View Poll Results: When will we sign THE striker?

Voters
345. You may not vote on this poll
  • Before West Brom away - key game and we need to find a way to win

    6 1.74%
  • Before Chelsea at home - a game to bed in before the big ones

    13 3.77%
  • Before Boro away in the Cup - low-key game to start getting involved

    45 13.04%
  • Before Southampton away - what's the rush?

    21 6.09%
  • Before West Ham at home - typical Albion last minute deal

    72 20.87%
  • We won't sign one

    188 54.49%
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 164
  1. #111
    Members Stat Brother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    West west west Sussex
    Posts
    44,304


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems that we are all agreed that we are not going to be signing a proven young Premier League quality striker this window either?

    If we sign anyone, it’s going to be a calculated gamble on a player who hasn’t actually proved his worth at the top level yet.

    Sights lowered but we’ve done OK with the under the radar players signed so far this season, hopefully we’ll be able to continue this recruitment record.
    I don't think the sights should be lowered, I don't understand why they should have been that high in the first place.

    I'll hazard a guess ALL strikers that were enquired about in the summer, have watched our games and repeatedly said to themselves:-

    "I would have scored that".

    The squad has the players with the ability to make a half decent striker into a multimillionaire over the next 5 months

    If we were Zahahahaless palace with Benteke aimlessly lumbering around up front I'd be praying for a saviour striker who could come in and do it all himself, irrespective of the cost (cos I'm not paying).
    “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
    http://app.strava.com/clubs/north-stand-geeks


    .

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #112
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      45,835


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I don't think the sights should be lowered, I don't understand why they should have been that high in the first place.

      I'll hazard a guess ALL strikers that were enquired about in the summer, have watched our games and repeatedly said to themselves:-

      "I would have scored that".

      The squad has the players with the ability to make a half decent striker into a multimillionaire over the next 5 months

      If we were Zahahahaless palace with Benteke aimlessly lumbering around up front I'd be praying for a saviour striker who could come in and do it all himself, irrespective of the cost (cos I'm not paying).
      I really doubt that any striker on 100k plus a week will take a big pay cut to prove themselves again and get another transfer to a bigger club over the next year or so. Their agent certainly wouldn’t be recommending it.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff
    • #113
      Members B.W.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      12,956


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bob'n'weave View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Yes, ok. It's all about minimal risk/management, we must strengthen where we can and utilise what we have across the board, and at this stage that is all we have control over. Expecting a new striker, no matter how proven, to come in, fit in, stay fit/uninjured and bang them in regularly is rather optimistic too. I'm just saying that we should not write ourselves off with an ever-improving squad and a good loan striker if we don't nail the 'holy grail' up front saviour some seem to think we are f***ed without.
      We are not fast improving... in fact, our form is poor more recently, 1 win in 11 I believe... given this, I really do think we NEED a quality striker... it is NOT a nice to have... it is essential...
      SockMonster Quote: “I agree with BW… I always agree with BW. He is the font of all knowledge.”
    • #114
      Members Stat Brother's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West west west Sussex
      Posts
      44,304


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I really doubt that any striker on 100k plus a week will take a big pay cut to prove themselves again and get another transfer to a bigger club over the next year or so. Their agent certainly wouldn’t be recommending it.
      That's my point too, the latest nonsense being Hernandez.
      I can see how a squad like palaces' might feel they 'need' someone with proven qualities of Premier League football, no matter how sparse it is.

      The Albion don't, but what this squad does need, is an improvement on what it has, which is Championship at best and unreliable.

      This squad has created plenty of chances, a player with mobility and an eye for goal would be well on their way to double figures by now.
      If they were there already, the club could conceivably be ready to move them on, in the Summer, for 10 times what they paid.

      The bar is so low for a Premier League goal scorer, even lower for an Albion one, not doing a deal would make a mockery of gaining promotion, which is why I think it'll happen.
      But more importantly why I think (as with many of us) the signing will be greated by the customary 'wwhhhhooooooo'
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      http://app.strava.com/clubs/north-stand-geeks


      .
    • #115
      Members B.W.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      12,956


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simontheseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It's highly unlikely a high quality striker will join a team 3 points above the relegation zone 11 days into the transfer window.

      I would expect a high quality striker to wait until towards the end of January before making a decision on whether we are in a good position to avoid relegation. The only alternative would be to pay over the odds in transfer, signing on and agent fees now, and offer ridiculous wages and a generous relegation release clause.
      We may well have to pay 'over the odds', but that price will be the market price, no matter how much PB bleats about it... a striker now versus end of window may well be worth the 'extra' money... ask yourself how much relegation will cost, then have a rethink...
      SockMonster Quote: “I agree with BW… I always agree with BW. He is the font of all knowledge.”
    • #116
      Members Weststander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Withdean area
      Posts
      17,777


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I really doubt that any striker on 100k plus a week will take a big pay cut to prove themselves again and get another transfer to a bigger club over the next year or so. Their agent certainly wouldn’t be recommending it.
      This.
      Which rules out great strikers such as Sturridge.
    • #117
      Members B.W.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      12,956


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      That's my point too, the latest nonsense being Hernandez.
      I can see how a squad like palaces' might feel they 'need' someone with proven qualities of Premier League football, no matter how sparse it is.

      The Albion don't, but what this squad does need, is an improvement on what it has, which is Championship at best and unreliable.

      This squad has created plenty of chances, a player with mobility and an eye for goal would be well on their way to double figures by now.
      If they were there already, the club could conceivably be ready to move them on, in the Summer, for 10 times what they paid.

      The bar is so low for a Premier League goal scorer, even lower for an Albion one, not doing a deal would make a mockery of gaining promotion, which is why I think it'll happen.
      But more importantly why I think (as with many of us) the signing will be greated by the customary 'wwhhhhooooooo'
      This is spot on... especially the bit about why we WILL FINALLY make a quality striker signing... TB is no mug, and the impact of not signing will be too great for even bullsh1tter-in-chief PB to manage...
      SockMonster Quote: “I agree with BW… I always agree with BW. He is the font of all knowledge.”
    • #118

      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by B.W. View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      We may well have to pay 'over the odds', but that price will be the market price, no matter how much PB bleats about it... a striker now versus end of window may well be worth the 'extra' money... ask yourself how much relegation will cost, then have a rethink...
      You say this like Paul Barber is a total idiot. He knows all this. They aren't sitting on their hands doing nothing. Accusing him of "bleating" is a cheap shot and says far more about you than it really does about how he is going about his business.

      Oh, and it's easy to bore on about spending other peoples money isn't it.
    • #119
      Members Lower West Stander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Location
      Back in Sussex
      Posts
      2,225


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Couldn't Be Hyypia View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You say this like Paul Barber is a total idiot. He knows all this. They aren't sitting on their hands doing nothing. Accusing him of "bleating" is a cheap shot and says far more about you than it really does about how he is going about his business.

      Oh, and it's easy to bore on about spending other peoples money isn't it.
      Paul Barber knew this in the summer too.

      But we didn't sign anyone.

      The poll results are quite telling I think in respect of our confidence in the club to follow through on the bleedin obvious. .
    • #120
      Part time moderator Giraffe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      21,552


      0 Not allowed!
      Lets be honest if they really wanted to break the bank and sign a player they should have done it by now. The fixtures coming up from now until the end of February will make or break our season, 5 out of 6 against teams below us. If they really felt they had to have a striker you would get them in start of January and then they'd be up and running for these crucial games.

      I really think they feel we can get by without one, so it would only be a good value signing that we get now or nothing at all, not a break the bank massive signing.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •