Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why the no shows v Pal-arse?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Me I'm 57, and twice is a repeat as far as my knowledge of the English language - if I had said repeatedly" then again your argument may have some credence.
I worked for nearly 10 years with a Spurs fan who couldn't say the word Arsenal, instead always calling them the scum.

Strangely, in the post that followed yours parlance I always considered him to be a bellend too!

57. You have a pop at me for using the term 'scum' then go on to use the word 'bellend.' :ffsparr:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It was good to see as well from Monday night that the rivalry is taken just as seriously as it has been for years and years from virtually everyone in the stadium.
You could see what it meant to everyone.
You get the odd charlatan of course who claims the rivalry against Palace isn’t really that serious at all, usual blokes that never go to football who are obviously very much out of touch and a bit odd and simply don’t get it at all.

Like me ( 19 out of 22 league games this season and living 160 mile round trip from the Amex )
Started supporting the club well before the ' rivalry ' started. Witnessed it all, in its ugly infancy, when Millwall fans were puzzled why their arch rivals suddenly decided to change direction and most adult Brighton fans, comfortable with their natural neutrality, were equally bemused. The obvious tension between Mullery and Venables was seized upon by a small hardcore who were desperate for a focus for their angst and aggression. It was just a few and thats all it took. It was not a natural rivalry. We are not geographically close. The mood of the time created the opportunity and those few who started it have passed it on through the generations. Many have grown up knowing nothing but this rivalry and have had bitterness rammed down their throats.
You are either fully committed to the ' Palace thing ' or you are not. It doesn't make you any less of a BHA fan. Personally, I don't leave games wondering how Palace have got on and revelling in their defeat, even though your own team may have just lost ( as if that somehow makes it better! ) I want to spend all my energy on my own team, 24/7 and that leaves no room for anything else.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That statement is definitely wrong and has never been the reply. Yes there were 8K at Withdean, and Withdean did sell out some seasons when we were winning Championships, but they weren't exactly the same 8K or 5K, before expansion, at every single match.
Have you forgotten we took 30K to the Millenium?

No it isn't wrong, I've seen posts in the past saying it. Probably not in those exact words, but the sentiment was there. And a large* number of Amex regulars never went to see us regularly until we moved there. (There's people in my street who never went t to see us at all until we moved there!) Like Amex themselves they weren't interested - unless there was a big day out of course like Cardiff. And, again, we're not unique. Whenever a club has something happen out of the ordinary people who weren't previously interested (or only had a passing interest) suddenly become fans. (I wonder how many Yeovil fans there are now?)

*(No I can't quantify it)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No it isn't wrong, I've seen posts in the past saying it. Probably not in those exact words, but the sentiment was there. And a large* number of Amex regulars never went to see us regularly until we moved there. (There's people in my street who never went t to see us at all until we moved there!) Like Amex themselves they weren't interested - unless there was a big day out of course like Cardiff. And, again, we're not unique. Whenever a club has something happen out of the ordinary people who weren't previously interested (or only had a passing interest) suddenly become fans. (I wonder how many Yeovil fans there are now?)

*(No I can't quantify it)

There are always fair weather fans, but you have to admit that we've been very consistent with crowd numbers for the six years we've been at the Amex. Season tickets have sold out each year (maybe not in the Hyypia season) so even those fairweather fans are becoming regulars.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
57. You have a pop at me for using the term 'scum' then go on to use the word 'bellend.' :ffsparr:

If you read my post correctly, someone of the same mindset as you called me a bellend for calling out your use of the word scum, it wasn't my choice of word - I just indicated that if bellend was an appropriate word then someone who couldn't say the word Arsenal, as in my example, was a bellend!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here