Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for WBA.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The team picks itself really despite Kayal's excellent performance on Monday.

Ryan

Bruno
Suttner
Dunk
Duffy

Knockaert
Izqueirdo
Propper
Stephens

Gross

Murray

I think it'll be this, but perhaps with Bong at LB. Curiously, everyone thinks/wants Suttner to play at LB, but CH tends to use Bong away and Suttner at home, and also prefers Bong up against pacy wingers, of which WBA have a few (Burke, Phillips, McLean)

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm getting very close to calling Schelotto first choice at right back. I don't know how much longer we can accept Bruno failing to win headers, being out-muscled in the box at set-pieces and being skinned now and again by quick wingers. He's so wonderful going forward, amazing touch and confidence on the ball, but its getting harder to ignore the issues at the back

I think I might agree.

*Headsoff for scalding hot shower to wash away the shame of doubting El Capitan*

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It will be interesting to see how Gross might be able to feed in a quicker/buzzier frontman like Sam B. Especially if our wideman get get up the pitch too.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm getting very close to calling Schelotto first choice at right back. I don't know how much longer we can accept Bruno failing to win headers, being out-muscled in the box at set-pieces and being skinned now and again by quick wingers. He's so wonderful going forward, amazing touch and confidence on the ball, but its getting harder to ignore the issues at the back
This post makes me feel sad, you’re probably right Simon but it’s horrible to admit. Feels like taking your faithful old dog, the one you’ve had since he was a puppy, down to the vets for the last time.

Come on Bruno, let’s go for a ride in the car....

:lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am expecting:

Ryan
Schelotto....Duffy....Dunk....Bong
Knockaert...Propper...Stephens....Izquierdo
Gross
Murray​

But would like to see Baldock and Kayal on the bench and 1 used as a sub either Baldock or Kayal
to come on alongside of Stephens and Propper pushed forward when Gross tires but that is unlikely as it is not CH way he only ever replaces like for like. His only down fall he doesnt try to change the game.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Ryan
Bruno-Uwe-Dunk-Bong
Knockaert-Stephens-Propper-Izquierdo
Groß
Murray

Happy to see Kayal 2nd half, replacing Dale/Davy, or even to free Propper to replace Groß

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Think Saturday is a perfect opportunity to go for it with a good old fashioned 4-4-2 with Baldock and Muzza up front. West Broms home form is not great (W1 D7 L3) and they've scored under a goal-a-game, and conceded 1.3 goals a game.

Ryan
Knockaert...Propper/Gross...Stephens....Izquierdo
Baldock Murray​

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I’d love to see this formation & lineup :

Ryan
Bruno - Duffy - Dunk - Suttner
Stephens - Kayal - Propper
Groß - Baldock or Izquierdo
Murray

I’m not convinced we’ve seen sufficient benefit from playing 2 wingers this season and i think we’d be harder to break down and a stronger attacking threat with the 3 midfielders and Gross & Baldock or Izquierdo playing just behind and either side of Muzza. Especially in a ‘must not lose’ game such as this one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am expecting:

Ryan
Knockaert...Propper...Stephens....Izquierdo
Gross
Murray​

But would like to see Baldock and Kayal on the bench and 1 used as a sub either Baldock or Kayal
to come on alongside of Stephens and Propper pushed forward when Gross tires but that is unlikely as it is not CH way he only ever replaces like for like. His only down fall he doesnt try to change the game.

I would like to see us start with 4-4-2 with Baldock Murray up top and Knockaert wide with both Schelotto and Bong pushing up as wing backs and Stephens Gross and Propper in midfield but dont expect that to happen.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
I would like to see us start with 4-4-2 with Baldock Murray up top and Knockaert wide with both Schelotto and Bong pushing up as wing backs and Stephens Gross and Propper in midfield but dont expect that to happen.

Slight flaw with that BG, Stephens Gross and Propper play in the middle. One would have to be out wide, out of position.

Edit:- After re-reading [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION], you are suggesting the following:-

--------------------Ryan------------------
-------------Duffy------Dunk------------
Schelotto--------------------------Bong
-------Stephens Gross Propper-----
Knockaert--------------------------------
------------Baldock------Murray-------

Erm...yeah...which other teams play like this?

Last edited:

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Schelotto for sure over Bruno. We don't know what Schelotto is fully capable of yet due to limited game time whereas we know all about Bruno plus Bruno has limited time left whereas Schelotto is the future.

Kayal to also start.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Slight flaw with that BG, Stephens Gross and Propper play in the middle. One would have to be out wide, out of position.

Edit:- After re-reading [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION], you are suggesting the following:-

--------------------Ryan------------------
-------------Duffy------Dunk------------
Schelotto--------------------------Bong
-------Stephens Gross Propper-----
Knockaert--------------------------------
------------Baldock------Murray-------

Erm...yeah...which other teams play like this?

Similar but not quite I would play a straight back four with Knockaert between midfield and 2 up front more central than you show in front of Gross as shown- and then to go down either wing, If he goes down the left Schelotto comes forward and leaves Bong back if he goes down the right vice versa Bong getting forward

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
Similar but not quite I would play a straight back four with Knockaert between midfield and 2 up front more central than you show in front of Gross as shown- and then to go down either wing, If he goes down the left Schelotto comes forward and leaves Bong back if he goes down the right vice versa Bong getting forward

:bowdown:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
--------------- Ryan
Bruno - Dunk - Duffy - Bong
------ Stephens - Kayal
Knockaert - Propper - Groß
-------------- Murray

Bench: Krul, Schelotto, Goldson, Izquierdo, March, Hemed, Baldock

Moving Propper into the more advanced & central role is something I'd like to see. Groß can play the slightly wider position, he often floats out their in our current system anyway. He has to start for his set piece delivery & performance verses WBA earlier in the season. Kayal returning to the team can be a huge boost, especially away from home. He looked excellent verses Chelsea and Palace. Izquierdo and March disappointed me verses Palace, so I think this is a great opportunity to test this formation. It's not too dissimilar to our regular 4-4-1-1, pushing players more central will help us defending too. The fullbacks could be easily swapped too, but I want to see Bruno for his attacking play out wide as I've dropped a winger to the bench. I prefer Bong for defending corners over Suttner.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A colleague at work is a Wolves STH and naturally having a good time.

He drinks regularly with Baggies fans and states their view is no win and they are relegation fodder

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Izquierdo and March disappointed me verses Palace.

Thats a shame because they were so heavily marked, they were never going to have space to charge into. Palace knew that was our threat, that we wouldn't come through the middle, and they focused on those two. It meant they hardly every got the ball in any kind of space, and I thought despite that they were very strong and tidy in possession. Izquierdo in particular showed exceptional close ball control and worked well with Bong to move the ball around under such strong attention. I had no problem with either of them and admired their hard work in difficult match play

Keith the Kipper

Feb 27, 2010
Worthing
Is it me or has that been written in a foreign language ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here