Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 100
  1. #71

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Large One View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of the apathy and ambivalence on this thread is quite awful at times.

    The short term memories used by some on here are pitiful to read. Perhaps that's what happens to the mindset now theat we're in the Premier League; nothing else matters and sod the rest - an attitude I sorely hoped we wouldn't pick up once we made it to the top division. So much for wishful thinking.

    Rewind two short decades and remember the parlous state Brighton & Hove Albion was in? We cried out for help and it came in the form of Fans United Day - one of the most important days in the history of the club. Hartlepool United duly laid down and had their tummies tickled, losing 5-0 on the day. And their fans were brilliant in playing their part.

    Now their fans are asking for our help - and what do we reply with? "Get Jeff Stelling to put his money in." Unbelievable, Jeff.

    True, we don't have an absolute obligation to help save Hartlepool United - though to say their fans have only chucked in £340 is bordering on outrageous libel. I sincerely hope Beachy was making an attempt at a dreadful joke. I do, however, feel there's a moral imperative here. They helped us at a time when we BADLY needed it, and no-one was listening. Is it too much to return the favour - however small?
    Probably a bunch of plastic fans who didnt support us during the Gillingham or Withdean years.

    I'd pay no attention to them.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #72
      Members
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      17,354


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simontheseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      No wonder some clubs are going into administration if they can't live within their means.
      Overnight stays won't be the factor in that. A sponsor or two pulling out, unexpected ground / maintenance expenditure, an unexpected relegation. Unless you know their accounts and financial planning, I think it is plain wrong for anyone to just assume they've caused this through not living within their means. I'm sure people said the same thing about us to be honest.
    • #73
      Sex Panther
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      In the field
      Posts
      5,451


      2 Not allowed!
      Got an update from my mate who is involved with the Supporters Trust. There were six potential investors interested, but they’re now down to two. The other four have pulled out after being given access to the club’s accounts. They are, apparently, in a colossal mess.

      As bizarre as it sounds, going into administration ASAP might be their best bet. It results in a 12 point deduction, but if they survive relegation and are out of admin by the end of the season then they can stay in the National League. If they are still in admin by the end of the season, it is a relegation to two leagues below.
    • #74
      living vicariously GOM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Leeds - but not the dirty bit
      Posts
      2,032


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Afraid I have no interest in saving Hartlepool. They have Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Hull not too far away so let them do the decent thing.
      Hull is over 100 miles from Hartlepool. So not very close.
      face piles of trials, with smiles
      it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.
    • #75
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Location
      Sheffield
      Posts
      6,685


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brian Fantana View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Got an update from my mate who is involved with the Supporters Trust. There were six potential investors interested, but they’re now down to two. The other four have pulled out after being given access to the club’s accounts. They are, apparently, in a colossal mess.

      As bizarre as it sounds, going into administration ASAP might be their best bet. It results in a 12 point deduction, but if they survive relegation and are out of admin by the end of the season then they can stay in the National League. If they are still in admin by the end of the season, it is a relegation to two leagues below.
      This is the most sensible post I've seen on the issue. Without seeing the accounts nobody can really comment on what the best way forward for the club is and if it's true that they are a total mess then chucking more money at the situation is not the right way, however charitable it might seem.
    • #76
      Drew drew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      14,738


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GOM View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Hull is over 100 miles from Hartlepool. So not very close.
      I assume you got the gist of what I was getting at!!
    • #77
      Drew drew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      14,738


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by worthingseagull123 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Probably a bunch of plastic fans who didnt support us during the Gillingham or Withdean years.

      I'd pay no attention to them.
      Plastic for 40 years.

      Interested to know how much you will donate and how often, assuming that this call for money will become a regular thing until the club is taken over?

      Hartlepool where until last season a league team but what if they had been a national league team for the last 10 years, would people be so interested? What about national league teams that have gone under over that time and how much did people contribute to them?
    • #78

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Plastic for 40 years.

      Interested to know how much you will donate and how often, assuming that this call for money will become a regular thing until the club is taken over?

      Hartlepool where until last season a league team but what if they had been a national league team for the last 10 years, would people be so interested? What about national league teams that have gone under over that time and how much did people contribute to them?
      I feel for any team that goes under. It is all well and good to blame the boards, but are the fans to blame?

      Sorry but any person without an ounce of empathy is no fan of football.

      40 years you say. I can only assume you recently got your first ticket after moving to them Amex? You seem the sort.
    • #79
      Members
      Join Date
      Dec 2003
      Location
      Worcester England
      Posts
      7,389


      0 Not allowed!
      Why are so many Boro fans donating? (comments like "returning the favour")
    • #80
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2016
      Location
      Norfolk
      Posts
      2,069


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Afraid I have no interest in saving Hartlepool. They have Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Hull not too far away so let them do the decent thing. If Hartlepool bow out then there are plenty of well run clubs in the National League to replace them. Hartlepool fans can start again as did AFC Wimbledon and Rushden and Diamonds!
      Why would the people of Hartlepool support Hull or any of the others you mention ? I find that a bizarre suggestion. Supporting a football club isn’t like supporting a restaurant.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •