Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rooney Rule (Chris Hughton for England)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Crumbs is the future, you know.
He used to play at the back, constantly clearing up.

He's lined up for a job with Reading, the BISCUITMEN :jester:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
What a load of righteous hand wringing coming from the FA.

The best candidates for the job should be interviewed irrespective of any 'box ticking'

TRUE. But perhaps that is not what is happening. The NFL had this issue and the Rooney rule was hugely successful in resolving this. Those minorities that had the relevant credentials were obviously not getting interviewed as they weren't in the jobs - we might believe that the non-BAME interviewees were always the best candidates, but since the Rooney rule there has a been a marked increase in BAME NFL managers/coaches.

@chaileyjem posted earlier the numbers - 4% of coaches are BAME and 33% of players. What we need to know is how many BAME candidates are there - coaches in the system / outside of the EPL/EFL. Can anyone come up with these numbers?

I found this report interesting, although it doesn't discuss how many BAME candidates there might be.
http://thesptt.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/2017-SPTT-report-print.pdf

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I may be old fashioned but think the criteria for appointing a manager should be qualification to do the job irrespective of colour of skin or race . If there are no suitably qualified of any race why should a club have to include so many on their list and give them an interview.

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
I don't really see why this has to be a thing, it should be the best candidates to do the job, regardless of colour or age or whatever.

Whilst the same old dinosaur managers do continually get jobs (Allardyce, Pulis, Warnock etc) somehow, it would be good to see people who have worked their way through lower leagues whether they've black or white get a chance.

It irks me when you hear people like Paul Ince or John Barnes complaining why they don't get jobs or don't get a look in, maybe it's because you're shite. Did Ince not get banned for shouting and swearing at officials and Barnes was utterly hopeless at both Celtic and Tranmere, hardly both glowing references to enhance your managerial CV. Even Dwight Yorke complaining last season that he went for the Villa job and didn't even get a call back, why should he expect a call back? Because he's black? He didn't get a call back because he's never had a managers job before so why on earth would Villa employ someone with absolutely no experience.

Get a lower league job or get a coaching role to learn the trade and then become a manager.

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
Also, when they mention about Hughton being the only black manager in the top flight, I always completely forget about it despite him being the manager of Brighton. I don't see him as 'our black manager' I see him as the manager of Brighton and Hove Albion.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The classic example of a man capable of doing a job is Chris Powell who seems to be given many jobs and if I was a div 1 or 2 chairman would look at to be my manager. but he is not good enough for the top of the championship or premier league. I wouldnt consider Paul Ince or John Barnes on their past managerial record.but possibly would Ruud Guiit

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
So if all the BAME managers are dogs*it and in the lower leagues, they will interview at least one of them????

Isn't that worse than interviewing none of them?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it not more honest to interview those with the required qualifications and experience who stand a chance of getting the job rather than somebody with out who stands no chance whatsoever irrespective of colour or creed.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why not Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink or Ruud Gullit, after all they are both as black as Newgate’s knocker?

I would like to see a rule brought in where managers have to qualify to manage their country in the same way players do (I realise that system is currently not perfect in sport).

It should be an honour for a manager to manage their country, not yet another managerial money merry go round that leaves coaches in many countries without opportunities.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
This has nothing to do with forcing the appointment of a BAME manager - it is mainly about encouraging more BAME players into coaching. This was extremely eloquently explained on Radio 5 Live today by our very own Liam Rosenior, who stated that the current ratio of BAME coaches and managers is NOT discouraging him from coaching, but it is discouraging many other top BAME players ("far better players than me", was his quote) from doing so.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Certain parts of the world have a significantly higher value on education over sport and children are not pushed to succeed in sport at the expense of studies. Considering how densely populated Asia is we don't have many Asians playing football in England or in many European top leagues.

The majority of the top players come from South America or Europe, from countries who have a long history of producing footballers at the highest level. Similarly in England we have a very similar history in the managers that we produce, all are great organizers of a defense and stick to basics following their appointments and slowly introduce more flair players. Ultimately safe and steady.

Clubs will either appoint a manager with a great CV and reputation or an ex player and we don't have many clubs who keep players long enough to get to Hero status especially not from BAME backgrounds

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ridiculous decision, how about interviewing the most suitable candidates instead of an exercise in 'inclusiveness.' Does this mean Paul Ince will get an interview?

I completely agree. All the PC bollocks these days for the slightest things (see ladies first thread) and this is actually racist. It shouldn’t be even taken into consideration the colour of someone’s skin. Pathetic.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Some seriously backward thinking comments on this thread. Oh sorry, I meant seriously thick and racist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here