Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why the no shows v Pal-arse?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=170346

Can you imagine Brighton turning up at Shithurst and the Park being half empty.
Pathetic fans Brighton.
If you had let us we would have filled the stadium. :lol:
Mind you, to be fair your singing was ok.
The powers that be need to loosen up and let us in, they are killing the atmosphere.
Something was weird with this game. It was killed before the start.
The result was irrelevant.
This game was ruled by pc fools.
Let them get a grip and football is dead.

Ha. Just like they did in the championship twice? They managed a couple of thousand more home fans for a league game v us not so long ago.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
We were 10th in our first season of the Champ but couldn't meet demand.
We were 20th in our fourth season in the Champ but still attendances / ST holders held up.
We now have a long waiting list for STickets and all our home games sell out.
This might happen and clearly 30K crowds for a struggling Champ team or L1 is unlikely but nosedive to 10-15K. ? Really ?
Currently 18 out of the 24 Champ teams have average crowds higher than last nights Cup game. 2 L1 teams do.

First season was a new stadium and everyone wanted to be there. We have a long waiting list and yet it isn't hard to get a home ticket match by match. My main point, possibly being a bit of a dick, was that our attendance only held up when we came 20th because of the number of STH we'd retained from being in the play-offs the previous two seasons. The drop the following season just goes to show that if we'd had two seasons finishing 20th the average would probably have dropped again, something like 23k perhaps. There's a feel good factor for the past 7 years. I hope it never happens, but give it a few consecutive seasons of turgid football and I wouldn't rule 15k out. Hopefully we can stay up/or successful in the Champ for another 10/20 years to really build up our core support and never have to find out.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
...and at Huddersfield and Swansea and Newcastle.......wonder how many of those pouring scorn on non attendees ' bothered ' to attend those games or did something prevent them going? Guess they won't make Stoke or Everton either....funny that.

I wish we could move away from good fan, bad fan bollocks. It's nothing to do with individual people. No one has to go to any game. It's just disappointing that so few wanted to go, as a collective, it doesn't make our rivarly with Palace look very fierce. So perhaps we should stop pretending that it is fierce, as others have acknowledged in this thread, some people don't care about Palace.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Breaks my heart to agree but this 100%. The club have got what they appear to want. Middle class 'footie' fans who pick and choose their games like attending the theatre. There are people with genuine reasons for not going I get that. But when your sitting in a half empty stadium being mugged off by Palace for the attendance its hard to feel any empathy for those who couldn't be arsed because they were scared of a couple of bangers and some spotty youths in hoodies.

As a collective we could not have looked any worse. First thing my Wolves supporting boss said this morning was I thought they were your rivals? Where was everyone?

If that had been say Reading people would be laughing their heads off and throwing the old 'tin pot' jibe out left right and centre.

I haven't really joined in this debate (on all the myriad threads) but this post does sum it up. Sadly I completely understand why people didn't want to go. It's not the 1970s any more. Football is pricey, the demographic has changed, there are other things to do with your time and money and it was on telly. There is a hardcore who will go to anything, a few others went because it's Palace, but for a large proportion of our support the reasons for not wanting to go outweighed the desire to attend. Even 'old school' fans gave it a swerve as, (and some won't admit it) they've picked up modern habits.

The analogy to Reading is a good one. Like us they went from being a shitty third-tier team playing in front of a few thousand fans in a crappy little ground to being a Premier League team in a shiny new stadium. And like us they picked up a lot of new fans on the way. No one who didn't go last night can EVER again accuse Reading of being a Noddy tinpot club with flakey plastic temporary fans. Well they can because it's true, butt they'll also have to admit that that's exactly what we are as well.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I made it OK from Shoreham, (Southwick would have been more difficult to get back) but there will be the ever increasing no shows for evening matches because of the non-running trains. This is quite quickly cumulative.

This is not just for football though as the trains do not run properly on normal days. Missed connections typically change a tolerable one hour journey into an off-putting uncertain two hour waiting around.

Trains are still the best way if running, beating buses that don't stop or don't turn up as planned, beating last minute queuing for taxis, and just edging out cycling cause it is such a rotten cycling route. Not tried park 'n ride yet. Neighbours back by car after the trains when the trains run.

I don't know what to do about the trains, but it is a major problem, or will increasingly be so. It will be the last straw for some. It is already.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=170346

Can you imagine Brighton turning up at Shithurst and the Park being half empty.
Pathetic fans Brighton.
If you had let us we would have filled the stadium. :lol:
Mind you, to be fair your singing was ok.
The powers that be need to loosen up and let us in, they are killing the atmosphere.
Something was weird with this game. It was killed before the start.
The result was irrelevant.
This game was ruled by pc fools.
Let them get a grip and football is dead.

The bit you bolded is funny because it is indeed complete bollox.

The bit about the game being killed before the start is correct though I believe.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I haven't really joined in this debate (on all the myriad threads) but this post does sum it up. Sadly I completely understand why people didn't want to go. It's not the 1970s any more. Football is pricey, the demographic has changed, there are other things to do with your time and money and it was on telly. There is a hardcore who will go to anything, a few others went because it's Palace, but for a large proportion of our support the reasons for not wanting to go outweighed the desire to attend. Even 'old school' fans gave it a swerve as, (and some won't admit it) they've picked up modern habits.

The analogy to Reading is a good one. Like us they went from being a shitty third-tier team playing in front of a few thousand fans in a crappy little ground to being a Premier League team in a shiny new stadium. And like us they picked up a lot of new fans on the way. No one who didn't go last night can EVER again accuse Reading of being a Noddy tinpot club with flakey plastic temporary fans. Well they can because it's true, butt they'll also have to admit that that's exactly what we are as well.

Hang on.

So you are saying that anyone who didn't go is a flakey plastic temporary fan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Talk sport on the 5pm show main topic was how poor the turnout was last night for allegedly such a fierce rivalry, and belittled us and in fairness so they should. Of course the first person to phone in was a Palace fan claiming that they should have been allocated 5 thousand and they would have filled it and to not blame Palace for an empty stadium, blame the fickle Brighton fans. Now I doubt they would have sold 5k to be fair, but it’s in the public mind set now, not the train strike or excuses about “trouble” which come on was nothing in all honesty.

I think the club themselves are as much to blame by picking Monday night, as the trains and the many fair weather fans who are making shitty excuses for not coming last night.

It was our big chance to show the rest of country our derby and apart from the result and hardy 12k fans that were there, there are a lot of fans who should hang their heads in shame, and not hide behind lame excuses.

Embarrassing

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
Blimey, just over 14000 for a third round fa cup tie against your biggest rivals.I remember when you got over 18000 for a third round fa cup tie against Crawley Town back in the early 90s.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, just over 14000 for a third round fa cup tie against your biggest rivals.I remember when you got over 18000 for a third round fa cup tie against Crawley Town back in the early 90s.

Yeah, including half of Crawley for the biggest game of your lives. 5-0, iirc.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
You doubt it? They only sold their 2k allocation this weekend.

Ah yes, TalkSport and its millions of listeners...

Honestly, get a grip!

Yes I doubt it, that’s exactly what I said.

It’s a reality check, not just talkshite, they said on BT commentary during the analysis how empty the ground was for such a crunch match.

My main point is.....

while our club was dying and having home games at pissfield, I was wondering if we would survive.....

Last night was the dream....

A new stadium (so to speak)

A Premier League team

Playing our fierce rivals in the FA Cup at home

2-1 Murray win....

How is not reaching the holy grail....

Sorry it baffles me why only 12k thought the same as me and went last night.

I’m not claiming to be a better fan, I understand reasons why the crowd should have been lower.... but that many lower... Again I just don’t get it, I find it embarrassing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here