• Australian Box Jellyfish

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
ITS INCREDIBLY HARD. Have you tried breaking into one?

Their shells are strong enough that they have been known to withstand bullets, dogs and even alligators.

Now, the tortoise shell does have some weaknesses as honey badgers have been noted ripping and clawing their way through these shells - but the honey badger isn't in this group so that battle will have to wait

We can start the 'hard' debate early I suppose. The hardest animal is shirley the one that is prepared to fight, against the odds, take on an opponent in all likelihood it could lose to. That is hard. Having a shell is not hard, that's just a shell. Unless I've missed an episode, I've not seen a tortoise go batshitmental taking on all comers to fight for the sake of it...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We can start the 'hard' debate early I suppose. The hardest animal is shirley the one that is prepared to fight, against the odds, take on an opponent in all likelihood it could lose to. That is hard. Having a shell is not hard, that's just a shell. Unless I've missed an episode, I've not seen a tortoise go batshitmental taking on all comers to fight for the sake of it...

The shell is HARD. Give it a tap :)

hard
adjective
solid, firm, and rigid; not easily broken, bent, or pierced.
"the slate broke on the hard floor"
synonyms: firm, solid, dense, rigid, stiff, resistant, unbreakable, inflexible, unpliable, impenetrable, unyielding, solidified, hardened, compact, compacted, steely, tough, strong, stony, rock-like, flinty, close-packed, compressed, as hard as iron, as hard as stone, as hard as a tortoise shell

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The shell is HARD. Give it a tap :)

hard
adjective
solid, firm, and rigid; not easily broken, bent, or pierced.
"the slate broke on the hard floor"
synonyms: firm, solid, dense, rigid, stiff, resistant, unbreakable, inflexible, unpliable, impenetrable, unyielding, solidified, hardened, compact, compacted, steely, tough, strong, stony, rock-like, flinty, close-packed, compressed, as hard as iron, as hard as stone, as hard as a tortoise shell

(of a person) not showing any signs of weakness; tough.
"only a handful are hard enough to join the SAS"

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
That fish that the bandwagoners are now championing just eats bigger fish, right? That's all it does.

Typical for the hipster generation that some new fad comes out and is immediately jumped upon with gusto.
No doubt sculpting and waxing their beards and deciding whether a cereal café or the gin bar is the order of the day.

Mongoose all the way. Lean, mean, ferocious killing machine.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That fish that the bandwagoners are now championing just eats bigger fish, right? That's all it does.

Not many creatures outside the insect world actively hunt and kill prey much bigger than it and able to fight back. Hard.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not many creatures outside the insect world actively hunt and kill prey much bigger than it and able to fight back. Hard.

Yep, its certainly a fish-eat-fish world out there.

although...

Lions. Tigers. Killer whales. Pythons. Wolverines. Wolves. Asian Giant Hornets............. Mongooses

Actually scratch the last one, mongooses don't do that all, what was I thinking?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yep, its certainly a fish-eat-fish world out there.

although...

Lions. Tigers. Killer whales. Pythons. Wolverines. Wolves. Asian Giant Hornets............. Mongooses

Actually scratch the last one, mongooses don't do that all, what was I thinking?

Packs and swarms a lot of those. Tigers won't generally hunt something bigger than itself, will always go for a youngster or older animal. Carry on.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Jaguar may have his work cut-out making it out of this group. If memory serves right, he was a real contender over the last couple of years.

Personally a big fan of the Wolverine and Mongoose. Black Swallower does look mightily impressive and could one to watch...

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

Christ, I really did drop the ball on this one. I'm clearly pretty low on the WHC learning curve. I will pull out all the stops to ensure Group B makes actual sense. It's a very good job Kalimantan Gull is around to actually furnish you all with some hard facts.

article-1306866-0AEE0610000005DC-632_224x423.jpg

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
So let us recap where we are after a day of voting in this, the first of the group stages. What a start it has been for the Black Swallower. Unfancied when voting opened and unheard of by many of you, the plucky deep sea dweller clearly has something of the 'hard' about it. It has opened up clear very dark blue water between itself and its nearest challenger, the Siberian Tiger. These two appear relatively secure with three days voting still to go.

The Asian Giant Hornet is holding its own but beyond this the final space seems to be up for grabs, with a fierce fight developing between the Grizzly, Mongoose and Wolverine. The Jaguar has barely got out of the blocks. WHC continues to surprise, delight and frustrate...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Getting yourself killed because you are that hard you just had to eat a bigger fish giving it the biggun', that is the very definition of hard, stupid, but hard.

Spot on son, spot on.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Concerningly I reckon the vote has gotten split down the middle for Mongoose and Wolverine, between like-minded voters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here