Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] R.I.P. Dick Slexia of The Piranhas

boik

Loved them back in the day. Drove all the way to see them support the Pretenders in Aylesbury as it seemed like their first big gig. The Pretenders were sh!te by the way.

Ooh, look what I found......

preten5.jpg

preten9.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
R.P.I. :(

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I just looked on the punkbrighton site and read that Ian Smith (Zap Club / Birds with Ears) committed suicide in 2014 aged 55.

take care everyone :nono:

Yes, I found out about a year ago. Was a bit of a shock, more so by the manner of his death.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Just heard this. Shocking news. Went to school with Dick at Lewes Priory, he was a great lad, obviously the coolest kid in school, he was in a band! Used to go & see him play in the Piranhas & therefore got in to the who Vaultage thing, they were great times. Sunday nights down the Buccaneer was always great, also great memories of one particular Friday night down Landport Community Centre in Lewes.
Liked his football too; he was in the North Stand on the night we beat Massive to get promoted to the old Division 2. I remember he pre-empted the final whistle & did a solo pitch invasion, running the length of the pitch, evading the OB down at the South Stand & disappearing into the crowd.
Always remember him laughing, such a good lad. RIP Dick, & condolences to family.

Jan 30, 2008
Just heard this. Shocking news. Went to school with Dick at Lewes Priory, he was a great lad, obviously the coolest kid in school, he was in a band! Used to go & see him play in the Piranhas & therefore got in to the who Vaultage thing, they were great times. Sunday nights down the Buccaneer was always great, also great memories of one particular Friday night down Landport Community Centre in Lewes.
Liked his football too; he was in the North Stand on the night we beat Massive to get promoted to the old Division 2. I remember he pre-empted the final whistle & did a solo pitch invasion, running the length of the pitch, evading the OB down at the South Stand & disappearing into the crowd.
Always remember him laughing, such a good lad. RIP Dick, & condolences to family.

Ditto Smudge , Bruv see him at the Con club in Lewes last year for a UK subs gig sporting a trendy HI viz jkt , Mr Windlass was there as well.
regards
DR

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sad news, RIP Dick.

The Piranhas were one of the first bands I saw play live when I was 14, Sunday night at The Buccaneer.
Happy memories of watching them back then, the band had a big following in Brighton before they had a record in the charts.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Loved the piranhas...and still do! Had many a great night at The Richmond and Alhambra. Bob Grover still performs all their old stuff as the Piranhas Four. RIP Dick. Thanks for the memories

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, John Helmer is in marketing now ... or, at least, was when I met him at a tech conference about 12 years ago. It was a real shock to bump into him

Bizarrely his CV also states he was briefly a lyricist for neo-prog outfit Marillion just after Fish left.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Saw them loads of times at The Alhambra back in the day, remember John Peel showing up one night. My brother Nick passed away recently also, founder of The Ammonites. Great days...

RIP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here