Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why the no shows v Pal-arse?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
My point was that all during the Amex era opposing fans have sneered at our high attendances and said in a large part they were down to bandwaggon jumping plastics who didn't give a shit about the Albion before. The reply has always been: no, these were all genuine Brighton fans who just hadn't actually attended games for the last thirty years. That statement has now, finally, been proved to be wrong.

No it hasn't. You have stated yourself in your opening paragraph that the assumption that the people who didn't go on Monday are not genuine Brighton fans, but 'bandwagon jumping plastics' is wrong. Despite the myth of undying loyalty in football, there is a price point for everything and at some point a price rise is going to force people to not purchase. In this case, my first reaction to the prices announced was that the club were trying to shaft us, that given the riches that had come their way through promotion, they are in a position to be more generous over this. I eventually decided to buy, but have no criticism of anyone who never got past that first reaction. A lot of them are far more committed fans than I and more deserving of generosity from the club that was not forthcoming (probably because of the actions of Palace's Pyjama Ninjas at the last game).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think "supporters" that are more concerned about other supporters motivations and comings and goings and who are more concerned with what Palace do are missing the point of supporting a club. However, if that's what they get out of it, all the best to them, horses for courses n all that!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No, definitely not. Like I said this is the modern era and people, some who are fans of many years standing who went to Withdean, Priestfield, Goldstone didn't go. All had good reasons and none of them have to explain or justify themselves. No one who didn't go on Monday is a 'bad fan' - simply a modern one*.

My point was that all during the Amex era opposing fans have sneered at our high attendances and said in a large part they were down to bandwaggon jumping plastics who didn't give a shit about the Albion before. The reply has always been: no, these were all genuine Brighton fans who just hadn't actually attended games for the last thirty years. That statement has now, finally, been proved to be wrong and there is no difference between the makeup of our fanbase and that of Reading's - so let's not sneer at them any more. People in glasshouses and all that. And there's nothing wrong with getting new fans who didn't give a shit about the Albion before. If we hadn't done that we'd have about 12,000 rattling around the Anex every game.

And the other good news is our true hardcore support has genuinely increased.

*EDIT: And probably doesn't give a shit about the FA Cup which of course is a modern view. In the old days a Cup game between two divisional rivals would have a much higher attendance that the corresponding League fixture. How times have changed.

By your definition I have always been a modern fan. I can live with that. Seems odd though that I am simultaneously a new Albion fan who doesn’t care about the FA Cup and also a season ticket holder since Goldstone days who has been following the club all over the country for 40 odd years. I think the owner of this website may be in the same boat.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I didn’t particularly want to go for all the reasons stated here but it was against Palace so I went, on my own because all my mates decided not to go, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
should have added
Obviously people that never go to football that are more concerned about other supporters motivations and comings and goings and who dont understand the Palace rivalry are missing the point of supporting the club.
Not surprised at who the people are that dont understand it.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
*EDIT: And probably doesn't give a shit about the FA Cup which of course is a modern view. In the old days a Cup game between two divisional rivals would have a much higher attendance that the corresponding League fixture. How times have changed.

If the match was on a weekend and not on TV, the attendance probably would have been 24,000+ - and we'd have none of this Reading nonsense.

In the match was on a weekend, not on TV and before the league match, it would have probably sold out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think I'm going to have to get myself one of these, so I can wear it down the pub to watch games I don't go to, and not attract stinging criticism.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 09.37.13.png

https://www.teegulls.co.uk/#modalproductlist_830031

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Monday at 8, two reserve teams, live in London, working Tuesday, train strike, no chance of getting home, forget it! Sky etc have killed football as we know ...
but still loved following it on 5Live & would love a cup run

No chance of getting home!?? Come on.

Transport was as good as I’ve ever seen it at the Amex.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If the match was on a weekend and not on TV, the attendance probably would have been 24,000+ - and we'd have none of this Reading nonsense.

In the match was on a weekend, not on TV and before the league match, it would have probably sold out.
Quite. The Reading stuff is nonsense and a ludicrous overreaction from a JCL snowflake teenager. Any real longterm supporter would know the truth about our relative fanbases and attendances in comparable circumstances since formation.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Apology accepted.

I used the term twice. I am 29 years old babe you?

Me I'm 57, and twice is a repeat as far as my knowledge of the English language - if I had said repeatedly" then again your argument may have some credence.
I worked for nearly 10 years with a Spurs fan who couldn't say the word Arsenal, instead always calling them the scum.

Strangely, in the post that followed yours parlance I always considered him to be a bellend too!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, definitely not. Like I said this is the modern era and people, some who are fans of many years standing who went to Withdean, Priestfield, Goldstone didn't go. All had good reasons and none of them have to explain or justify themselves. No one who didn't go on Monday is a 'bad fan' - simply a modern one*.

My point was that all during the Amex era opposing fans have sneered at our high attendances and said in a large part they were down to bandwaggon jumping plastics who didn't give a shit about the Albion before. The reply has always been: no, these were all genuine Brighton fans who just hadn't actually attended games for the last thirty years. That statement has now, finally, been proved to be wrong and there is no difference between the makeup of our fanbase and that of Reading's - so let's not sneer at them any more. People in glasshouses and all that. And there's nothing wrong with getting new fans who didn't give a shit about the Albion before. If we hadn't done that we'd have about 12,000 rattling around the Anex every game.

And the other good news is our true hardcore support has genuinely increased.

That statement is definitely wrong and has never been the reply. Yes there were 8K at Withdean, and Withdean did sell out some seasons when we were winning Championships, but they weren't exactly the same 8K or 5K, before expansion, at every single match.
Have you forgotten we took 30K to the Millenium?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
What I find strange is how a significant proportion of those who choose not to go on this and other threads seem to be so aggressive about it? I've been a fan for x number of years, Palace rivalry is all made up etc etc. Poxy ' uber' fans who went etc. Individually, I don't think anyone cares why you didn't bother, I care that so many didn't attend but not that much and not enough to judge individuals reasons for non attendance.

I hate Crystal Palace, have since I was little. Is it irrational? Yeah 100% so what? If you don't hate them fine, its not compulsory. What I do dislike is others telling me how I should support my club, what games I should attend and what my views on a subject involving the Albion should be. Didn't want to go? Fine, but refrain from looking down your noses at those who do. Went? Same thing applies. If someone choose not to go, so what?

Talking about a collective is fine, but individual abuse just makes you look a prick whichever side of this particular fence you are on. We all support the same team in our own way.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Reason 1 - the last match was rubbish

2. I don’t give a stuff about the Palace rivalry which seems wholly manufactured to me. They’re fifty miles away! I can understand Liverpool v Everton or Man U v Man City but Brighton v Palace....... no!

3. Outside chance of trouble with the Palace “hard” boys.

4. Mrs. B. promised to try on her new Brighton FC kit for my entertainment.

Case closed......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. No

Nov 28, 2016
2. I don’t give a stuff about the Palace rivalry which seems wholly manufactured to me. They’re fifty miles away! I can understand Liverpool v Everton or Man U v Man City but Brighton v Palace....... no!

No.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One thing I find refreshing on here lately is that a lot of our supporters don't really take the "rivalry" that seriously. A good excuse for a bit of ribbing, sure but the numpties that take it seriously are as bad as the small contingent of Palace fans who willy wave at matches. These are the people that don't have a huge amount going on in their lives.
Anyway, now that Cup game is out of the way for now I'm looking forward to getting back to the Amex and getting on with our season and for a bit of friendly banter with our opposition. Weeeeyo.

:thumbsup:

I was brought up in the 70's and 80's in an era of football hatred and violence. I wished CP ill and would still love their relegation.

But it is refreshing that many supporters these days have toned down the hate part.

Let the wound up, snarling haters from each club continue to hate. To make it personal. It's the same control freaks who get angry about opposing players having a chat and smile with each other after full time, getting on as human beings or getting the autograph of Mo Salah. Laughable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What I find strange is how a significant proportion of those who choose not to go on this and other threads seem to be so aggressive about it? I've been a fan for x number of years, Palace rivalry is all made up etc etc. Poxy ' uber' fans who went etc. Individually, I don't think anyone cares why you didn't bother, I care that so many didn't attend but not that much and not enough to judge individuals reasons for non attendance.

I hate Crystal Palace, have since I was little. Is it irrational? Yeah 100% so what? If you don't hate them fine, its not compulsory. What I do dislike is others telling me how I should support my club, what games I should attend and what my views on a subject involving the Albion should be. Didn't want to go? Fine, but refrain from looking down your noses at those who do. Went? Same thing applies. If someone choose not to go, so what?

Talking about a collective is fine, but individual abuse just makes you look a prick whichever side of this particular fence you are on. We all support the same team in our own way.

The aggression, abuse, irrationality and control freakery is coming from a few empty vessels that went to the game and want on inquest on the 15,000 no shows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here