Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rooney Rule (Chris Hughton for England)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ridiculous IMO. Football in this country is possibly the cleanest meritocracy of any industry. Teams would sign a Green skinned North Korean clone if he guaranteed them 25 goals a season. Why would they turn down a supremely talented Manager regardless of race or creed? If CH left does anyone think he would be short of offers? There must be a reason why there aren't more BAME managers but I do not believe it is racism especially at the top level. There is too much money at stake for that....

I agree with every sentiment here BUT the current ratio of black footballers to black managers versus ratio of white footballers to white managers does not fit with this analysis. That said, I think we are in transition, which is why the numbers don't match the reality of current practice (which isjust fine - a green north Korean would get the job, as you say, if th best candidate). But I do support the RR - not because it will guarantee 'fairness' (I think the numbers will change because it is already fair) but because it signals that the discrimination of the past is acknowledged. It will not cost anything to interview the best black candidate among all those interviwed, and there is no requirement they get the job, so it is merely symbolic. So I don't support because it will cause no harm, rather I don't oppose it because it will do no harm, much like I don't oppose your growing a hipster beard and wearing a man bag because it will do (me) no harm. Nothing much to see here, in fact.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I always thought he was of African and Irish heritage..........in South Africa he would be described as coloured, is the orthodoxy here that the term “black” incorporates anyone who has African heritage in their genetic back story?

Put another way, can Ryan Giggs be a BAME candidate now, and when Ross Barkley retires from the game can he be a BAME applicant?

Or is it really just about the colour of the skin.
Coloured was used as a derogatory term by both black and white South Africans and was used for any mixed race including Indian and Asian herritage. So yes the orthodoxy is to use Black. I am sure Giggs would qualify but he may not be descriminated against because of his appearance anyway. It does ask the question though how much of a percentage of DNA qualifys you.

I cant see the Rooney rule being a bad thing if it makes players consider the cost of getting the badges and time and effort more worthwhile. We need more qualified coaches whatever their colour to keep up with other countries.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I agree with every sentiment here BUT the current ratio of black footballers to black managers versus ratio of white footballers to white managers does not fit with this analysis. That said, I think we are in transition, which is why the numbers don't match the reality of current practice (which isjust fine - a green north Korean would get the job, as you say, if th best candidate). But I do support the RR - not because it will guarantee 'fairness' (I think the numbers will change because it is already fair) but because it signals that the discrimination of the past is acknowledged. It will not cost anything to interview the best black candidate among all those interviwed, and there is no requirement they get the job, so it is merely symbolic. So I don't support because it will cause no harm, rather I don't oppose it because it will do no harm, much like I don't oppose your growing a hipster beard and wearing a man bag because it will do (me) no harm. Nothing much to see here, in fact.

If you could see the excuse for a beard that I can produce. Trust me you would oppose it! I have a bag for my laptop so halfway there I guess?
I'm not paying a fiver for cornflakes in Hoxton for anyone mind....

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
You need to read this properly. All it's saying is that they will interview a minimum of one suitably qualified BAME candidate for a given role. It doesn't mean this will be at the expense of other (white) candidates. Nor does it mean those who aren't qualified will be interviewed as some kind of tokenism. They can shortlist as many people, of any ethnic background, as they like (and presumably the shortlist will, regardless of this rule, still be massively dominated by white men).

Nobody is going to miss out here, there's no need for you to panic.
Then its tokenism. How patronising is it, too interview someone because they are black? If they were one of the best candidates for the job, they should interviewed anyway, but does that mean the FA would have interviewed Chris at the time Sam Alidyce took over, and then again when Southgate got the job, just because he was the highest ranked black manager, albeit at a Championship side, even though he had no chance of getting the job? What happens is no suitable qualified BAME candidate applies for the role. Do they have to go an convince one to apply, just to be PC?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you could see the excuse for a beard that I can produce. Trust me you would oppose it! I have a bag for my laptop so halfway there I guess?
I'm not paying a fiver for cornflakes in Hoxton for anyone mind....

:bowdown::lolol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So who does Crumbs manage at the moment? If he's that good why have the big clubs not gone for him?

Clearly not using their loaf.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Then its tokenism. How patronising is it, too interview someone because they are black? If they were one of the best candidates for the job, they should interviewed anyway, but does that mean the FA would have interviewed Chris at the time Sam Alidyce took over, and then again when Southgate got the job, just because he was the highest ranked black manager, albeit at a Championship side, even though he had no chance of getting the job? What happens is no suitable qualified BAME candidate applies for the role. Do they have to go an convince one to apply, just to be PC?

:ffsparr: No.

What it means is..

No, I can't be bothered to explain.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Over 50% of the uk population are female. So before we start crying about the lack of bame managers - what about the misogyny of there never having beeen a female top flight manager

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Best man available for the job should get it every time.I feel Chris needs at least 2 more years with us to calm down his over-exuberance.Then England will have the perfect manager.

This. I'm afraid his touchline behaviour is the issue here.

It's a shame. We will see great progress on the BAME front. But his frequent match day fist pumps and gesticulations will ultimately prevent his own career from developing. He's only been kept on because we are so easy going here in Brighton.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Perfectly put.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Well, the percentage of BAME players was 33 per cent on the opening day of 2017-18, compared to 16.5 per cent 25 years ago.

According to wikipedia, 87% of the UK population is white.

Is anything being done to get more white footballers into professional football, as they appear to be massively under represented on the basis of the population mix?

Or would it be considered racist to call for more white players?

How the hell are we going to convince people that everyone is equal, and the best candidate should get the position, when there are so many of these BAME type group labelling coloured people as "different".

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I find this all a bit weird. I'm absolutely not denying that there's an issue with the number of black coaches and how their opportunities may be more limited than white managers. But I really don't see how this fixes that?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
What about these statistics for bame - banding (segregating) every non white into another grouping. This does not show the full picture.

Such as british asians are hugely underrepresented by professional footballers (never mind managers), whereas black people (of any origin) are probably over represented (compared to % of national population). But for some reason this isnt distinguished.

Also sexism in football is also swept under the carpet. Why are their not female managers in the top flights?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here