Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Handball!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
hamble.jpg

Viewers under the age of 40 may not understand the above.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
From the BBC - I have a question

"It was a genuine goal," said Hodgson.

"And the referee was helped by the fact he had [Neil] Swarbrick in the VAR studio [in west London] making a judgement that'd help him out - so I have no complaints."

So the VAR is not at the stadium but at a remote location? Is that right?

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton

"And the referee was helped by the fact he had [Neil] Swarbrick in the VAR studio [in west London] making a judgement that'd help him out - so I have no complaints."

Yes, somewhere near Heathrow

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Touched his knee and goes in while trying to stick his arms as far back and to the side as possible.

Got to be some kind of bellend to try and contest that.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

From what I’ve read that is the case - the idea is as I understand it that if/when multiple matches are being played the VAR can adjudicate on more than one match.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Don't. My stepfather's son-in-law was Paul Haylock, the bloke that Jimmy barged past to score. I was talking to him at a family do and he was still going on about it six years later
That name rings a bell, did he ever go in goal (for Gillingham I think) in a league cup game against us when their goalkeeper got injured?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
[tweet]950485436283146240[/tweet]

:tosser:

Most Palace fans that have commented on that tweet disagree with him and point out a) he doesn’t know what he’s talking about and b) they lost to the better side. Meanwhile not very Bright comes across as a bitter toss piece.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Here's an odd thing. I wasn't able to get from Heathrow to Brighton to catch the match live and watched it in a Woking pub instead. When the winner was scored I genuinely did not celebrate. The knowledge that the VAR was watching seemed to hang heavy and it must have been 10-15 seconds before I bought into the fact that we had just won the match. I don't know if that response would have been different had I been at the game.

This makes me wonder how I feel about VAR. it's nice to be able to put the NigeLLLLLLs in our pocket and kick any of their puny handball claims into touch but... part of the reason I go to games is the rush that comes when a goal is scored. Will VAR deny me that or at the very least dilute it? Possibly. If that's the case then I can't help but feel that we may just have lost a little part of something that makes the game very special. Odd.

Edit - Still feel bloody magic now though.

Ha! I NEVER celebrate a goal until I can see there is no lino flag up and the ref is trotting back to the halfway line. I have had my celebrations crushed far too many times. So VAR won't affect my reaction to goals in the slightest.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Daft bint on local TV news just said we scored 'a contentious winner'. I wouldn't like to witness the contention in her kitchen in the morning when she ponders 'tea or coffee'. It would be traumatic. :facepalm:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I believe that had that been the other way around and Palace scored in the last minute with what, on the big screen replay, looked like a 100% hand ball, we would have been on the pitch.
You can understand the Palace players seeing that and asking the ref to review it. If anything, there could have been a bit more interaction from the ref so that we all knew that he had reviewed it.
As a side, he did not give the first goal with the usual hand signal so I wonder if he was also waiting instructions then.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Daft bint on local TV news just said we scored 'a contentious winner'. I wouldn't like to witness the contention in her kitchen in the morning when she ponders 'tea or coffee'. It would be traumatic. :facepalm:

I’ve been on a long drive this morning. Every sports bulletin on the radio has detailed how we progressed with a “controversial goal”.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I believe that had that been the other way around and Palace scored in the last minute with what, on the big screen replay, looked like a 100% hand ball, we would have been on the pitch.
You can understand the Palace players seeing that and asking the ref to review it. If anything, there could have been a bit more interaction from the ref so that we all knew that he had reviewed it.
As a side, he did not give the first goal with the usual hand signal so I wonder if he was also waiting instructions then.

agree, there did seem to be some delay for our first goal and had me wondering whether it had been disallowed....

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I’ve been on a long drive this morning. Every sports bulletin on the radio has detailed how we progressed with a “controversial goal”.

controversial because we scored or controversial due to teh nature of teh win?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Ha! I NEVER celebrate a goal until I can see there is no lino flag up and the ref is trotting back to the halfway line. I have had my celebrations crushed far too many times. So VAR won't affect my reaction to goals in the slightest.

Wise man. Generally my celebrations are involuntary and I just can't help myself. The one notable exception to this was Reinelt's Hereford equaliser. I remember almost climbing over the celebrating throng ahead of me to try and get a clear sight of the linesman before allowing myself the pleasure of going all loopy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here