Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Virgin bin The Daily Mail

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
You are advocating and supporting censorship of the press because you don’t want yourself or others to be able to read opinions you disagree with.
You probably don’t even realise this is what you are doing.
I cant emphasize enough how mind numbingly ignorant you are.

Very true, and in some cases Machiavellian.
https://www.steelonsteel.com/saul-alinskys-12-rules-for-radicals/

At the very least, "Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.“

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Yes. But once again this and the sales figures for right wing tabloids 'shows' that it is the right wing nonsense that holds sway. Odd that you broflakes think that the small circulation 'left wing' newspapers influence the preumably gullable whereas the mass sale right wing tabloids presumably have no influence. Strange indeed.

Neither Influences, they pander to peoples instincts and creeds, left and right. A noisy minority and a silent majority.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You are advocating and supporting censorship of the press because you don’t want yourself or others to be able to read opinions you disagree with.
You probably don’t even realise this is what you are doing.
I cant emphasize enough how mind numbingly ignorant you are.

You think @jim in the west is ignorant? Ha ha. And you think that a pressure group to dissuade advertisers pouring mony into the coffers of certain newspapers is 'censorship'? Give your head a wobble and spend a bit of time here:

http://www.dictionary.com/

FFS. The amount of broflakery on this thread is almost enough to have me DEMANDING that SOMETHING be DONE.

:facepalm:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Many/ probably most of the Guardianista readership don't realise they are being manipulated/duped in exactly the same way as Mail readers .. bless em.

I wonder if it might be possible that people might be able to work out for themselves what is good and bad in their own chosen newspapers, whether it is the Mail or the Guardian?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Neither Influences, they pander to peoples instincts and creeds, left and right. A noisy minority and a silent majority.

Given that you obviously appear to assume you are part of the majority, it would be heartwarming if you put your dictum into practice, and extended to us noisy people the benfit of your silence.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Popular misconception that Branson plays an active role in any of the businesses that carry the Virgin Branding. He doesn't. He just takes the cash. Virgin Trains, Virgin Media, Virgin Airlines etc are all 100% independent of each other and largely independent of him.

Assigning responsibility for this decision to Branson equates to blaming my 6 yr old daughter for the global financial crash.

I don't like him either btw...

Not forgetting the ones he sold off but still carry the brand.

On the subject of "brands" like it or loath it the Daily Mail has particular brand that is obviously very successful.

I don't think this decision by Virgin is anything more than a purely "commercial" decision. Some blue sky thinkers blocked booked at large room at Virgin Trains HW with some large pieces of paper and "re-imagined" the brand.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You think @jim in the west is ignorant? Ha ha. And you think that a pressure group to dissuade advertisers pouring mony into the coffers of certain newspapers is 'censorship'? Give your head a wobble and spend a bit of time here:

http://www.dictionary.com/

FFS. The amount of broflakery on this thread is almost enough to have me DEMANDING that SOMETHING be DONE.

:facepalm:

He is more than ignorant, he is a fool as well.
Anyone who thinks they(stop fundinghate) dont want these publications damaged to such an extent by lack of advertising that they would cease to operate is a cretin
Anyone who thinks they are doing it to simply change the content of the publications would after all obviously be morons. And further more be morons advocating censorship.

Is broflakery a word you invented yourself?.Its not very catchy.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The Star makes no secret of being a comic, unlike The Mail. Being a journalist on the Mail is dirty, soul selling work akin to being a defence solicitor representing someone like Ian Huntley.

A friend of mine, who has profile in the music industry, has first hand experience of the methods of this filthy and vile rag. Pure evil.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He is more than ignorant, he is a fool as well.
Anyone who thinks they(stop fundinghate) dont want these publications damaged to such an extent by lack of advertising that they would cease to operate is a cretin
Anyone who thinks they are doing it to simply change the content of the publications would after all obviously be morons. And further more be morons advocating censorship.

Is broflakery a word you invented yourself?.Its not very catchy.

The chances of our ever meeting, let alone having an actual conversation, are mercifully miniscule.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The chances of our ever meeting, let alone having an actual conversation, are mercifully miniscule.

I agree, though i dont know why it even crossed your mind.
Mercifully the people i go to football with are nothing like you. Snowflakes are not really our cup of tea.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Stop Funding Hate is a great organisation. I contribute. If we didn't have so much bile (bordering on racism) in our gutter press the world would be a nicer place. Incidentally, I've spent quite a bit of time in hospital waiting rooms recently....it amazes me how many patients (or their carers) pick up the DM. I'm also amazed hospitals provide it, given the DM's stance on EU nurses/doctors, etc.

Nicely put, it would appear to me that the supporters of Stop Funding Hate, and the enthusiastic supporters Daily Mail are just 2 cheeks of the same arse.

Anyway, do carry on stop funding hate........

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Favourite tweet of all time:

Branson (along these lines): We must all work together to cut our carbon footprint and save the precious arctic ice caps.

Frankie Boyle: You own an airline you mad ****.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I always find it amusing when people start making judgements based on what newspaper a person reads. From my experience, most people don't choose their political allegiances based on what paper they take home from the newsagents. I quite often read the Guardian because I think it's quite well written and has some good articles. I'm certainly not left leaning in my political persuasion.

I don't read the Daily Mail because it's badly written and obsessed with sensationalist headlines. I'm just interested in knowing what is going on in the World.

Quite. The only reason I read The Guardian is for its well researched, balanced, well written, insightful, objective, informative and open minded journalism. To suggest anything else is insulting.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Quite. The only reason I read The Guardian is for its well researched, balanced, well written, insightful, objective, informative and open minded journalism. To suggest anything else is insulting.

Out of interest what happens when you have been insulted? Anything interesting? Do you come out in a rash?Do you become more German?Just asking as its never happened to me

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The guardian is read by all sorts of people. Some great, some wankers.
The Mail is read solely by wankers.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

What even though you do seem to have a complete and utter obsession with The Mail, and in fact anything that is remotely ‘right of centre’ and doesn’t tie with your political views?? Sorry, I call absolute BS on that post.

More generally though, I really don’t understand this continued hounding of the papers. They are such an irrelevance in terms of news reporting now that it is simply a rag for reporting opinions, as opposed to news. I genuinely don’t believe that the papers have any kind of influence over people’s views on anything important such as foreign policy, NHS, immigration etc, that people will choose to either read it and agree with it, or not read it and choose to disagree. If you don’t like what they are saying, don’t f***ing read it.

Whenever I have had the displeasure of reading it, it is a sh1t paper - and it’s horribly written. But Stop Funding Hate? Do me a favour - that’s sensationalist crap from people who are trying to silence a section of society, which is way more dangerous than any of the nonsense the Mail comes out with.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The guardian is read by all sorts of people. Some great, some wankers.
The Mail is read solely by wankers.

:ffsparr:

Jeremy Corbyn
Vince Cable
Nicola Sturgeon
Caroline Lucas

All read the Daily Mail.........what was that "solely by wankers"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of interest what happens when you have been insulted? Anything interesting? Do you come out in a rash?Do you become more German?Just asking as its never happened to me

Usually a wave of pity and disdain, but it’s over quite quickly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here