Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
:ffsparr:

Jeremy Corbyn
Vince Cable
Nicola Sturgeon
Caroline Lucas

All read the Daily Mail.........what was that "solely by wankers"

You should know by now that The Clamp only works in binary .... his little brain can only cope with two possibilities !

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I see Mail readers as similar to people who take the Palace rivalry so seriously (bound to be a lot of crossover), they both react exactly as they are told to do because, well because that's the way they function.

I understand the Daily Mail. I understand the rivalry. I just think both ar for *****.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well their mission statement of what they are about is not simply pointing out businesses public image v where they chose to advertise.
It advocates going that step further and lobbying firms to pull their advertising. Which of course they are free to do.

In the same breath though others are free to ask them what is their goal for doing this, what do they hope to achieve.
Its not rocket science to understand their goal is about censorship of opinions or closure of said publications.

I really cant understand anyone who would support this. The press in this country must be free to print within the confines of the law, if they transgress the law we have bodies to deal with that, they should not bow to the whim of a political pressure group. That way leads to all sorts of problems as history will contest.

It would be great if the Press Association did deal with transgressions but we all know they don't.
Propaganda, half truths, cover ups are peddled in the media every day without censure.
When papers stoop to phone tapping etc, they should've been liable to an independent regulator, but self regulation is no regulation.

We are struggling as football fans due to the lies of one paper. It took over 20 years for the real Truth to come out, but the laws & regulations still apply to us at every game.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not for me Clive re not funding hate

Take this site as an example. There are a myriad of views some which are worthy of contempt. Unless it's libellous it rarerly results in a ban as debate and education are the answer. Whilst it's rare to see someone change thier mind that's not to say it doesn't make them think twice next time or change the mind of someone reading it.

Organisations that try to ban things usually inflame the very opinions they want to silence. I reckon the editors at the mail must think they are doing something right if they have a loyal readership and are annoying the people the paper is squarely not aimed at. If some of the more shrill opinion pieces were ignored or laughed at rather than treated as click bait, advertising revenue and a chance to show some virtue signalling it would do more to make it go away. People just love to be offended.

The reason that it is an effective campaign is it goes to the heart of an obvious hypocrisy. Organisations that pay lip service to inclusion and diversity whilst diverting resources to propping up messages of intolerance are being called out on it. It's up to them to decide what to do.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

What even though you do seem to have a complete and utter obsession with The Mail, and in fact anything that is remotely ‘right of centre’ and doesn’t tie with your political views?? Sorry, I call absolute BS on that post.

More generally though, I really don’t understand this continued hounding of the papers. They are such an irrelevance in terms of news reporting now that it is simply a rag for reporting opinions, as opposed to news. I genuinely don’t believe that the papers have any kind of influence over people’s views on anything important such as foreign policy, NHS, immigration etc, that people will choose to either read it and agree with it, or not read it and choose to disagree. If you don’t like what they are saying, don’t f***ing read it.

Whenever I have had the displeasure of reading it, it is a sh1t paper - and it’s horribly written. But Stop Funding Hate? Do me a favour - that’s sensationalist crap from people who are trying to silence a section of society, which is way more dangerous than any of the nonsense the Mail comes out with.

Well said. :thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I really don't know what the uproar is. It's not been banned outright. One company has decided its a shit rag and binned it off. Fairs. Of course, as per, the right wing contingent suddenly cry freedom. Talk about PC gone mad. Get over it snowflakes.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It would be great if the Press Association did deal with transgressions but we all know they don't.
Propaganda, half truths, cover ups are peddled in the media every day without censure.
When papers stoop to phone tapping etc, they should've been liable to an independent regulator, but self regulation is no regulation.

We are struggling as football fans due to the lies of one paper. It took over 20 years for the real Truth to come out, but the laws & regulations still apply to us at every game.

Rubbish, the laws and regulations that apply to us now are because of the flawed Taylor report, not because of the Sun newspaper.
Their bullshit was known about from day one, you are confusing different conflicting issues toward regulation

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
According to our resident loon who doesnt go to football , Mail readers and fans that dislike Palace are one and the same.
Is LSD a thing again?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Propaganda, half truths, cover ups are peddled in the media every day without censure..

The Independent are allowed to do all these things as long as they stay within the confines of the law, the beauty of a free press is they can pick up on it and counter it.

But back to your bold claim that the Press Association dont deal with transgressions.
Are you one of these people that can list the transgressions not dealt with or just another lemming that repeats something they read and has no clue to the evidence?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Independent are allowed to do all these things as long as they stay within the confines of the law, the beauty of a free press is they can pick up on it and counter it.

But back to your bold claim that the Press Association dont deal with transgressions.
Are you one of these people that can list the transgressions not dealt with or just another lemming that repeats something they read and has no clue to the evidence?

The regulator is IPSO isn't it? Replaced the PCC post-Leveson.

I know Hacked Off aren't massively impressed, nor are Private Eye. It's hard to know where to find reliable reporting on the press regulator but the fact no one seems to know who they are doesn't fill me full of much hope! A number of papers also haven't signed up (Guardian, Independent, Evening Standard.)

I personally don't think they covered themselves in a great deal of glory here - http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/ipso-...causing-offence-is-not-a-breach-editors-code/

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
What even though you do seem to have a complete and utter obsession with The Mail, and in fact anything that is remotely ‘right of centre’ and doesn’t tie with your political views?? Sorry, I call absolute BS on that post.

More generally though, I really don’t understand this continued hounding of the papers. They are such an irrelevance in terms of news reporting now that it is simply a rag for reporting opinions, as opposed to news. I genuinely don’t believe that the papers have any kind of influence over people’s views on anything important such as foreign policy, NHS, immigration etc, that people will choose to either read it and agree with it, or not read it and choose to disagree. If you don’t like what they are saying, don’t f***ing read it.

Whenever I have had the displeasure of reading it, it is a sh1t paper - and it’s horribly written. But Stop Funding Hate? Do me a favour - that’s sensationalist crap from people who are trying to silence a section of society, which is way more dangerous than any of the nonsense the Mail comes out with.

The Holy Grail is a vile organ and my parents certainly take what they read in it as verbatim, in part because it masquerades as a serious newspaper. They are of the generation that hold very prejudiced, narrow minded views on all manner of topics and the Mail fans those flames. Papers like The Mail and The Express do have influence and are far from being an irrelevance from my personal experience.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The Holy Grail is a vile organ and my parents certainly take what they read in it as verbatim, in part because it masquerades as a serious newspaper. They are of the generation that hold very prejudiced, narrow minded views on all manner of topics and the Mail fans those flames. Papers like The Mail and The Express do have influence and are far from being an irrelevance from my personal experience.

You do know that as you get older you tend to find yourself saying/agreeing/behaving just as your parents did before you. Maybe there is a reason for this?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Dear Herr,

If you honestly believe the Guardian is a well balanced newspaper then with respect you are very easily conned. The Guardian mainly has writers that are very left wing, and have an agenda to push. Anti monarchy, anti American, anti Israeli etc. Balanced they are certainly not.

I’m not suggesting the Daily Mail is balanced either by the way. The only English Newspaper that is even close to being balanced is interesting The Times, given who it is owned by, however it regularly offers a wide range of views not the very narrow ones offered by the Mail and Guardian .

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
And went into a mega sulk when they did not win the lottery contract

His hurricane tweets went down really badly in other affected areas (including one of his airlines key destinations Miami) also.

Never got virgin. Just because they appear slightly less stuffy than more traditional businesses doesn't mean that Branson isn't a total bread head. Can't understand how people fall for his schtick.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

My mother in law reads the Telegraph, which before going seriously downhill in the last ten years used to be a serious newspaper that I would on occasion purchase pre-internet for an informed look at how the other half think. Her views are broadly in line with the newspaper (thinks Corbyn is a communist, hates muslims, loves Maggie, fiercely Brexit.) I always wonder which was the chicken and which was the egg.

At the last election we didn't talk politics at all before polling day, I suspect because there was an acknowledgement on both sides that it was basically pointless. We got into it the day after, discussing at length what we thought had happened the night before.

I asked her, given her recently deceased father had a long and heartbreaking battle with dementia, what she though about the Conservatives proposed changes to social care costs (or 'dementia tax.')

She was completely unaware of the policy which in the form it was in at the last election would have massively impacted her if she were to suffer from dementia in the future. It reinforced my belief that relying on one source for your news is very dangerous. I don't doubt that even in these days of information overload many people still do.

Last edited:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Post Brexit and introduction of steam trains for the UKIP mob will see The Daily Mail sales soar.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The regulator is IPSO isn't it? Replaced the PCC post-Leveson.

I know Hacked Off aren't massively impressed, nor are Private Eye. It's hard to know where to find reliable reporting on the press regulator but the fact no one seems to know who they are doesn't fill me full of much hope! A number of papers also haven't signed up (Guardian, Independent, Evening Standard.)

I personally don't think they covered themselves in a great deal of glory here - http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/ipso-...causing-offence-is-not-a-breach-editors-code/

Thank you for saving me the bother.

Back on topic, this is just 70 copies of one newspaper. It's hardly worth getting into a tizz about it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Back on topic, this is just 70 copies of one newspaper. It's hardly worth getting into a tizz about it.

I agree it really isnt worth the tizz, especially when you factor in the huge amounts Virgin spend on advertising space in the Mail anyway..
Its a bizarre victory that some are claiming.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

on the other hand, why did Virgin feel the need to announce the withdrawal and the language used, other than engage in virtue signalling. sad state of media these days that seems to be driven by opinions and the twitterati, rather than focus on reporting events.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
on the other hand, why did Virgin feel the need to announce the withdrawal and the language used, other than engage in virtue signalling. sad state of media these days that seems to be driven by opinions and the twitterati, rather than focus on reporting events.

That's why I called it a publicity stunt quite a few pages back.

Just checked #post 17

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here