Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Virgin bin The Daily Mail

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
In a world where the Mail says what it damn well likes, I do find it funny where people think there is censorship and political correctness.

Personally I'm a strong believer in free speech and I'm appalled by the no platform phenomenon.

This country is fantastically different from many others and soon calls an idiot out if you let them speak.

Keep them quiet and they look like a victim.

The editorial policy on this site sums us up. Everyone knows who the idiots are.

Please carry on.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

What is the editorial policy on this site, I have been banned from a thread for months and no one behind the scenes has ever told me why? The issue we have to deal with as a society is the distinction between idiotic views, and views from those we disagree with. The two are not the same, therein lies censorship an no platforming.

To be clear, I don’t care, this site should not be a measure of how free speech functions in this country, it’s a private gig that we all share, and if “free speech” is not part of how it works so be it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What is the editorial policy on this site, I have been banned from a thread for months and no one behind the scenes has ever told me why?.

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?
Its a right royal swindle :lol:

You are though one of a kind, the only person still banned on that thread even though "officially" no one is currently banned on it........someone really wanted you to disappear.......maybe its just mod bantz!

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Interesting that Corbyn, being pro-free speech, has come out against the Virgin ban on the DM
http://uk.businessinsider.com/jerem...-trains-daily-mail-ban-richard-branson-2018-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sense there's something of the tongue in cheek about this. As I understand it the Mail aren't fans of Nationalising the railways and Corbyn is pointing out the Mail is highlighting one of the issues with private companies running it (i.e. 'but your paper thinks privatisation is good?').

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Comparing the Mail to the Guardian demonstrates that either a) People have never looked at the Guardian or b) They are choosing to make a puerile comparison for arguments sake.

Look at their web pages today, the Guardian (obv from a leftist angle) has articles on Brexit, the NHS, teachers, Retail results etc etc.

The Mail has the obligatory sad cancer story then a deep and thoughtful piece on the Queen's bra maker, an insightful analysis of Rosie Huntingdon-Whiteley's tits, then another story about Rosie Huntingdon-Whiteley's arse seamlessly moving in to a piece about LeAnn Rimes arse. I can only see one story (on the front page) concerning Diana but don't worry, there are 8 (eight) about her son. I'll leave it there, I think you get the point.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
I wonder if it might be possible that people might be able to work out for themselves what is good and bad in their own chosen newspapers, whether it is the Mail or the Guardian?
The left will tell you that is impossible.... anyone other than the 156k Guardian readers, simply won't have the intelligence to form their own balanced opinions on issues...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
The left will tell you that is impossible.... anyone other than the 156k Guardian readers, simply won't have the intelligence to form their own balanced opinions on issues...

As a Guardian reader I realise that. but...........

Not everyone on the left is that narrow. Possibly depends on how far left. I don't like sweeping generalisations. Some Guardian readers in the letters page have actually admitted to voting Brexit and continuing to support it!!!!! Shocking

Live and let live........

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

What makes you think you know what 'the left' will 'tell' you, as if 'the left' is a single entity with a hive mind? I can't comment generally on your intelligence because I have no general measure of it, nor do I care, but your statement above is really very stupid. But, do carry on.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm no fan of the mail. I'm often staggered when I sift through a copy at the in laws at the scare mongering and hyperbole of the headlines to get a few tuts from a blue rinse in Tunbridge Wells.

That said, I hate this modern trend to stop advertising in the current bun by complaining on Twitter or in this case Branson deciding what we can and can't read. If someone wants to read why Melanie Philips thinks poor people should be shot or why immigration is terrible in the comfort of thier Spanish villa let them. It's a free country.

This thread should have ended here with this post, #34. Nailed it.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
What makes you think you know what 'the left' will 'tell' you, as if 'the left' is a single entity with a hive mind? I can't comment generally on your intelligence because I have no general measure of it, nor do I care, but your statement above is really very stupid. But, do carry on.
I can read..... that's all it takes to get a view......

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I am very confused now. I thought anything that someone did not like or agree with just got banned.

Is this not the case? I thought our German based friend had banned free speech.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
So Branson decides to take a knee to the Daily Mail to prevent being charged with a hate-hate-crime, and anyone who objects to this post is guilty of a hate-hate-hate-crime.

Hate Crime is just a convoluted way of saying thought crime or wrong think. 1984 is here and Ingsoc are rampant on NSC.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Richard Branson was NEVER involved in the decision to remove the Daily Mail. It was a very small group of people who actually made a commercial decision because we only sell 70 a day. Unfortunately someone in internal comms decided to then align the call to their own personal beliefs and the shitstorm ensued. Personally I dont think it should have gone back on but our shareholders didnt want there to be a misunderstanding that it was a company vendetta against the paper.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here