAR will inform the ref that it was offside, and therefore to retract his goal. This is not objective, it is either offside or not, and therefore no reason for the actual ref to have to check on the monitor - would be another matter if there was a foul in the build up though.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sheebo View Post
      Argentina I think. **** all wrong with that goal too!

Edit - it seems there was one against Portugal too, thanks to google!
      It happened to him twice, poor bloke.
      Part of the fantastic REMF Winning team of 2013.
      "on the stroke of half-time it took a world class save from Greening to deny McGoldrick."
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gazwag View Post
      Quite often when we score, especially at home, we get a mass bundle of most of the team with Ryan on the top. When VAR is in action how dangerous will this be. The ref could get a call from Heathrow saying the goal was offside, the opposing team could then take a quick freekick and have almost no players to stop them walking the ball into our net.

I can remember a game once upon a time I was at when we scored and it was disallowed but half the team were still celebrating when the other team was attacking again, can't remember when or where that was.
      The way things are going with referees being pretty strict and all, probably find that half the team would get booked for over celebrating.
      Ever since I was a young boy, I've played the silver ball.
      From Soho down to Brighton, I must have played them all.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmehh View Post
      Not true. If it's clearly offside, the VAR will inform the ref that it was offside, and therefore to retract his goal. This is not objective, it is either offside or not, and therefore no reason for the actual ref to have to check on the monitor - would be another matter if there was a foul in the build up though.
      If it was clearly offside, the ref or linesman would know without this damned VAR thing.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brok View Post
      If it was clearly offside, the ref or linesman would know without this damned VAR thing.
      Yes but if you see what BT Sports showed for Murray's goal upon the discussions after the game, you will see what I mean - they always check for offside etc for every goal, and if it was, but not picked up by ref/linesman, they'd tell the ref about it.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmehh View Post
      Yes but if you see what BT Sports showed for Murray's goal upon the discussions after the game, you will see what I mean - they always check for offside etc for every goal, and if it was, but not picked up by ref/linesman, they'd tell the ref about it.
      Yes but the decision remains with the on field ref, only he can change the decision. The ref would want to do the pitch side check before making such a crucial change so plenty of time to stop celebrating.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by WilburySeagull View Post
      Yes but the decision remains with the on field ref, only he can change the decision. The ref would want to do the pitch side check before making such a crucial change so plenty of time to stop celebrating.
      Yes, you're correct, only the onfield ref can make the call, however if the VAR has said to the ref it is offside, it's going to be offside, and the rules start that the onfield ref would (shouldn't) check the screen for that, as it's not objective - like a foul to one person is a foul, to another it's not (in some cases anyway)...