Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Insomnia

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Fair play to you. Up nice and early to make brekkie then

Have we got any medals yet?

Think she'd kill me if I took her up breakfast this time of the morning :lolol:
As to the medals ,I have no idea but I very much doubt it ....

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Think she'd kill me if I took her up breakfast this time of the morning :lolol:
As to the medals ,I have no idea but I very much doubt it ....

Bring back Eddie the Seagull for a laugh I say
I dont distinguish between morning afternoon or evening right now. Very frustrating. I wanna go make some soup or something and watch the olympics too but would wake the old man up and its cold down there

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Bring back Eddie the Seagull for a laugh I say
I dont distinguish between morning afternoon or evening right now. Very frustrating. I wanna go make some soup or something and watch the olympics too but would wake the old man up and its cold down there

Must be so frustrating for you , at least I only seem to go a few days when I wake up early. Never have any trouble getting to sleep ,but often wake after 4_5 hours . I'm someone who can't pay there awake , I'd sooner get up .
You'll have to creep down quiteley and get some soup .

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Must be so frustrating for you , at least I only seem to go a few days when I wake up early. Never have any trouble getting to sleep ,but often wake after 4_5 hours . I'm someone who can't pay there awake , I'd sooner get up .
You'll have to creep down quiteley and get some soup .

It is infuriating mate. I am not 100% it's insomnia anymore even, sometimes it is I suppose, perhaps sleeping patterns, its new to me and i dont like it one bit - really screws your day up

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
It is infuriating mate. I am not 100% it's insomnia anymore even, sometimes it is I suppose, perhaps sleeping patterns, its new to me and i dont like it one bit - really screws your day up

I can imagine

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Have you considered changing your diet? Sounds drastic, but I did the keto diet (low carb high fat) for 12 weeks last year. My sleeping and general energy levels were massively different. I slept through the night every night without waking up, which NEVER happens. It had a huge impact on my energy levels during the day too. I stopped being tired at work.

The biggest draw backs were no beer and exercise being 10x more difficult with so little carbs, but sleeping wise, I can confidently say that what I eat has a much bigger impact on how I sleep than I ever realised.

brexit

Feb 14, 2018
UK
Insomnia is common. It causes you to toss and turn an think about the day that just passed and what you want to do tomorrow. Once you are into this cycle of thoughts, it is very difficult to talk yourself out of it.

Nevertheless it is useful to listen to a self-hypnosis disc. This gives your brain something to listen to and after about 10 minutes your brain lets go and you drift into a sleep. In a chronic insomniac though this may not help.
Sometimes your brain is simply too active. In this case it is time for some “chemistry”: I would suggest you take 500 mg to 1000 mg of valerian root capsules (from the health food store). Usually this calms your mind within 20 to 30 minutes and helps you to fall asleep. If it does not, add 3 mg of melatonin by mouth. Melatonin and valerian root work together and make you more sleepy than each one alone. If this is still not strong enough, ask your doctor for a prescription sleeping pill.
It would advice you to still try the melatonin/valerian root combination first before you take a sleeping pill. Sleeping pills tend to cause drug dependence, melatonin and valerian root capsules don’t. By spacing real sleeping pills in that way, you may be able to avoid a drug dependency on prescription sleeping pills.
Invest in a nice, soft comfy pillow and mattress (here are some useful reviews https://sleepissimple.co.uk/ – find the best one)
Spend more time outside during daylight. Take your work breaks outside in sunlight, exercise outside, or walk your dog during the day instead of at night.
Avoid big meals at night. Try to make dinnertime earlier in the evening, and avoid heavy, rich foods within two hours of bed. Spicy or acidic foods can cause stomach trouble and heartburn.
Good luck

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Just been reading through this thread as been really struggling lately with sleep. Having kids doesn't help but I've always been a light sleeper and gone through spells of sleep issues despite never (i think) feeling particularly stressed in general. It feels more prolonged at the moment though - get off to sleep OK generally but when I wake around 1/2 that's it: racing thoughts, not even really about work or anything - just random thoughts which keep me too alert to get back to sleep. In the past I've tried all the tricks in the book with very little success - just ended up riding it out and it eventually passes. Feels different this time though - considering going to the doctor but because I've tried all the tricks in the past and nothing has worked I feel quite defeatist. Last resort which I've never given in to is sleeping pills I guess, but reluctant to because don't want to become reliant on them!

Christ sleep issues are a bitch. Those lucky lucky fuckers who fall asleep at the drop of a hat and can sleep through anything

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Just been reading through this thread as been really struggling lately with sleep. Having kids doesn't help but I've always been a light sleeper and gone through spells of sleep issues despite never (i think) feeling particularly stressed in general. It feels more prolonged at the moment though - get off to sleep OK generally but when I wake around 1/2 that's it: racing thoughts, not even really about work or anything - just random thoughts which keep me too alert to get back to sleep. In the past I've tried all the tricks in the book with very little success - just ended up riding it out and it eventually passes. Feels different this time though - considering going to the doctor but because I've tried all the tricks in the past and nothing has worked I feel quite defeatist. Last resort which I've never given in to is sleeping pills I guess, but reluctant to because don't want to become reliant on them!

Christ sleep issues are a bitch. Those lucky lucky fuckers who fall asleep at the drop of a hat and can sleep through anything
I had it for years and eventually went and got sleeping pills. I only take half and every other night but they've done the trick. I used to worry about becoming reliant on them but then couldn't actually come up with any good reason why reliance on them was so bad! Worst case they don't work so then back to square 1

Mine are called Zopiclone and they are brilliant. Doc will be reluctant maybe, just insist on a trial go or something

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I had it for years and eventually went and got sleeping pills. I only take half and every other night but they've done the trick. I used to worry about becoming reliant on them but then couldn't actually come up with any good reason why reliance on them was so bad! Worst case they don't work so then back to square 1

Mine are called Zopiclone and they are brilliant. Doc will be reluctant maybe, just insist on a trial go or something
Sounds good- thank you for the advice! Perhaps worth giving a go then 😬

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016

Give the over the counter sleeping pills a try first. Not the nytol ones, the ones you can buy at the pharmacy. I get mine in Tesco pharmacy - 50mg.
My mind never switches off and these are the only things that help me. I just take them when I'm exhausted and not every night.
Sleep deprivation really isn't nice. 💤

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Give the over the counter sleeping pills a try first. Not the nytol ones, the ones you can buy at the pharmacy. I get mine in Tesco pharmacy - 50mg.
My mind never switches off and these are the only things that help me. I just take them when I'm exhausted and not every night.
Sleep deprivation really isn't nice. 💤
Good point re over counter ones. I survived on just anti histamines for years

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
@BN41Albion do you exercise? I’m naturally afflicted by a similar very active mind as yours, but I sleep so much better when that day I’d been for a brisk walk, or to yoga or a bike ride. Another well known factor is zero mobile/pc screen-time before sleep time, if I make the cut off 10pm, then read or watch a movie/recorded progs, I find that makes a big difference.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
I posted this in another thread about CBD but it might help someone

Other than the standard advice of dark room, not too much caffeine, good bedroom temp, no screens before bed, the following might be useful.

Deep breathing. Keeping your mouth closed, inhale quietly through your nose while counting to 4. Hold your breath for a count of 7. Exhale slowly through your mouth for a count of 8. Repeat this cycle around 6 times before returning to normal breathing.

Dont lie in bed for hours. If not asleep for 20/30 mins, get up walk about/stretch, read a book for a brief period.

Walk 40 min + a day or another form of exercise where your brain is forced to engage differently

Talk through the thoughts running through your head that you mentioned with someone you trust or a therapist.

Longer term - meditation to help manage those thoughts.

Increase Vitamin D levels - low Vit D levels have been linked to low quality/difficulty sleeping.

Accept you might not sleep sometimes and thats ok. A process of letting go may allow many more sleep improved nights.

Hope some of that helps

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
@BN41Albion do you exercise? I’m naturally afflicted by a similar very active mind as yours, but I sleep so much better when that day I’d been for a brisk walk, or to yoga or a bike ride. Another well known factor is zero mobile/pc screen-time before sleep time, if I make the cut off 10pm, then read or watch a movie/recorded progs, I find that makes a big difference.

Good advice. I found that I got into a habit of looking at my phone whilst in bed and it would keep my mind active or something and it would take me longer to get to sleep.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I can’t sleep unless I have something playing in the background - preferably something I’ve heard a thousand times before so that my brain doesn’t tune into it, old episodes of Blackadder or The Simpsons usually.

There’s a great album by Max Ricther called (funnily enough) Sleep, which was made using actual science and has a deliberately hypnotic quality - its 8 hours long and I challenge anyone to get to the end of it;

https://dg.lnk.to/sleep-8hours

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good advice. I found that I got into a habit of looking at my phone whilst in bed and it would keep my mind active or something and it would take me longer to get to sleep.

I often keep mine downstairs.

Our ‘kids’ are at home, so we don’t have the concern of being telephoned for an emergency in the night.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here