Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rooney Rule (Chris Hughton for England)

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42623021

So given that Chris is the only top flight manager that ticks the BAME box, do you think we'll lose him to Engerlaand after the world cup this year?

By what has been said, he'll have to be interviewed at least...

Doesn't necessarily mean Hughton would be interviewed- whilst there aren't many BAME managers at the top level currently, it doesn't mean retired England players of BAME backgrounds might not apply and- if they had the requisite badges, presumably- get on the list.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Firstly, I don’t think Southgate will lose his job. Even if he did I think Hughton would deserve an interview based upon his experience if England were looking for an English manager (I know he played for Ireland but he was born in England). So I don’t think the Rooney rule would make a difference here

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Ridiculous decision, how about interviewing the most suitable candidates instead of an exercise in 'inclusiveness.' Does this mean Paul Ince will get an interview?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ridiculous decision, how about interviewing the most suitable candidates instead of an exercise in 'inclusiveness.' Does this mean Paul Ince will get an interview?

Ridiculous IMO. Football in this country is possibly the cleanest meritocracy of any industry. Teams would sign a Green skinned North Korean clone if he guaranteed them 25 goals a season. Why would they turn down a supremely talented Manager regardless of race or creed? If CH left does anyone think he would be short of offers? There must be a reason why there aren't more BAME managers but I do not believe it is racism especially at the top level. There is too much money at stake for that....

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

You need to read this properly. All it's saying is that they will interview a minimum of one suitably qualified BAME candidate for a given role. It doesn't mean this will be at the expense of other (white) candidates. Nor does it mean those who aren't qualified will be interviewed as some kind of tokenism. They can shortlist as many people, of any ethnic background, as they like (and presumably the shortlist will, regardless of this rule, still be massively dominated by white men).

Nobody is going to miss out here, there's no need for you to panic.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
There must be a reason why there aren't more BAME managers but I do not believe it is racism especially at the top level. There is too much money at stake for that....

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but don't we at least owe it to people to make sure things are being done objectively? There is such a thing as subconscious bias, which can be every bit as influential in decision-making as any sort of overt racist view. In the Premier League and Football League, we regularly see the same old tired managerial candidates being hired, no matter how badly their previous jobs went, which does rather hint that there's a bit of an old boys network in place (I'm not saying that in itself is racist, merely that it lessens the chances of anybody outside their circle of chums breaking into the industry).

I think this is a positive thing. It doesn't harm anybody else, and it might just cause a few people of BAME origin to think positively about what they can offer the game, rather than assuming they'll never have a chance.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Unless they’re saying the majority of club owners are racist, they’re not fixing the issue. There’s too much money in football to not pick a BAME manager if he’s the best person available.

We need to do more to encourage BAME to take their coaching badges and get on the scene. But forcing clubs to have to take BAME people in interviews doesn’t seem the right way to go about the problem.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
You need to read this properly. All it's saying is that they will interview a minimum of one suitably qualified BAME candidate for a given role. It doesn't mean this will be at the expense of other (white) candidates. Nor does it mean those who aren't qualified will be interviewed as some kind of tokenism. They can shortlist as many people, of any ethnic background, as they like (and presumably the shortlist will, regardless of this rule, still be massively dominated by white men).

Nobody is going to miss out here, there's no need for you to panic.

I didn't state that i thought anyone was going to 'miss out' nor do i say i was in a 'panic.'

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
What this basically means is that every time the England Managers job is up for grabs for the foreseeable future, our Chris will get an interview.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ridiculous IMO. Football in this country is possibly the cleanest meritocracy of any industry.

I was thinking of meritocracy when the same old failed faces ended up in the hot seats at Everton, West Ham, WBA, Palace.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Why is there an assumption that Hughton wants the England job?

The Rooney Rule has worked in the NFL. I'm not sure why or how it has (there was a lot of criticism at the time that it would be "wasting the time" of black coaches who would be interviewed as a box-ticking exercise and I'm not sure exactly how it has proven not to be the case), but it has.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Unless they’re saying the majority of club owners are racist, they’re not fixing the issue. There’s too much money in football to not pick a BAME manager if he’s the best person available.

We need to do more to encourage BAME to take their coaching badges and get on the scene. But forcing clubs to have to take BAME people in interviews doesn’t seem the right way to go about the problem.

Chris Hughton disagrees.
"'Nobody is saying an organisation has to employ a certain amount of black and ethnic coaches and managers - but they should at least have the opportunity to get to the interview process, to get in front of people.
'The percentage of black and ethnic minority players is growing higher and higher but those at the top of management hasn't moved at all.'
via
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...oss-Chris-Hughton-backs-call-Rooney-Rule.html

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Why is there an assumption that Hughton wants the England job?

The Rooney Rule has worked in the NFL. I'm not sure why or how it has (there was a lot of criticism at the time that it would be "wasting the time" of black coaches who would be interviewed as a box-ticking exercise and I'm not sure exactly how it has proven not to be the case), but it has.

If it’s applied to the Prem and Championship clubs, it should be for an English manager regardless of racial background, last time I looked the was no shortage of non English football managers at this level.

Unless of course we think there is a significant cohort of football club Chairmen that are rabidly racist but are absolutely not xenophobic.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Ridiculous IMO. Football in this country is possibly the cleanest meritocracy of any industry. Teams would sign a Green skinned North Korean clone if he guaranteed them 25 goals a season. Why would they turn down a supremely talented Manager regardless of race or creed? If CH left does anyone think he would be short of offers? There must be a reason why there aren't more BAME managers but I do not believe it is racism especially at the top level. There is too much money at stake for that....

4% of (the 482 roles) coaching roles in the 4 football divisions in the UK are BAME. 33% of Premier League players in 2016/17 were from a BAME background.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42178440
https://talksport.com/football/prop...premier-league-began-talksport-special-report

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Chris Hughton - England

FA chairman Greg Clarke last year on possibility of Chris Hughton succeeding Gareth Southgate in the future: “Crumbs yes, why not? It would be wonderful to see a black England manager. That would put us forward 20 years.”

From Henry Winter’s Twitter.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here