Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidinSouthampton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't buy the whole rivalry thing either. And the clue is in your question - what you're doing going to football in the first place? I went to watch the football, the fringe but still very capable players in MY team. It was good to see Kayal as deserved man of the match, Sam Baldock getting a decent run out, even though it was unfortunately due to an injury for Izzy Brown, it was good to see our back-up centre-backs acquitting themselves well.

The rivalry did contribute to the atmosphere, and it was interesting to see the large police presence, even the horses! But I didn't go because I hate Palace, because I don't hate Palace particularly.

If your main concern is the rivalry, I question why you're going to football in the first place.
    it isnt the main concern , but you may as well watch the game in complete silence if what youre saying is true

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      What this thread needs is a poll.
      No.
      No.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BadFish View Post
      Couldn't agree more

The fact that the FA is devalued is because those in the champions league don't value it above the league and the European Cup. I cannot fathom the fact that this seems to have filtered down to other clubs also. The only competition that we and most of the Premier League have a chance at doing well in is the cup. Surely having a good cup run makes a big difference to confidence and morale and is useful in a relegation fight. Bit of light relief if you like.

IMHO the cup competition was devalued by the big clubs not taking it seriously, and their reasons were understandable. To me though this means that the rest of the clubs in the Premier League should be busting a gut to win it against teams that are not taking it seriously. Sadly the media has chipped away at its remaining relevance with their constantly asking the question "Has the FA cup lost its importance" etc etc until they got the answer they were after. Self fulfilling indeed. The question is why do we allow ourselves to be dictated to by the big six and the media?

I would honestly rather have a proper crack at the FA cup and go down rather than play it safe and stay up. We have come from a division where we played 46 games to one where we play 38, I think we can manage a potential 6 extra games I like watching Brighton play football and I want to do it as much as possible.

Rant over!
      spot on (did i really say that)

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by TottonSeagull View Post
      non-event!
      No.
      No.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
      Because we all know that had this game been against Man Utd or Liverpool, suddenly the fact that it was on a Monday night and in the FA Cup wouldnít have been an issue. It would have been packed to the rafters full of Ďloyalí Albion fans, excited about seeing their teams. Thatís the reality of our support, I donít see how anyone can deny that.
      You're just making negative assumptions again.
      I listen to bands that don't even exist yet.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      It is possible for teams outside the Top 6 to do well in the FA Cup and not get relegated from the Premier League.

Palace did this a couple of years back and made it all the way to the Final.

Of course, there won't be a repeat of that for them this season...
      "To be honest, I was holding out just for Brighton really. This is where I wanted to be."
      - Bobby Zamora, Tuesday 4th August 2015
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hart's shirt View Post
      It is possible for teams outside the Top 6 to do well in the FA Cup and not get relegated from the Premier League.

Palace did this a couple of years back and made it all the way to the Final.

Of course, there won't be a repeat of that for them this season...
      I was trying to find a bit of research on this and apparently, in general an FA cup run does have an adverse effect on league form.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...er-league-form

I still think we should value it though, increased confidence and momentum are not so easily quantified.
      Too many Florence Nightingales. Not enough Robin Hoods.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
      You're just making negative assumptions again.
      Perhaps. Pretty sure itís true though. I canít imagine anyone really thinks that we wouldnít have got a much bigger crowd against Man Utd last night, do they? And if thatís true, then all the Ďitís Monday night, itís just after Christmas, itís the FA Cupí etc. nonsense goes out the window.

Anyway, Iíve said my piece, and Iím bored with talking about it now. We beat Palace and it was a great night, just a shame it was in a half-full stadium and so many people missed it. Onwards and upwards.
      "I am repeatedly a fan of his braggish self-assurance. No point, that I can remember, has he ever been foolish or incorrect. All based on scientific, biblical fact. He's a vivid sermoniser whose halo sometimes burns those who dare to question."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by alfredmizen View Post
      The FA cup is devalued (partially) because its talked down by sh*t like this, its self fulfilling
      Listen I don't want it to be true. But it is. I want a packed Amex full of 30k die hards against Palace in the FA Cup. I want everyone to feel like I do about the Albion. But they don't.

0 Not allowed!
      Think it just shows the sign of the times. The Premier League is the be all and end all. There was in the main a huge amount of apathy before the game and a woeful 14,000 just reinforces this. Rightly or wrongly a lot of Palace fans are pretty cheesed off with the whole last game thing and the organisation for this game. Roy had also already said that we would not be playing a full strength side all of which are contributing factors. I think we will all see a different derby day at Selhurst.

From our point of view would we have preferred not to have lost to you lotcertainly, but the silver lining is the old cliche that we now can concentrate on the league. You lot were worthy winners we did not turn up and only reinforced many a Palace view that outside our first choice 11-13 we are very short on quality. Another two first teamers lost to injury. That is the real cost of this game.