Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tommy Lawrence. Liverpool.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Tommy Lawrence right up there with Clemence and Grobbelaar as the great Liverpool keepers. R.I.P. Tommy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
giphy.gif

Come on! Get with it, man.

Maybe its an age thing. There was football before 1983, you realise?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'm sure I watched him in goal for Tranmere playing against us at the Goldstone in the early '70s. I also seem to remember Ron Yeates playing in the same game. This was the era when First Division footballers stepped down a division or two to play for a couple more years to get more money in as they weren't payed the millions they get now.
Also remember Bobby Charlton playing sweeper for Preston when he was their Player-Manager.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
I'm sure I watched him in goal for Tranmere playing against us at the Goldstone in the early '70s. I also seem to remember Ron Yeates playing in the same game. This was the era when First Division footballers stepped down a division or two to play for a couple more years to get more money in as they weren't payed the millions they get now.
Also remember Bobby Charlton playing sweeper for Preston when he was their Player-Manager.

You did, I was at that game, a 2-0 Albion win I think? Tommy Lawrence stood and applauded the second goal, as it was laid back by a player for our main striker to smash it into the corner, with Lawrence not being a flying pig. 1972/3?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

You did, I was at that game, a 2-0 Albion win I think? Tommy Lawrence stood and applauded the second goal, as it was laid back by a player for our main striker to smash it into the corner, with Lawrence not being a flying pig. 1972/3?

The programme line-ups from March 11 1972:-

TommyLawrence1.jpg

And from Pat Saward's notes in the programme from the next home match, against Oldham on March 15 1972:-

TommyLawrence2.jpg

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I've found the best way to not make yourself out to be prat, is use this thing I've discovered. It's called 'google'. If someone I've never heard of carks it, I google them(see what I done there). Then I decide if I would like to comment on that thread.
Sometimes it's better to be silent and be thought of as a fool, rather than speak and remove all doubt.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
By all means, go for it. And whilst you're on your high horse maybe ask the OP why he feels the need to start a RIP thread about a footballer with no Brighton connections but doesn't bother posting similar in the thread about Steve Piper?

Steve Piper,yes i was there and a solid partnership with Andy/R

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That’s when I saw him as well, playing for Tranmere at the Goldstone. Great keeper.

Jameson

Me too. He was famous at that time having played for Liverpool. North Stand Chant:

Who’s that keeper with the big fat arse?

Lawrence, Lawrence,

Repeat,

Lawrence is his name!

Different times, different songs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Brilliant.

I actually hate that interview as the pig-ignorant **** interviewing him had no clue who he was. You'd think he'd at least done some basic research to discover who was playing in that game. And it's not as if it was a one-off appearance either, Lawrence was the Liverpool keeper almost all the way through through the Shankly era

I dunno, it must be an age thing as I see the esteemed Buzzer hasn't heard of him either. Such is life. I guess soon the names of Hunt, St John, Yeats, Lawler, Thompson, Hughes, Evans, Toshack etc will follow Tommy into the 'Who?' category. I'm sad in more ways than one.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
I remember that Bromley goal. God he caned it.

As I recall, he ran from the Western edge of the North stand penalty area, in a diagonal run beating a few players to the left corner of the South stand area and lashed it left footed into the far right top corner, the Flying Pig was beaten all ends up. One of the greatest Goldstone goals. :flameboun

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
By all means, go for it. And whilst you're on your high horse maybe ask the OP why he feels the need to start a RIP thread about a footballer with no Brighton connections but doesn't bother posting similar in the thread about Steve Piper?

No Brighton connections admittedly, but Lawrence was a legend in the 1960s - and I've never been a Liverpool fan.. I'm sure we'll also have RIP threads for people like Ray Wilson or George Cohen when they die.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here