Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why the no shows v Pal-arse?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
If we left our ground half filled every time a team in the bottom 12 in the PL came along then fair enough. One FA Cup game on a Monday night is now an indicator of our entire fanbase? If that is the case those moaning can kindly see yourselves off the board and stop supporting the club, nobody who feels this way surely wants to support us?

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
It was great, really good fun, so glad I didn't miss it. Finally I've seen us beat Palace!! - first time for 43 years!

Its probably a little look ahead to next time we're mid-table in the championship, we'll be getting crowds like that, and certainly not all bad at all - the fans made a lot of noise, the travel was easy, very few early leavers, and best of all for me, an incredibly positive atmosphere throughout the stadium. Never heard so few moans at an Amex game.

OveralI, for those who decided they didn't want to go, you really weren't missed

Couldn’t agree with you more, well said sir!

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Monday at 8, two reserve teams, live in London, working Tuesday, train strike, no chance of getting home, forget it! Sky etc have killed football as we know ...
but still loved following it on 5Live & would love a cup run

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Monday at 8, two reserve teams, live in London, working Tuesday, train strike, no chance of getting home, forget it! Sky etc have killed football as we know ...

I have to say I saw loads and loads and loads of trains.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Ours was hardly a reserve team was it? A few injuries and that team could easily be playing in the PL, all first team squad

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
If we left our ground half filled every time a team in the bottom 12 in the PL came along then fair enough. One FA Cup game on a Monday night is now an indicator of our entire fanbase? If that is the case those moaning can kindly see yourselves off the board and stop supporting the club, nobody who feels this way surely wants to support us?

Exactly. We were well supported when at the bottom of the championship too. I really feel that last night was a bit of an anomaly with a lot of different factors coming together.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Oh I do, and I am also well aware it seems more than others that our new found support might actually not be as hardcore as some claim. We get all defensive on here when other fans come on and claim we’re fair weather fans like Reading and Palace when we’re no different, we’re nothing special.

I am more just disappointed than anything, I thought more would turn up than 12 thousand Albion fans.

I will leave it there, as people seem more concerned and defending people’s rights and reasons for not going or tv, than hang on that was a lame home turnout for such a big game.

Fact is...not enough people saw it as a big game.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hang on.

So you are saying that anyone who didn't go is a flakey plastic temporary fan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No, definitely not. Like I said this is the modern era and people, some who are fans of many years standing who went to Withdean, Priestfield, Goldstone didn't go. All had good reasons and none of them have to explain or justify themselves. No one who didn't go on Monday is a 'bad fan' - simply a modern one*.

My point was that all during the Amex era opposing fans have sneered at our high attendances and said in a large part they were down to bandwaggon jumping plastics who didn't give a shit about the Albion before. The reply has always been: no, these were all genuine Brighton fans who just hadn't actually attended games for the last thirty years. That statement has now, finally, been proved to be wrong and there is no difference between the makeup of our fanbase and that of Reading's - so let's not sneer at them any more. People in glasshouses and all that. And there's nothing wrong with getting new fans who didn't give a shit about the Albion before. If we hadn't done that we'd have about 12,000 rattling around the Anex every game.

And the other good news is our true hardcore support has genuinely increased.

*EDIT: And probably doesn't give a shit about the FA Cup which of course is a modern view. In the old days a Cup game between two divisional rivals would have a much higher attendance that the corresponding League fixture. How times have changed.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No, definitely not. Like I said this is the modern era and people, some who are fans of many years standing who went to Withdean, Priestfield, Goldstone didn't go. All had good reasons and none of them have to explain or justify themselves. No one who didn't go on Monday is a 'bad fan' - simply a modern one.

My point was that all during the Amex era opposing fans have sneered at our high attendances and said in a large part they were down to bandwaggon jumping plastics who didn't give a shit about the Albion before. The reply has always been: no, these were all genuine Brighton fans who just hadn't actually attended games for the last thirty years. That statement has now, finally, been proved to be wrong and there is no difference between our fanbase and that of Reading's - so let's not sneer at them any more. People in glasshouses and all that. And there's nothing wrong with getting new fans who didn't give a shit about the Albion before. If we hadn't done that we'd have about 12,000 rattling around the Anex every game.

And the other good news is our true hardcore support has genuinely increased.

Well said. People's lives are more complicated than 30 years ago or even 10 years ago. For one, Men are more involved in family life and can't simply pop a hat on and wave cheerio to the wife and three demanding kids on a weeknight anymore.

Or like me, just don't give enough of a **** about the cup to bother with Palace at 8 on a Monday night.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Was having a chat with my usual friendly neighbourhood steward post match(total legend by the way who stewards our disabled area-how do you nominate steward of the year?) who was hearing through the earpiece that palace had been behaving like dickheads again in their end but nothing like the last visit and there had been loads of problems in the North stand, which were unexpected with 14 and 15 year olds trying to buy beer.Loads of youngsters apparently whose dads(and mums) obviously decided to swerve the game and trust little Johny to behave themselves going alone.

My faith in our youth support has been reinstated

For what its worth, those that say the FA cup significance has been diminished have a good point to make, it has. But try telling that to the thousands that turned up and went crackers when we scored in the 87th minute against Palace. You cant buy that sort of unbridled joy against our main rivals. I even managed to shock myself when the winner went in at how many expletives I actually knew as I fingered every single one of those muppets in the away stand.

Bantz!!.

I respect the Albion fans that stayed home and no doubt watched whilst biting their fingernails on tv as well as those shouting at the radio,there is no difference between them and those that attended.Loads of my friends swerved it, and they are like the rest of us Albion mad

I wont buy into the rhetoric however from those who say they don’t give a toss about the cup or that its against our main rival(no matter what day of the week it is).These people are clueless.Thankfully you can count these idiots on one hand and oddly enough they seem to be the ones that never ever go to the Amex anyway.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One thing I find refreshing on here lately is that a lot of our supporters don't really take the "rivalry" that seriously. A good excuse for a bit of ribbing, sure but the numpties that take it seriously are as bad as the small contingent of Palace fans who willy wave at matches. These are the people that don't have a huge amount going on in their lives.
Anyway, now that Cup game is out of the way for now I'm looking forward to getting back to the Amex and getting on with our season and for a bit of friendly banter with our opposition. Weeeeyo.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It was good to see as well from Monday night that the rivalry is taken just as seriously as it has been for years and years from virtually everyone in the stadium.
You could see what it meant to everyone.
You get the odd charlatan of course who claims the rivalry against Palace isn’t really that serious at all, usual blokes that never go to football who are obviously very much out of touch and a bit odd and simply don’t get it at all.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
The only thing that I would say to those that say they aren't bothered with the FA Cup is I wonder if they will be if we get further in the competition?
I hope Barber, who seems to keep data on everything, lets the fans that attended Palace get first dibs on tickets if we do get a big draw, doubt it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyone who spends anymore time thinking about Palace outside of a passing "okay team with a few knobhead fans" and it's great when we beat them, should probably get to more matches and get out more in general. It brings another dimension to our face-offs but not much else.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The only thing that I would say to those that say they aren't bothered with the FA Cup is I wonder if they will be if we get further in the competition?
I hope Barber, who seems to keep data on everything, lets the fans that attended Palace get first dibs on tickets if we do get a big draw, doubt it.

It'd be nice to think that we could sell out an fa cup game, cant see it. But yes anyone who went Monday should indeed get first dibs

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Never quite understood the mindset of people who dont go to football criticising those who go regularly home and away, maybe over decades that the rivalry against Palace doesnt matter and is false to the point of inconsequential
How frigging mad is that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here