Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Insomnia

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Me too. I find that red wine helps, which is probably not the best.....I envy people who can switch off. I used to pick a lot of fights with people and rage against the unfairness and stipidity of everything, eventually finding sleep through the comfort of knowing I was right, but that has dwindled. I am now so anxious that I get back on the train most days to check I haven't left anything behind, even though I already checked. I have no idea what its all about, but I am nearly 60 and have been like a cat on a hot tin roof all my life. If there is any one thing to focus on, though, it is depression. Keep that at bay (gallows humour works for me) and you are half way there. Often I remind myself that life for many is a few decades of discomfort and diasppointmet followed by death. That always cheers me up. And dark music. Aside from the depression, the other thing I'd recommend is exercise and healthy eating. And moderating the vices (my smoking is now almost negligible - the days of 60 Marlborough are a distant puff of smoke). Take it easy, and my best wishes.

Great post. I can relate to a lot of this, my sense of humour is appalling and embarrassing, even I think I'm weird. Also, the older I get I check stuff over and over, lights, heating, keys, money, plastic etc. etc. I never used to be like it

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great post. I can relate to a lot of this, my sense of humour is appalling and embarrassing, even I think I'm weird. Also, the older I get I check stuff over and over, lights, heating, keys, money, plastic etc. etc. I never used to be like it

Cheers! I think it may be part of the human condition. We have never been keen on discussing mental health and it still remains somewhat taboo. Narly 25 years ago I mentioned to a work colleague I wes feling a bit down (over my divorce and custody battle) and he actually walked away. I felt about an inch tall. That's less likely to happen today, but even so, we tend to keep schtum especially about the so-called minor issues (moderate insomnia, anxiety, confusion). A good mate of mine who lives a charmed life is so forgetful now (he's 61) he carries around a laminated sheet with a list of things he needs to do when he goes out (keys, phone, lock door etc). He's not anxious, but if he were like me it would be comedy every time he went out (if it were me I would probably 'forget' the laminate, then not be able to get back in doors because I'd 'forgotten' my key, then spend 20 minutes panicking and faffing, only to find the key and the laminate in a different compartment in my bag - and I do this sort of thing regularly). But.... you can't take it all too seriously. I accept fluctuating mood, anxiety and depression as part of life. I commute to London (not every day as I can work at home, luckily) and get 2 boosts of an hour of my iPod music when I do so, and that always perks me up. I laugh out loud several times a day, and I enjoy all small victories, which includes finding myslf once again alive each day, and my loved ones happy, engaged and safe. Everything else is just my brain biochemistry bubbling away, and that is simply what it is. All the best.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Cheers! I think it may be part of the human condition. We have never been keen on discussing mental health and it still remains somewhat taboo. Narly 25 years ago I mentioned to a work colleague I wes feling a bit down (over my divorce and custody battle) and he actually walked away. I felt about an inch tall. That's less likely to happen today, but even so, we tend to keep schtum especially about the so-called minor issues (moderate insomnia, anxiety, confusion). A good mate of mine who lives a charmed life is so forgetful now (he's 61) he carries around a laminated sheet with a list of things he needs to do when he goes out (keys, phone, lock door etc). He's not anxious, but if he were like me it would be comedy every time he went out (if it were me I would probably 'forget' the laminate, then not be able to get back in doors because I'd 'forgotten' my key, then spend 20 minutes panicking and faffing, only to find the key and the laminate in a different compartment in my bag - and I do this sort of thing regularly). But.... you can't take it all too seriously. I accept fluctuating mood, anxiety and depression as part of life. I commute to London (not every day as I can work at home, luckily) and get 2 boosts of an hour of my iPod music when I do so, and that always perks me up. I laugh out loud several times a day, and I enjoy all small victories, which includes finding myslf once again alive each day, and my loved ones happy, engaged and safe. Everything else is just my brain biochemistry bubbling away, and that is simply what it is. All the best.

yeah, I think you have a healthy attitude. A few months back I was late for work because I had to get off the train because I couldn't find my ticket in my bag. I went back home and searched everywhere .... then remembered it was in the 'secret pocket' of my bag!!!!

All the best :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bruno said the same thing in an article recently. Also think about what you're eating and drinking in the later part of the day, obviously avoiding stimulants like caffeine, fizzy drinks. I try to be in bed an hour before sleeping, as you say, no screens, and I'll read to slow the mind down. Might try the sleep cycle app as I'd be interested in monitoring it. I've also been doing Yoga at lunchtimes 3 or 4 times per week which is amazing, I'm completely hooked on the whole concept of a work out but also about breathing, meditation and calmness. I've also got the Headspace app, and just amazing what simply taking 5 or 10mins out of your day and breathing can do for your mental wellbeing. Max Strom is another one to watch on Youtube who gave a Tedtalk and breathing techniques.

I read about a breathing technique which is so boring it probably sends me to sleep just doing it. Breathe in to the count of 7, hold it for the count of 4, and breathe out to the count of 7. Apparently it slows the body down so it starts relaxing.
I have tried it and don't think I've got past ten times.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I read about a breathing technique which is so boring it probably sends me to sleep just doing it. Breathe in to the count of 7, hold it for the count of 4, and breathe out to the count of 7. Apparently it slows the body down so it starts relaxing.

Hey, that actually works! :thumbsup: :cheers:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I find that reading the above post works for me. I've slept like a log for the past week and have never yet got past the first two sentences :yawn:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
grrr bitch of a night now at the do I go back to bed stage or stay up for the footy (which involves going out to a local Chelsea pub which is fricking old school and rough as) I dunno if it is classed as a disorder but it is so pants if you get it, quite harsh on your mental and physical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here