Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why the no shows v Pal-arse?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Talk sport on the 5pm show main topic was how poor the turnout was last night for allegedly such a fierce rivalry, and belittled us and in fairness so they should. Of course the first person to phone in was a Palace fan claiming that they should have been allocated 5 thousand and they would have filled it and to not blame Palace for an empty stadium, blame the fickle Brighton fans. Now I doubt they would have sold 5k to be fair, but it’s in the public mind set now, not the train strike or excuses about “trouble” which come on was nothing in all honesty.

I think the club themselves are as much to blame by picking Monday night, as the trains and the many fair weather fans who are making shitty excuses for not coming last night.

It was our big chance to show the rest of country our derby and apart from the result and hardy 12k fans that were there, there are a lot of fans who should hang their heads in shame, and not hide behind lame excuses.

Embarrassing

No one should hang their heads in shame. Everyone's entitled to pick and choose as they like.

However, I do think people may need to accept now that this is not a fierce rivalry. Obviously I can't tell people what to think but as far as I'm concerned, we can't really talk up this big rivalry we have with Palace when half our fans can't be bothered to turn up.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes I doubt it, that’s exactly what I said.

It’s a reality check, not just talkshite, they said on BT commentary during the analysis how empty the ground was for such a crunch match.

My main point is.....

while our club was dying and having home games at pissfield, I was wondering if we would survive.....

Last night was the dream....

A new stadium (so to speak)

A Premier League team

Playing our fierce rivals in the FA Cup at home

2-1 Murray win....

How is not reaching the holy grail....

Sorry it baffles me why only 12k thought the same as me and went last night.

I’m not claiming to be a better fan, I understand reasons why the crowd should have been lower.... but that many lower... Again I just don’t get it, I find it embarrassing.

They said on BT commentary...really...paid millions for the TV rights, move our game from a traditional Saturday 3pm to a Monday night, then have the audacity to claim its us!?

What utter BS. Talkshite, Sky, BT, they're killing the game, they're the ones who talk the PL up till your ears bleed, they're the ones pouring the billions in and treating the FA Cup like a piece of shite, and you use that as a stick to hit our fans with!?

I find it embarrassing you're not able to see the rank hypocrisy in the sources you're quoting.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
They said on BT commentary...really...paid millions for the TV rights, move our game from a traditional Saturday 3pm to a Monday night, then have the audacity to claim its us!?

What utter BS. Talkshite, Sky, BT, they're killing the game, they're the ones who talk the PL up till your ears bleed, they're the ones pouring the billions in and treating the FA Cup like a piece of shite, and you use that as a stick to hit our fans with!?

I find it embarrassing you're not able to see the rank hypocrisy in the sources you're quoting.

Oh I do, and I am also well aware it seems more than others that our new found support might actually not be as hardcore as some claim. We get all defensive on here when other fans come on and claim we’re fair weather fans like Reading and Palace when we’re no different, we’re nothing special.

I am more just disappointed than anything, I thought more would turn up than 12 thousand Albion fans.

I will leave it there, as people seem more concerned and defending people’s rights and reasons for not going or tv, than hang on that was a lame home turnout for such a big game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is this still dragging on? Those that were there saw and heard something special, those that weren’t enjoyed on tv and possibly wished they had been there or not. Some may have even been washing or shaving their hair in preference.

It’s over, I was there, not a chance that I’ll be going to Boro though, that really is for uberfans imo.

el punal

So disappointing a turn out that people are questioning if this a rivalry of note - very disappointing indeed.

What was your excuse?

Please sir, I didn't go because I did my back in which prevented me driving my car on a round trip of 130 miles to watch the game on a bitterly cold Monday night. I did, however, watch our glorious team play in three FA Cup games in 1976 against Palace. In addition I have watched our beloved team play in numerous league encounters against the said Palace since 1974.

I have also attended 17 matches this season to cheer on our magnificent boys as far a field as Swansea and Newcastle. I do hope you will forgive my absence from last night's spectacle and I pray that it does not dwell on your mind for too long.

Yours, incredibly sarcastically,

Snr. E. Punal

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
So disappointing a turn out that people are questioning if this a rivalry of note - very disappointing indeed.

What was your excuse?
Finished my shift 45 minutes after full time, I hope that's ok with you?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I'm embarrassed with you.

Unable to make up one's own mind, over ill informed bullshit from media bores.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh I do, and I am also well aware it seems more than others that our new found support might actually not be as hardcore as some claim. We get all defensive on here when other fans come on and claim we’re fair weather fans like Reading and Palace when we’re no different, we’re nothing special.

I am more just disappointed than anything, I thought more would turn up than 12 thousand Albion fans.

I will leave it there, as people seem more concerned and defending people’s rights and reasons for not going or tv, than hang on that was a lame home turnout for such a big game.

What you really need to ask yourself is whether you are correct it was a big game?

I thought it was a big game, BUT neither CH or RH thought it was a big game, I doubt TB or SP did either. The utter hypocrisy of the media is that they have made the PL the all consuming beast, they created the beast, they have fed it and they have left it untamed to trample on tradition, romance and everything else in the game. The sheer size of the revenue from the PL it is inconceivable a club battling for survival could even contemplate seriously treating the FA Cup as anything more than a welcome distraction from the task at hand, exactly as CH said in his programme notes. Then they start asking / criticising clubs for how they treat the cup - wake up you morons! (the media not you...)

I was disappointed with the turnout, but £25, come on, what a great opportunity to go £10 to £15 for a ticket, and attracting a load of people who wouldn't normally go. What about ST holder's mates for £10, they could have done a lot more in the promotion of this game, because anyone who thinks we have this wide reaching core support is a bit deluded. We have a great support but they are fickle and they will be selective. You don't go from 10k fans for most of your existence to 30k and expect them to suddenly be as devoted as everyone else.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

What a miserable post. Shirley you're still living on cloud 9 about the victory and on being an uber fan.

Rejoice and cheer up.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Without reading all the threads, what was this all this about ?

IMG_1865.PNG

What people in their right minds would do this on national TV ?
This begs some questions, were they two of the dirty dozen who were banned ? How did they get passed the face recognising cameras, or was it for charity ?
Looking forward to see them at Selhurst. :thumbsup:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
What you really need to ask yourself is whether you are correct it was a big game?

I thought it was a big game, BUT neither CH or RH thought it was a big game, I doubt TB or SP did either. The utter hypocrisy of the media is that they have made the PL the all consuming beast, they created the beast, they have fed it and they have left it untamed to trample on tradition, romance and everything else in the game. The sheer size of the revenue from the PL it is inconceivable a club battling for survival could even contemplate seriously treating the FA Cup as anything more than a welcome distraction from the task at hand, exactly as CH said in his programme notes. Then they start asking / criticising clubs for how they treat the cup - wake up you morons! (the media not you...)

I was disappointed with the turnout, but £25, come on, what a great opportunity to go £10 to £15 for a ticket, and attracting a load of people who wouldn't normally go. What about ST holder's mates for £10, they could have done a lot more in the promotion of this game, because anyone who thinks we have this wide reaching core support is a bit deluded. We have a great support but they are fickle and they will be selective. You don't go from 10k fans for most of your existence to 30k and expect them to suddenly be as devoted as everyone else.

This.

As reminder that nearly 90% of Albion fans think 3pts on Saturday is more important: http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ce-in-the-Cup-or-beat-West-Brom-in-the-league

Honestly, last night was probably the least important Palace match for 30 years. But I look forward to seeing the commemorative tattoos, the £1000 bids on Murray's shirt etc.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This.

As reminder that nearly 90% of Albion fans think 3pts on Saturday is more important: http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ce-in-the-Cup-or-beat-West-Brom-in-the-league

Honestly, last night was probably the least important Palace match for 30 years. But I look forward to seeing the commemorative tattoos, the £1000 bids on Murray's shirt etc.

Time will tell, lose at Boro and you’ll be proven right. Win and we could go on a cup run...then it won’t seem as unimportant as you suggest.

Either way, I loved being at the Amex last night.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Without reading all the threads, what was this all this about ?

View attachment 92710

What people in their right minds would do this on national TV ?
This begs some questions, were they two of the dirty dozen who were banned ? How did they get passed the face recognising cameras, or was it for charity ?
Looking forward to see them at Selhurst. :thumbsup:

They got past facial recognition by dressing up as Gully our mascot, they probably got in for free too without having to fly/jump over the turnstyles

And the chap on the right probably is exempt from facial recognition

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The analogy to Reading is a good one. Like us they went from being a shitty third-tier team playing in front of a few thousand fans in a crappy little ground to being a Premier League team in a shiny new stadium. And like us they picked up a lot of new fans on the way. No one who didn't go last night can EVER again accuse Reading of being a Noddy tinpot club with flakey plastic temporary fans. Well they can because it's true, butt they'll also have to admit that that's exactly what we are as well.

They look pretty permanent to me. They've had no fewer than an average attendance of 17K fans (and no higher than 23K - when briefly in the Prem) for nearly 15 years.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I was really disappointed when got to my seat 5 mins before kick off and saw how empty the ground was . It's a sad state of affairs when a championship game against say Birmingham attracts a bigger crowd than a cup game against your rivals .

I worried that the game would be flat and there be no atmosphere but the atmosphere was actually really good . In the North everyone sang together for once and the celebrations when we went 2-1 up were excellent . So glad I went and anyone who says this game didn't matter should have seen the fans at the end

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here