Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kayal

Interesting code you have there. I think Stephens is fairly poor when closed down in this division and has very little skill driving forward. He is my favourite (current) player, so where does that put my credibility upon your assessment?

All of our players have limitations, else they wouldn't be playing for us. So your proviso that I can't critique the players I support up and down the country is utterly baffling.

Look let's not have a spat for the sake of it. I think your assessment of Kayal's so-called weakenesses is a bit harsh and you are over-reading Hughton's time to Kayal recovery as the player having weaknesses. Think about it - the Championship is a very rugged, physical league - the idea that Kayal could dominate that league yet be found out for physicality in a more technical league doesn't stack up. No one was arguing he should replace Stephens but it's interesting that Stephens yesterday had more confidence going forward than we've seen of late - this when even up against Palace's best selected player in Cabaye. More confidence that Kayal would cover for him - and Kayal did switch frequently from being deep lying playmaker to advanced attacker - his comfort in doing this is unique in our midfielders

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Look let's not have a spat for the sake of it. I think your assessment of Kayal's so-called weakenesses is a bit harsh and you are over-reading Hughton's time to Kayal recovery as the player having weaknesses. Think about it - the Championship is a very rugged, physical league - the idea that Kayal could dominate that league yet be found out for physicality in a more technical league doesn't stack up. No one was arguing he should replace Stephens but it's interesting that Stephens yesterday had more confidence going forward than we've seen of late - this when even up against Palace's best selected player in Cabaye. More confidence that Kayal would cover for him - and Kayal did switch frequently from being deep lying playmaker to advanced attacker - his comfort in doing this is unique in our midfielders

My underlying point was not to criticise but to suggest Kayal is there to play in a 3, or to compete with Propper for a place (in my opinion). This isn't because I think Stephens is particularly better than him, they both have their strengths and weaknesses (I was more alluding to him being lightweight as a comparison, not in general) I just don't think he can play Dale's role. Sidwell can but he's out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Despite playing well last night I cannot see Kayal starting ahead of Stephens and Propper but can see him coming on to replace one of them late in a game as CH is prone to replacing players with like for like

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can't see Kayal getting a start in the PL just yet though. Propper is far more mobile and quick around the pitch than he gets credit for. One of those work rates that goes unnoticed a lot of the time but certainly not by the manager. Great to have Kayal back in contention though, superb player on his day.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Despite playing well last night I cannot see Kayal starting ahead of Stephens and Propper but can see him coming on to replace one of them late in a game as CH is prone to replacing players with like for like

CH is more prone to replacing the no 10 with a 3rd midfielder to shore up the midfield.

HASSOCKS-BHA

Jun 11, 2012
A great performance. If love to see him start with Propper. I think defensively he's better than Stephens and more creative too.

Agreed. Too many negative sideways and backwards passes from Stephens for my liking, would much rather see him start alongside Propper.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stephens has stepped up to the Premier League like a fish to water there is no question of him or Propper being replaced at the moment. Kayals best hope is when one of them gets tired and we need to freshen up or Gross gets tired and Propper is pushed forward late in a game especially with Brown gone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Simple question:-

Is the midfield currently broken?

The only answer can be - 'no'

so why are people trying to fix it?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Yes. They don’t score enough. Or at all. Palace aside. - Stephens first goal for 13 months. Propper yet to score at all.

I agree it's always good for our midfield players to score, as it takes the pressure off our strikers and wingers, but with us playing 2 in midfield (Not counting the more advanced Gross) pushing them forward will leave large gaps in behind on the counter*, so we can't afford to push them up. We have 4 attacking players on the pitch who should be getting goals on a semi-regular basis, that's plenty for a side in our position who are going to be defending a lot of the time. Perhaps they should be getting on the score sheet 2/3 times a season, but it won't be a major factor in our survival if they don't. It's our forwards who should be improving.

*The way we play is my favourite formation to use on FM18, so you can obviously trust my credentials on this one.

scooter1

How soon is now?
It was interesting reading the Stephens quote on Twitter, that he was looking for a pass before hearing Baldock shouting 'shoot shoot'. If his first thought is to pass when he's less than 10 yards from goal and nigh on clean through, then I fully expect it to be another 13 months before he gets another. I said on a previous thread that our entire front 6 need to get a bit braver in front of goal, I stand by this

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It was interesting reading the Stephens quote on Twitter, that he was looking for a pass before hearing Baldock shouting 'shoot shoot'. If his first thought is to pass when he's less than 10 yards from goal and nigh on clean through, then I fully expect it to be another 13 months before he gets another. I said on a previous thread that our entire front 6 need to get a bit braver in front of goal, I stand by this

Does Baldock qualify for an assist?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
It was interesting reading the Stephens quote on Twitter, that he was looking for a pass before hearing Baldock shouting 'shoot shoot'.

I knew Baldock was good at something. Only kidding I have a lot of Man love for Sam.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here