Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why the no shows v Pal-arse?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I don't buy the whole rivalry thing either. And the clue is in your question - what you're doing going to football in the first place? I went to watch the football, the fringe but still very capable players in MY team. It was good to see Kayal as deserved man of the match, Sam Baldock getting a decent run out, even though it was unfortunately due to an injury for Izzy Brown, it was good to see our back-up centre-backs acquitting themselves well.

The rivalry did contribute to the atmosphere, and it was interesting to see the large police presence, even the horses! But I didn't go because I hate Palace, because I don't hate Palace particularly.

If your main concern is the rivalry, I question why you're going to football in the first place.

it isnt the main concern , but you may as well watch the game in complete silence if what youre saying is true

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Couldn't agree more

The fact that the FA is devalued is because those in the champions league don't value it above the league and the European Cup. I cannot fathom the fact that this seems to have filtered down to other clubs also. The only competition that we and most of the Premier League have a chance at doing well in is the cup. Surely having a good cup run makes a big difference to confidence and morale and is useful in a relegation fight. Bit of light relief if you like.

IMHO the cup competition was devalued by the big clubs not taking it seriously, and their reasons were understandable. To me though this means that the rest of the clubs in the Premier League should be busting a gut to win it against teams that are not taking it seriously. Sadly the media has chipped away at its remaining relevance with their constantly asking the question "Has the FA cup lost its importance" etc etc until they got the answer they were after. Self fulfilling indeed. The question is why do we allow ourselves to be dictated to by the big six and the media?

I would honestly rather have a proper crack at the FA cup and go down rather than play it safe and stay up. We have come from a division where we played 46 games to one where we play 38, I think we can manage a potential 6 extra games I like watching Brighton play football and I want to do it as much as possible.

Rant over!

spot on (did i really say that) :lolol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Because we all know that had this game been against Man Utd or Liverpool, suddenly the fact that it was on a Monday night and in the FA Cup wouldn’t have been an issue. It would have been packed to the rafters full of ‘loyal’ Albion fans, excited about seeing their teams. That’s the reality of our support, I don’t see how anyone can deny that.

You're just making negative assumptions again.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It is possible for teams outside the Top 6 to do well in the FA Cup and not get relegated from the Premier League.

Palace did this a couple of years back and made it all the way to the Final.

Of course, there won't be a repeat of that for them this season...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is possible for teams outside the Top 6 to do well in the FA Cup and not get relegated from the Premier League.

I was trying to find a bit of research on this and apparently, in general an FA cup run does have an adverse effect on league form.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...the-fa-cup-affect-a-clubs-premier-league-form

I still think we should value it though, increased confidence and momentum are not so easily quantified.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You're just making negative assumptions again.

Perhaps. Pretty sure it’s true though. I can’t imagine anyone really thinks that we wouldn’t have got a much bigger crowd against Man Utd last night, do they? And if that’s true, then all the ‘it’s Monday night, it’s just after Christmas, it’s the FA Cup’ etc. nonsense goes out the window.

Anyway, I’ve said my piece, and I’m bored with talking about it now. We beat Palace and it was a great night, just a shame it was in a half-full stadium and so many people missed it. Onwards and upwards.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The FA cup is devalued (partially) because its talked down by sh*t like this, its self fulfilling

Listen I don't want it to be true. But it is. I want a packed Amex full of 30k die hards against Palace in the FA Cup. I want everyone to feel like I do about the Albion. But they don't.

TypicalPalace

May 5, 2013
Think it just shows the sign of the times. The Premier League is the be all and end all. There was in the main a huge amount of apathy before the game and a woeful 14,000 just reinforces this. Rightly or wrongly a lot of Palace fans are pretty cheesed off with the whole last game thing and the organisation for this game. Roy had also already said that we would not be playing a full strength side all of which are contributing factors. I think we will all see a different derby day at Selhurst.

From our point of view would we have preferred not to have lost to you lotcertainly, but the silver lining is the old cliche that we now can concentrate on the league. You lot were worthy winners we did not turn up and only reinforced many a Palace view that outside our first choice 11-13 we are very short on quality. Another two first teamers lost to injury. That is the real cost of this game.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
FA Cup. The rivalry doesn't really interest me other than in a friendly/banter way and I have no interest in being involved in scenes like last time we played them at home. Nothing game.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Nobody was surprised when we named a side with one regular (Stephens) three who had played half the games (Bong, March and Izquierdo) and one who has played a bit over the busy Xmas period (Schelotto). The rest have hardly played a couple of hour's first team football between them this season.

As it was, it was highly entertaining and we beat Palace.

But look what's happened everytime we made a similar number of changes over the last 3 seasons. I believe that if the management had decided to put out a full strength side there would have been a lot more there. I think this has a much bigger effect than Monday Night, Post Xmas, FA cup etc etc

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
And if that’s true, then all the ‘it’s Monday night, it’s just after Christmas, it’s the FA Cup’ etc. nonsense goes out the window.

"Nonsense". Dear oh dear.

See you at West Brom on Saturday, yeah?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
The thing it is easier to overlook is that there were not 29k fans at the league game. This board has been full of debate about actual attendances and we all know that midweek games are awkward for a number of reasons (school, work and especially travel). Overlay that with Chris's well known attitude to cup games, exemplified by his team selection, and it is no wonder the enthusiasm was low. Then there was the timing with ticket sales accompanied by the obvious inability of massed police and stewards to control a few rowdy teenagers and a rail strike.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs

Palace did make it to the final. In their next home FA Cup tie against Man City the crowd was 13000 so the magic wore off pretty quickly.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Perhaps. Pretty sure it’s true though. I can’t imagine anyone really thinks that we wouldn’t have got a much bigger crowd against Man Utd last night, do they? And if that’s true, then all the ‘it’s Monday night, it’s just after Christmas, it’s the FA Cup’ etc. nonsense goes out the window.

Anyway, I’ve said my piece, and I’m bored with talking about it now. We beat Palace and it was a great night, just a shame it was in a half-full stadium and so many people missed it. Onwards and upwards.

If we had filled the stadium because in was Man United instead of Palace, then it would not have been the usual fans that turn up week in week out for the last few seasons, who had genuine reasons for not going last night. Becuase if it had been feasable for me to go last night, i would have prefered to watch us against Palace then Manchester United. The people that went last were genuine Brighton fans with an ability to attend. We would have same people as last night plus a few thousand tourists if we played Manchester United.

I wish I could have been there but glad everyone who did saw the good guys win.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
nothing fan.

Newbie , not in your blood

Well, Newbie is comparative. I started folllwing Albion and going to matches during the Withdean years. No, I'm not a lifelong supporter but I don't feel I have to justify that.

As for the rivalry, I have some good friends who are Palace and we have only ever treated it as an excuse for some mild ribbing and a bit of a laugh. I don't feel I have to foam at the mouth over Palace to be a good supporter.

I suppose everyone is different.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well, Newbie is comparative. I started folllwing Albion and going to matches during the Withdean years. No, I'm not a lifelong supporter but I don't feel I have to justify that.

As for the rivalry, I have some good friends who are Palace and we have only ever treated it as an excuse for some mild ribbing and a bit of a laugh. I don't feel I have to foam at the mouth over Palace to be a good supporter.

I suppose everyone is different.

I'm so with you on this one. I worked at South Norwood police station a literal stones throw from Selhurst Park. I had some very friendly banter with many of the officers who worked there, although to be fair at the time we were in separate leagues.
The Borough Commander had particular interest in the rivalry as he was seriously injured at one of the rivalry spats - but I could always hold a decent conversation with him as he didn't see all Brighton fans so as scum like many on here appear to view Palace fans...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here