Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glad to win last night ...but.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd be tempted to put the same team out again for the Boro match, but with Baldock / new striker instead of Brown.

I think Hughton was spot on starting Stephens and Izquierdo, and I fancy Stephens might like another crack against Boro after what happened to him last time he played at The Riverside.

Indeed, a lot of our team might fancy a spot of revenge against Boro.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agreed about game time.

Not sure what me mean by reserves ? Are Kayal, Hemed, Scheletto, and Bong reserves ? They've all started Prem games in Dec/Jan ?
Hughton rotates the team a lot. Are March, Izquierdo, Bong, Hemed, Stephens reserves ?

Agree with this. it's not as if we are putting out the U23s. We currently have some very good players, who may well be required later on in the season, getting very little competitive football at the moment. The cup, and in particular a needle game like Palace, provide much needed match fitness and sharpness.

Baldock, Kayal, BFG and Conor all benefitted from last night's game which can only be a good thing. I really wanted to see these guys on the pitch and ironically the 'reserve team' aspect of the tie was one of its selling points.

Couldn't agree more. Another cup tie gives a set of players that we may need to call upon at any point match time keeping more players involved. If Ryan gets injured against Southampton for example, I'll be a darn sight happier Krul has just played 2 cup ties than not. Same with Hui, Goldson, Baldock, Hemed, March, Schelotto and others who are not playing as regularly as I'm sure they'd like.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I'm sure that all those fans moaning about the closed shop on away ticket allocation, will already be making their travel plans for this BIG Cup game, so that they acquire some more loyalty points and see the Albion away.

Or those with enough points in the first place buying some more points with no intention of going, i.e. Bournemouth mk 2?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not most. Uwe or Goldson definitely, Kayal has had limited time until recently because of injury. but Hemed, Scheletto, Bong, Izquierdo and March have had multiple starts this season. And Stephens has been an ever present. Hughton , especially in Dec, has started to rotate his squad frequently so that the preferred 11 has become difficult to discern.

Can see Schelotto essentially replacing Bruno as the season progresses, and Kayal getting quiet a bit of game time too, looked really good last night and certainly pushing for a place. Uwe will get games as D&D get rested/suspended (assuming CG goes out on loan as planned). Benefit of an almost full squad - one or two in to strengthen further would leave us in decent shape.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here