Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by spring hall convert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The reason that it is an effective campaign is it goes to the heart of an obvious hypocrisy. Organisations that pay lip service to inclusion and diversity whilst diverting resources to propping up messages of intolerance are being called out on it. It's up to them to decide what to do.
    One of the organisations they are after is John Lewis. They hardly pay lip service to these things. I did some work with them a few years ago and they are without doubt the gold standard in how a company should operate. Amongst other things employees have Final Salary pensions, employee bonuses that are worth having, John Lewis hotels that only its members can use at a reduced rate and it certainly wasn't a white male demographic we dealt with. Just because John Lewis advertise bed linen on Page 21 of the mail to a target audience of pensioners with more money than sense seems no reason to boycott them to me. If the Mail overstep the mark, that's a job for the PCC, not sure jumped up, perma offended Twitterati and people who spend too much time on Facebook. That said, the companies annoy me just as much. They are just as likely to lose people who don't like their lack of backbone more so than a vocal minority on social media.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Spanish View Post
      Never got virgin. Just because they appear slightly less stuffy than more traditional businesses doesn't mean that Branson isn't a total bread head. Can't understand how people fall for his schtick.
      I donít think people necessarily fall for his schtick but his airline is quite nice. I like it anyway.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
      One of the organisations they are after is John Lewis. They hardly pay lip service to these things. I did some work with them a few years ago and they are without doubt the gold standard in how a company should operate. Amongst other things employees have Final Salary pensions, employee bonuses that are worth having, John Lewis hotels that only its members can use at a reduced rate and it certainly wasn't a white male demographic we dealt with. Just because John Lewis advertise bed linen on Page 21 of the mail to a target audience of pensioners with more money than sense seems no reason to boycott them to me. If the Mail overstep the mark, that's a job for the PCC, not sure jumped up, perma offended Twitterati and people who spend too much time on Facebook. That said, the companies annoy me just as much. They are just as likely to lose people who don't like their lack of backbone more so than a vocal minority on social media.
      Cool. So rather than cave into the twitterati why don't John Lewis use their considerable platform to educate the public on why it is a good thing for them to give money to newspapers who espouse messages completely contradictory to their own acknowledged excellent company ethos?

It's their call. All SFH have done is point out the contradiction.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by spring hall convert View Post
      Cool. So rather than cave into the twitterati why don't John Lewis use their considerable platform to educate the public on why it is a good thing for them to give money to newspapers who espouse messages completely contradictory to their own acknowledged excellent company ethos?

It's their call. All SFH have done is point out the contradiction.
      SFH are hardly politely pointing this stuff out. They create a social media shitstorm. As for JL they advertise in the mail as it clearly increases sales. Whilst it's not my cup of tea it's not the 3rd Reich press pamphlet either. Whilst they could be accused of having double standards they aren't alone and I'm prepared to cut them a break as they are the most ethical company I've ever dealt with. I've no idea why they choose to apologise instead of stating why they do these things. I presume its the easy option.

Personally, if people are that bothered about these things I'd rather they target charities who are funding terrorism or companies who give money to corrupt foreign governments (Without checking I think Waitrose has previously been accused of this but lets gloss over that otherwise it undermines my argument). The Mail is an easy target.

1 Not allowed!
      SFH are hardly politely pointing this stuff out. They create a social media shitstorm. As for JL they advertise in the mail as it clearly increases sales. Whilst it's not my cup of tea it's not the 3rd Reich press pamphlet either. Whilst they could be accused of having double standards they aren't alone and I'm prepared to cut them a break as they are the most ethical company I've ever dealt with. I've no idea why they choose to apologise instead of stating why they do these things. I presume its the easy option.

Personally, if people are that bothered about these things I'd rather they target charities who are funding terrorism or companies who give money to corrupt foreign governments (Without checking I think Waitrose has previously been accused of this but lets gloss over that otherwise it undermines my argument). The Mail is an easy target.
      They don't just target the Mail. The Express and even more so, the Sun. Even the Mirror has copped for criticism occasionally.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.

1 Not allowed!
      Whilst they could be accused of having double standards they aren't alone and I'm prepared to cut them a break as they are the most ethical company I've ever dealt with.
      I'd argue this is precisely why the question is asked of John Lewis. They are a company that trades on its ethics.
      Last edited by spring hall convert; 10-01-2018 at 14:36.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      Given that you obviously appear to assume you are part of the majority, it would be heartwarming if you put your dictum into practice, and extended to us noisy people the benfit of your silence.
      This is where you become confused, quite often there is no majority as such because there is more than a binary choice, this confuses the the people like you who have a binary view of the world.ads
      Hove is where the heart is, but Suffolk is where the home is!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
      Shows how toxic the Mail is if Virgin has BINNED it, wonder what Beach Hut will read in the FIRST class on the way to work now
      British Airways binned it too in December!
      Stand up, if you hate Palace.....

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      Thank you for saving me the bother.

Back on topic, this is just 70 copies of one newspaper. It's hardly worth getting into a tizz about it.
      Maybe you should aim that at the OP who thought it worthwhile starting the thread.
      Im The Scatman

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jonnyrovers View Post
      Popular misconception that Branson plays an active role in any of the businesses that carry the Virgin Branding. He doesn't. He just takes the cash. Virgin Trains, Virgin Media, Virgin Airlines etc are all 100% independent of each other and largely independent of him.

Assigning responsibility for this decision to Branson equates to blaming my 6 yr old daughter for the global financial crash.

I don't like him either btw...
      Whilst all true, this has come from him.

The Virgin Gatwick lounges stopped supplying the Mail a while ago, on his say so.