Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why the no shows v Pal-arse?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I'm sure it's been highlighted but charging 25 quid was just plain ****ing greed. And yes I was there.

12 - 15 quid and there would have been a few more thousand there, all buying food and drink. It's not rocket science but it seems it is to certain stupid people within the club.

Don't we shell out enough supporting the team?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm so with you on this one. I worked at South Norwood police station a literal stones throw from Selhurst Park. I had some very friendly banter with many of the officers who worked there, although to be fair at the time we were in separate leagues.
The Borough Commander had particular interest in the rivalry as he was seriously injured at one of the rivalry spats - but I could always hold a decent conversation with him as he didn't see all Brighton fans so as scum like many on here appear to view Palace fans...
Exactly. As far as the rivalry? I enjoy it when we are in the same league as Palace but then I have a mate who supports Norwich and I like it when we play in the same league. It makes for a good afternoon when we play each other and if we are not at the match one of my favourite things is to meet at the pub and cheer on our respective teams with accompanying piss taking.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
My reasons : £25 in January just after Christmas, normally play a lot of kids and reserves, Monday night and live on tv.
If it had been a daytime fixture at the weekend and not on tv I might have made the effort.

If that makes me a bad fan then so be it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I was at a birthing class with Mrs DFP, if that makes me a bad fan then so be it. I’ll be sure to let it get the better of me on Saturday at The Hawthorns.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Quote Originally Posted by chunky44 View Post
So disappointing a turn out that people are questioning if this a rivalry of note - very disappointing indeed.

What was your excuse?

Couldn't be arsed....

I went and enjoyed it but I'm sure the club are breathing a sigh of relief that only 14k came. They wanted this game like a hole in the head and it showed

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Perhaps. Pretty sure it’s true though. I can’t imagine anyone really thinks that we wouldn’t have got a much bigger crowd against Man Utd last night, do they? And if that’s true, then all the ‘it’s Monday night, it’s just after Christmas, it’s the FA Cup’ etc. nonsense goes out the window.

Anyway, I’ve said my piece, and I’m bored with talking about it now. We beat Palace and it was a great night, just a shame it was in a half-full stadium and so many people missed it. Onwards and upwards.

I don't think so many people missed it. Those who were broke after Christmas could go to the pub, or watch it at home on tv.
Those who find travel midweek could watch on tv.
Those who were working could watch on their mobiles via tv.
Those who were ill could watch it on tv.

There's your nonsense.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
What a brilliant night.

I relocated from my usual spot in the WSU to in front of the big screen in the North and was so glad I did. The atmosphere was rocking from the start. Some of the insults dished out to the scum fans and players was genius in it's simplicity. 'Kick it then you daft c*nt' to Hennessy as he was about to boot it properly tickled me. Celebrations at the final whistle were sublime. You could see on the faces of everyone there how much it meant, regardless of the pitiful attendance. Best game of the season for me thus far hands down.

To those who didn't go - you missed out, simple as that. I'm not going to have a pop at those with reasons not to go whatever they may be, money, kids, work etc. But those who have said 'meh I couldn't be arsed' and especially those who have claimed it was a non-event - I honestly cannot get my head around that... Why do you even bother with football? I have been itching for an FA Cup fixture with the scum all my life and I am nearly 30. There's no one-upmanship here from me, each to their own and all that. I was raised to love the FA Cup and to hate Crystal Palace. One of the things my late old man drilled in to me that I am truly thankful for. My son will be raised the same way.

If we go on to have a proper cup run (which we probably won't), I wonder how many in future years will claim to have been there for the famous victory against our enemy on the 8th of Jan to start our journey to Wembley? Probably just as many who will wish that they had.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I went and enjoyed it but I'm sure the club are breathing a sigh of relief that only 14k came. They wanted this game like a hole in the head and it showed

Exactly this ^

The pricing was just the biggest weapon they had to make the game as unattractive to fans as possible, and they used it to full effect. It's why I fully understand why so many people didn't go.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What a brilliant night.

I relocated from my usual spot in the WSU to in front of the big screen in the North and was so glad I did. The atmosphere was rocking from the start. Some of the insults dished out to the scum fans and players was genius in it's simplicity. 'Kick it then you daft c*nt' to Hennessy as he was about to boot it properly tickled me. Celebrations at the final whistle were sublime. You could see on the faces of everyone there how much it meant, regardless of the pitiful attendance. Best game of the season for me thus far hands down.

To those who didn't go - you missed out, simple as that. I'm not going to have a pop at those with reasons not to go whatever they may be, money, kids, work etc. But those who have said 'meh I couldn't be arsed' and especially those who have claimed it was a non-event - I honestly cannot get my head around that... Why do you even bother with football? I have been itching for an FA Cup fixture with the scum all my life and I am nearly 30. There's no one-upmanship here from me, each to their own and all that. I was raised to love the FA Cup and to hate Crystal Palace. One of the things my late old man drilled in to me that I am truly thankful for. My son will be raised the same way.

If we go on to have a proper cup run (which we probably won't), I wonder how many in future years will claim to have been there for the famous victory against our enemy on the 8th of Jan to start our journey to Wembley? Probably just as many who will wish that they had.

Sorry, your post loses any credibility by the repeated use of the words "the scum" - how old are you...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
you dont "buy" the whole.rivalry thing ? i question what.youre doing going go football in the first place ?

Perhaps they like watching football and don't feel that life has to be about conflict.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't have an excuse because I don't need one.

It's my money, I'll choose to spend it where I want.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It was great, really good fun, so glad I didn't miss it. Finally I've seen us beat Palace!! - first time for 43 years!

Its probably a little look ahead to next time we're mid-table in the championship, we'll be getting crowds like that, and certainly not all bad at all - the fans made a lot of noise, the travel was easy, very few early leavers, and best of all for me, an incredibly positive atmosphere throughout the stadium. Never heard so few moans at an Amex game.

OveralI, for those who decided they didn't want to go, you really weren't missed

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Exactly this ^

The pricing was just the biggest weapon they had to make the game as unattractive to fans as possible, and they used it to full effect. It's why I fully understand why so many people didn't go.

Many of the reasons that people have listed on here and the other 10 or so threads discussing this don't mention cost as the reasons for not going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here