Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 15 days left for Hartlepool United

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
They have sold a player today. Lets hope it is the sort of deal we got when Leeds saved us with their Beeney signing.

We owe Howard Wilkinson big time for that one

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Overnight stays won't be the factor in that. A sponsor or two pulling out, unexpected ground / maintenance expenditure, an unexpected relegation. Unless you know their accounts and financial planning, I think it is plain wrong for anyone to just assume they've caused this through not living within their means. I'm sure people said the same thing about us to be honest.

I remember our first fan united day and I was there. Fans from many clubs turned out to protest against asset stripping owners, and what a great day that was.

I don't remember bucket collections to hand cash over to Archer and Bellotti in order to contribute towards players wages and an Inland Revenue tax bill. We were fighting to save our club and not bail out Archer and Bellotti.

I don't recall us living beyond our means at the time. We just didnt have a ground to play at for the next season. Although there was a possibility the club may not have continued, there were enough committed people around to ensure we could have risen from the grave in the same way as AFC Wimbledon.

Its not the same situation and to say "I'm sure people said the same thing about us to be honest" is wide of the mark.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why would the people of Hartlepool support Hull or any of the others you mention ? I find that a bizarre suggestion. Supporting a football club isn’t like supporting a restaurant.

Are you stupid because where did I even suggest fans of Hartlepool swap their allegiance? Serious question because if you read my post the point is that is about those other clubs helping out one of their neighbours, not fans swapping sides.

This thread is about whether to finance Hartlepool's owners running of the club. Simontheseagull makes some very good points about the situation.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Are you stupid because where did I even suggest fans of Hartlepool swap their allegiance? Serious question because if you read my post the point is that is about those other clubs helping out one of their neighbours, not fans swapping sides.

This thread is about whether to finance Hartlepool's owners running of the club. Simontheseagull makes some very good points about the situation.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. You sound a bit angry. Have a glass of wine.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I feel for any team that goes under. It is all well and good to blame the boards, but are the fans to blame?

Sorry but any person without an ounce of empathy is no fan of football.

40 years you say. I can only assume you recently got your first ticket after moving to them Amex? You seem the sort.

Get a life. First game seen was when Clough was manager but not a fan until 76 and pretty much seen every home game since and plenty of away games. I wouldn't describe myself as a 'football fan' simply because I have no real interest in watching games that don't involve the Albion or, for that matter, England. I don't not watch other game, I just don't go out of my way to do it. I'm sure there are plenty of anoraks who would make a weekend of watching Worcester v Bath or something similar but that's not my cup of tea.

I feel sorry for the fans but there are plenty of clubs that have gone under and you can't fund them all. Halifax, Chester, Maidstone, Hereford etc etc. Did you send money to all of those?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I remember our first fan united day and I was there. Fans from many clubs turned out to protest against asset stripping owners, and what a great day that was.

I don't remember bucket collections to hand cash over to Archer and Bellotti in order to contribute towards players wages and an Inland Revenue tax bill. We were fighting to save our club and not bail out Archer and Bellotti.

I don't recall us living beyond our means at the time. We just didnt have a ground to play at for the next season. Although there was a possibility the club may not have continued, there were enough committed people around to ensure we could have risen from the grave in the same way as AFC Wimbledon.

Its not the same situation and to say "I'm sure people said the same thing about us to be honest" is wide of the mark.

Archer was still involved with the club until 2002, when Dick finally bought him out with £700K. So any money paid to our club between 97 & 02 did got towards Archer.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
Great to see but not surprising the level of supporters from Fans United club supporting the crowd funding page, our fans dominating alongside Charlton, Plymouth, Orient. Lots of love from Middlesbrough as well. I hope they do it. It's a friendly community club. Had some good and no so good days at Victoria Park in the darker days of recent history. The Baz Savage last minute wonder winner was a sight to behold!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you should read Thunder Bolt's signature

Irrelevant. She's trying to make a clever point following on from someone else saying we weren't collecting to fund Archer. Archer had a minority interest in the club one Knight took over. As another poster said, rather than propping up the existing regime it might be better if they went into administration. New owners could come to an agreement with creditors and buy out the club cheaper than reaching an agreement with Sage. Even Jeff Stelling is announcing he will give financial support to any new owners that come in.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hope they survive, I will never forget Fans United and the contribution their fans made, not forgetting their amusing last away game of the season antics every year. The represent everything a football club should mean, local club, for local people.

The one thing that is very stand out on the crowd funding page is the absence of donations and messages from the so called Premier Elite clubs.

Think that sums up football to be honest, we should thank our lucky stars, Knight, Bloom and all those wonderful people past and present who helped save our Albion..

Attachments

• Slider-Penguins.jpg
    Slider-Penguins.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 478

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Will be great if they can sort themselves out. However on the basis it doesnt look like they have been big spenders hopefully it will be a wake up call to them and other clubs with very small gates and players go part time

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
A positive meeting was held with a potential investor on Monday night, apparently from abroad who has proved he has at least £3 million in readily-available assets. Their game on Saturday is heading for a sell-out, and there's a bit more of a positive vibe than there was last week. There seems to be a consensus that having a single owner of the club is not going to be the best idea. The solution proposed is likely to see a single investor own the majority of the club, but with the Supporters Trust (including Jeff Stelling) putting in some money too.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
A proposed takeover, by a local businessman, has collapsed sadly. There was a lot of hope that it would go through this week, but he pulled out yesterday after discussions with the local council and a thorough examination of the club accounts. He was prepared to commit £1.5m immediately, but basically thinks that the club is in such a dire financial position that he would have to commit to putting a large amount of money in for quite some time before the club could run sustainably, which he isn't prepared to do. Considering the club had zero debt just a couple of years ago, some very serious questions need to be asked of the previous two recent owners. Things do not look good at all for the club.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here