Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why the no shows v Pal-arse?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Because we all know that had this game been against Man Utd or Liverpool, suddenly the fact that it was on a Monday night and in the FA Cup wouldn’t have been an issue. It would have been packed to the rafters full of ‘loyal’ Albion fans, excited about seeing their teams. That’s the reality of our support, I don’t see how anyone can deny that.

I’m definitely not a superfan, I’ve been to about three away games in four years. I can’t really be arsed with he hassle of it all anymore. But we drew Palace in the cup, and I’m a Brighton fan, so no way was I going to miss it. Even though it was a Monday night (because Monday is just so different to Tuesday) and there might have been some bangers let off.

But that's not the reality of our support, is it. We averaged about 26k in 14/15 we finished just above the relagation zone in the championship. Still up there with one of the highest averages in the championship. Yes actual attendences were often a few thousand lower, but anything over 20k at the bottom end of the second tier is bloody decent

The reality is that it simply wasn't an attractive fixture for a lot of people to spend 25 quid on after having just played them when the draw was made, the damp squib that game turned out to be, and the fact that club and police (and trains!) made the whole thing a massive unnercessary circus from the day the fixture was announced.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
1) Would have cost me £55 I don't have just for the tickets for me and my two boys
2) Don't finish work until 6:30pm
3) Have to do the Dad taxi thing to take my eldest to his trampoline club

So instead I

1) watched the first 30 minutes on my mobile whilst sat in the car park of the trampoline club supping on a large Costa coffee
2) listened to Warren and JC for the last 15 minutes of the first half driving back from said trampoline club
3) cracked open a bottle of red, settled into my chair and enjoyed the second half on the "big" screen in my lounge

Very pleasant it was too.

basically a.post full of wafer.thin excuses , the upshot is , if.you'd really wanted.to go , you could have done , this applies to most of the excuses being posted.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
It really isn't that - people have a life hey. Wont be the same at Smellhurst, anyway, done with these stoopid threads, cheerio and big up to our hardcore that earned their stripes tonight, in 20 years you can say "I was there" to your children and grandchildren and the story will get passed down for generations to come about how you were Brightons loyalist fan ever and you were there

maffew mate , youve posted that people have a life , smellhurst ? at your age ? a life ? get one!!:lolol:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Because we all know that had this game been against Man Utd or Liverpool, suddenly the fact that it was on a Monday night and in the FA Cup wouldn’t have been an issue. It would have been packed to the rafters full of ‘loyal’ Albion fans, excited about seeing their teams. That’s the reality of our support, I don’t see how anyone can deny that.

I’m definitely not a superfan, I’ve been to about three away games in four years. I can’t really be arsed with he hassle of it all anymore. But we drew Palace in the cup, and I’m a Brighton fan, so no way was I going to miss it. Even though it was a Monday night (because Monday is just so different to Tuesday) and there might have been some bangers let off.

:lolol:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
But that's not the reality of our support, is it. We averaged about 26k in 14/15 we finished just above the relagation zone in the championship. Still up there with one of the highest averages in the championship. Yes actual attendences were often a few thousand lower, but anything over 20k at the bottom end of the second tier is bloody decent

The reality is that it simply wasn't an attractive fixture for a lot of people to spend 25 quid on after having just played them when the draw was made, the damp squib that game turned out to be, and the fact that club and police (and trains!) made the whole thing a massive unnercessary circus from the day the fixture was announced.

It is. We clearly have big numbers of people who like to watch us, but our support is very ‘modern-football’ i.e. would rather watch us play against a big club in a corporate, sterile affair than against our rivals in the cup. Although when the club ban people for gesticulating at the away end, it’s hardly surprising.

It is no coincidence that last night was one of the best atmospheres of the season in the North, despite the ground being half-empty.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It is. We clearly have big numbers of people who like to watch us, but our support is very ‘modern-football’ i.e. would rather watch us play against a big club in a corporate, sterile affair than against our rivals in the cup. Although when the club ban people for gesticulating at the away end, it’s hardly surprising.

It is no coincidence that last night was one of the best atmospheres of the season in the North, despite the ground being half-empty.

But could you not say the same about pretty much every club outside the big ones nowadays then? Look at other club's attendances and how they fluctuate between pretty bang average to near sell outs when in the prem/play big teams in the cup. Its not just us. In fact I'd say we're better than the average in that respect. And if i remember rightly, its happened for a damn sight longer than 'modern' times

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The reasons are very simple.

- £25 just after Christmas
- Monday night
- On TV
- The Ultras actually succeeded in scaring parents into not bringing their kids
- FA Cup
- Train strikes
- Many of our new fans don't care about the rivalry

We did not want this to be a full house (hence the price) and dare I say that neither club really wanted to progress to the next round. It was all a bit of a vanilla affair wasn't it?

Which is a shame. I agree with the sentiments of many who are disappointed with our fans. I was too. But the reality is that the rivalry we have is no longer a big enough factor for people.

Similarly to the early-leavers. We aren't a club supported solely by working-class men with nothing in their lives except the football club. We've got more casual (but still loyal) fans. This match gave those people enough reasons to give it a swerve. And I don't really blame them if I'm being honest.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Much preferred to go to WBA on Saturday for a game that meant something! Watched the two reserve side on tv and was glad I didn’t make the 170 mile round trip to watch that non event!

Not having a go at anyone who didn’t attend, everyone has different circumstances and it is about choice.

But, non-event? I really enjoyed it, we played quite well, we had a forward line that actually moved at pace and offered options.

The moronic element of Palace actually behaved themselves, they even sang 2 or 3 times.

Each to their own....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

- Monday night
- On TV
- FA Cup
- Train strikes

We did not want this to be a full house (hence the price) and dare I say that neither club really wanted to progress to the next round. It was all a bit of a vanilla affair wasn't it?

Which is a shame. I agree with the sentiments of many who are disappointed with our fans. I was too. But the reality is that the rivalry we have is no longer a big enough factor for people.

Similarly to the early-leavers. We aren't a club supported solely by working-class men with nothing in their lives except the football club. We've got more casual (but still loyal) fans. This match gave those people enough reasons to give it a swerve. And I don't really blame them if I'm being honest.

The FA cup is devalued (partially) because its talked down by sh*t like this, its self fulfilling

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Meeting at work in London would have made it very tight for time. Either a late train back with a risk of missing connections in London or a pricey rush hour train up this morning. Alternative was a guaranteed viewing of the game with a beer in hand at home warming my arthritic and ageing joints and giving them an early night. If I had lived and worked in Sussex I would definitely have been there but with the added travelling I focus on trying to get to games covered by my S/T. Plastic fan I guess.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
But could you not say the same about pretty much every club outside the big ones nowadays then? Look at other club's attendances and how they fluctuate between pretty bang average to near sell outs when in the prem/play big teams in the cup. Its not just us. And if i remember rightly, its happened for a damn sight longer than 'modern' times

I don’t know really. Maybe. But then could you see Sheff Weds, for example, having a half-empty stadium against Sheff Utd at home in the cup? Or Newcastle against Sunderland? Or even the Bristol clubs? I can’t see it.

It’s the same reason that means the Amex fans need the players to lift them, rather than the other way around, like at clubs who create a really good atmosphere. Demographics of Sussex rather than some gritty Northern hell-hole. I’d much rather this and live where I live though.

Am I the only person who would bite your hand off to win the FA Cup even if it meant getting relegated?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

youre wasting your time trying to.explain to some people mate.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

- Monday night
- On TV
- FA Cup
- Train strikes

Bollocks

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
Made the trip from Copenhagen for this one and was disappointed a few more didn't put far less effort into attending.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game though and definitely worth the trip.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I was confused by their attendance too. I thought they were meant to have 2,000 tickets. Didn’t look like 2,000 there to me

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Are we still banging on about this?
So people have other priorities that happen to come before football, the shock of it!
Get over it FFS.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Platics, love it - I make a decision based as I see it not to attend and that makes me a plastic. Probably similar to the plastic seats I had to sit on at Priestfield and Withdean and The Goldstone.

Plastic seats ? You had it lucky

... What bit was bollocks exactly? Have you got a better explanation for the 15k empty seats?

I think you missed the 8 changes to the starting 11 :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here