Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rooney Rule (Chris Hughton for England)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Well, the percentage of BAME players was 33 per cent on the opening day of 2017-18, compared to 16.5 per cent 25 years ago.

According to wikipedia, 87% of the UK population is white.

Is anything being done to get more white footballers into professional football, as they appear to be massively under represented on the basis of the population mix?

Or would it be considered racist to call for more white players?

How the hell are we going to convince people that everyone is equal, and the best candidate should get the position, when there are so many of these BAME type group labelling coloured people as "different".

good post

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Really really worth listening to this, especially those against this initiative.

https://talksport.com/football/kick-bame-special-wednesday-october-11-171011257842

Our Chris is on it talking about his experiences and numerous other things.

Al those people either confused about how this rule might improve matters, the myth about if you are good enough then you will get a job, Hughton's take on the rule and a few other things beside would do well to have a listen to this radio show that The Viper posted. It's extremely illuminating. I disagree with a few things on there especially from the guest who sits in the House of Lords, he comes across as generally ignorant except for wanting to push a wider agenda but the comments from our very own Chris Ramsay, from Paul Elliott and from Jason Lee are all excellent.

I agree with a lot of what has been written on here. We, in English football have got a lot to be proud of with how we've fought racism on the pitch and I hope that this initiative is taken as another positive step along that road. All the black interviewees expressed how proud they were of being British and that it isn't necessarily a racist thing that they aren't getting a look in but that there are certain ways of doing things, certain attitudes and networks of people that are hindering progress.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Got to admit I'm a little bit disappointed in CH getting involved with this and his comments

Yep. I had simply no idea that CH would do or say something like this.

hughton.png

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
good post

Is anything being done to get more white footballers into professional football, as they appear to be massively under represented on the basis of the population mix?

Or would it be considered racist to call for more white players?

Agreed. I can't believe that managers and campaigners like er, the Brighton manager, Chris Hughton simply doesn't get it, is wasting his time and has simply got the wrong end of the stick. Shocking! Hughton out.

hughton.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Anyone who has heard Liam Rosenior speak or read his Guardian column should not be surprised at all at Chris Hughton's vocal support for this rule. It really is no big secret in how CH views his responsibilities as the highest placed black football manager in the English game.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Yep. I had simply no idea that CH would do or say something like this.

View attachment 92819

No need to be sarcastic. This has nothing to do with a picture saying show racism the red card which is what I am trying to say

You are missing my point/opinion

I find it more racist to say we must interview a black manager for a job cos thats the right thing to do. Then if you want to be fair get everyones cv's with the same name on and do an interview over skype with no video, its just nonsense IMO

In SA (I know its not comparing apples with apples) but you dont only have to interview x amount of black people for a job but you have to employ x amount and generally have one registered as a director. And it ****s stuff up. not because they are black (and unfortunately still relatively uneducated- apartheid still is there IMO) they just arent the best person for the job so service levels go down as a result. I have first hand experience of this and can give some shocking examples. I digress

To put it simply black, gay, white, lesbian, orange, male, female, I really dont see any reason to have any rules/quotas, best person for the job is the only requirement. To be saying x% of premiership managers are y is just ridiculous. Its not like its a big enough data sample anyways

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I find it more racist to say we must interview a black manager for a job cos thats the right thing to do. Then if you want to be fair get everyones cv's with the same name on and do an interview over skype with no video, its just nonsense IMO

If you haven't had a chance to yet, I really would urge you to give that radio show a listen. After listening to it, I'm convinced that the problem isn't one of racism but a culture and network of who knows who that currently is holding black managers back. All this rule does is make clubs aware of the huge untapped pool of talent out there. No-one is under any obligation to employ anyone because of the colour of their skin with this new rule in place.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
If you haven't had a chance to yet, I really would urge you to give that radio show a listen. After listening to it, I'm convinced that the problem isn't one of racism but a culture and network of who knows who that currently is holding black managers back. All this rule does is make clubs aware of the huge untapped pool of talent out there. No-one is under any obligation to employ anyone because of the colour of their skin with this new rule in place.

I havent Buzzer but I will now, perhaps I shouldnt have commented if my understanding isnt 100%, I think I missing the point somehow perhaps'. I do know that there will be no obligation (which is why I said comparing to SA is not apples for apples where it is). I just find these things baffling in England but I will listen to the radio show to see where I am missing the point :thumbsup:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Dont understand this. Cant believe any chairman care who manages there club. Just wants success. Always pointed out that x % of black players but far fewer % managers. Hasnt anybody realised that they go home when they finish playing.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Agreed. I can't believe that managers and campaigners like er, the Brighton manager, Chris Hughton simply doesn't get it, is wasting his time and has simply got the wrong end of the stick. Shocking! Hughton out.

View attachment 92820

Indeed, in that article he is shilling for the Daily Mail with thatextremist Christian Hoddle, something must be done to protect the club. Maybe a boycott of Spurs home game.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Got to admit i cant see anything racist there mate

He is actively supporting the racist organ that is the Daily Mail.........I’ve seen the comments in the “Virgin bin the Mail” thread........he may as well be in Der Sturmer.........Nazi scum out of our dugout!

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Coloured was used as a derogatory term by both black and white South Africans and was used for any mixed race including Indian and Asian herritage. So yes the orthodoxy is to use Black. I am sure Giggs would qualify but he may not be descriminated against because of his appearance anyway. It does ask the question though how much of a percentage of DNA qualifys you.

I cant see the Rooney rule being a bad thing if it makes players consider the cost of getting the badges and time and effort more worthwhile. We need more qualified coaches whatever their colour to keep up with other countries.

You are wrong, blacks in SA will derive from tribes such as zulus and the Xhosa, neither consider themselves coloured, which is a term the millions of mixed heritage South Africans consider themselves to be.

In this construct CH is not black like his Ghanaian father or white like his Irish mother, and given that he played for the ROI national team, he evidently felt more aligned to his mother’s side than his old man.

Accordingly if he is black so is Ryan Giggs and Ross Barkley, even though they are optically as white as a ghost. But like you say this is essentially about appearance, so whilst Ryan and Ross can truthfully state they are black there skin just doesn’t cut the mustard.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Anyone that is shilling the Daily Mail is a racist, don’t you know there’s a campaign by “stop the hate”?

Get your apologist head out your goose stepping arse Heinrich. Hughton out!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here