[Travel] Virgin bin The Daily Mail

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You are advocating and supporting censorship of the press because you don’t want yourself or others to be able to read opinions you disagree with.
You probably don’t even realise this is what you are doing.
I cant emphasize enough how mind numbingly ignorant you are.
All they are doing is pointing out that some businesses public image is incongrous with where they are choosing to allocate their advertising spend.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree, though i dont know why it even crossed your mind.
Mercifully the people i go to football with are nothing like you. Snowflakes are not really our cup of tea.

My dear broflake, you're not very precise or accurate with your insults. Why does that not surprise me?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Stop Funding Hate is a great organisation. I contribute. If we didn't have so much bile (bordering on racism) in our gutter press the world would be a nicer place. Incidentally, I've spent quite a bit of time in hospital waiting rooms recently....it amazes me how many patients (or their carers) pick up the DM. I'm also amazed hospitals provide it, given the DM's stance on EU nurses/doctors, etc.

Not for me Clive re not funding hate

Take this site as an example. There are a myriad of views some which are worthy of contempt. Unless it's libellous it rarerly results in a ban as debate and education are the answer. Whilst it's rare to see someone change thier mind that's not to say it doesn't make them think twice next time or change the mind of someone reading it.

Organisations that try to ban things usually inflame the very opinions they want to silence. I reckon the editors at the mail must think they are doing something right if they have a loyal readership and are annoying the people the paper is squarely not aimed at. If some of the more shrill opinion pieces were ignored or laughed at rather than treated as click bait, advertising revenue and a chance to show some virtue signalling it would do more to make it go away. People just love to be offended.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
there's a lot to dislike about plenty of newspapers, sadly. Get Private Eye and read the 'Street of Shame' section, it'll soon really depress you. The Graun rallies to the mantra of the left yet engages in nepotism (or perhaps just coincidence...), has interesting tax affairs, loves the use of free interns and is staffed by lots of Oxbridge grads.

The Mail, well, it's often beyond parody. Little wonder political debate seems strung out to the extremes these days.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
All they are doing is pointing out that some businesses public image is incongrous with where they are choosing to allocate their advertising spend.

Well their mission statement of what they are about is not simply pointing out businesses public image v where they chose to advertise.
It advocates going that step further and lobbying firms to pull their advertising. Which of course they are free to do.

In the same breath though others are free to ask them what is their goal for doing this, what do they hope to achieve.
Its not rocket science to understand their goal is about censorship of opinions or closure of said publications.

I really cant understand anyone who would support this. The press in this country must be free to print within the confines of the law, if they transgress the law we have bodies to deal with that, they should not bow to the whim of a political pressure group. That way leads to all sorts of problems as history will contest.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Well their mission statement of what they are about is not simply pointing out businesses public image v where they chose to advertise.
It advocates going that step further and lobbying firms to pull their advertising. Which of course they are free to do.

In the same breath though others are free to ask them what is their goal for doing this, what do they hope to achieve.
Its not rocket science to understand their goal is about censorship of opinions or closure of said publications.

I really cant understand anyone who would support this. The press in this country must be free to print within the confines of the law, if they transgress the law we have bodies to deal with that, they should not bow to the whim of a political pressure group. That way leads to all sorts of problems as history will contest.
I'd suggest you address your concerns to Tesco, Paperchase, John Lewis etc...

They are the people making the calls.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'd suggest you address your concerns to Tesco, Paperchase, John Lewis etc...

They are the people making the calls.

Or maybe Virgin who have pulled the Mail from their trains but still spend a fortune advertising in it............who says virtue signaling is dead !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Quite. The only reason I read The Guardian is for its well researched, balanced, well written, insightful, objective, informative and open minded journalism. To suggest anything else is insulting.

:laugh: it is open minded. im a regular reader, its just as guilty of sensationalism and bias as the tabloids, while the columnist may be insightful often are poorly research and a long way from balanced (not they need to be, its their opinion after all).

funny thing about the Mail, if you read news (not "human interest" stories) articles past the first paragraph, you can find the sensationalism turned down and may even be journalism. they seems to think they have to stir reaction in the headline and beginning of a story. Guardian does similar, albeit calmer, read through to the end and you often find a completely different view that negates the tone of the start - is that balance? maybe its just how they teach journalism, grab attention then write up a proper story?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Or maybe Virgin who have pulled the Mail from their trains but still spend a fortune advertising in it............who says virtue signaling is dead !
Haha. Right.

Though I'm not sure anything is in the public domain about the reason for this decision to be completely fair.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
:laugh: it is open minded. im a regular reader, its just as guilty of sensationalism and bias as the tabloids, while the columnist may be insightful often are poorly research and a long way from balanced (not they need to be, its their opinion after all).

funny thing about the Mail, if you read news (not "human interest" stories) articles past the first paragraph, you can find the sensationalism turned down and may even be journalism. they seems to think they have to stir reaction in the headline and beginning of a story. Guardian does similar, albeit calmer, read through to the end and you often find a completely different view that negates the tone of the start - is that balance? maybe its just how they teach journalism, grab attention then write up a proper story?

Very true - I often read it and it can, like the Mail, be beyond parody.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyway. The bigoted will be pleased to know the Mail is still available on BA flights. You take the plain, the moral majority will take the train.

D

Deleted member 22389

Stop Funding Hate is a great organisation. I contribute. If we didn't have so much bile (bordering on racism) in our gutter press the world would be a nicer place. Incidentally, I've spent quite a bit of time in hospital waiting rooms recently....it amazes me how many patients (or their carers) pick up the DM. I'm also amazed hospitals provide it, given the DM's stance on EU nurses/doctors, etc.

My mum has spent quite a bit of time in hospital waiting rooms too, and I haven't seen one Daily Mail, but I just wondered if it was OK for people staying in hospital to read the Daily Mail or would you like to see that banned?. What shall we do only allow the Guardian to be read.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Haha. Right.

Though I'm not sure anything is in the public domain about the reason for this decision to be completely fair.

Not yet anyway.
Makes you wonder though. Virgin media were the first ever targets of stopfundinghate many months ago
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/virgin-media-pull-your-sun-advertising

with the headline "We urge you to take a stand against racism by pulling your advertising from the Sun newspaper"

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Anyway. The bigoted will be pleased to know the Mail is still available on BA flights. You take the plain, the moral majority will take the train.

You mean BA give their customers what they want and dont pander to pathetic censorship campaigns from ignorant fascists.......good on BA.......got to love British!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You mean BA give their customers what they want and dont pander to pathetic censorship campaigns from ignorant fascists.......good on BA.......got to love Spanish!

Corrected for you.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Guardian may be too lefty for some, too snowflake for some, dare I say it? Too cerebral for some but at least it doesn't promote hatred and anger. The Mail does.
Still, it's all online now anyway so I'm sure anyone on Virgins train can still get their fix of Keep Darky Down bile.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here