Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we be playing our best team tonight?

Should we be playing our best team tonight?

• No

Votes: 100 71.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 39 28.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There is only one important game this week and it isn't tonight.

Might not be for you but it will be important for those that turn up to watch and for the players and CH I imagine. It will be a war of attrition out there’s and I doubt it will be an exciting spectacle though.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Interested not so much in the team as the style of football that we should be playing in a 'free hit' televised Cup game.

An attacking mindset from the outset should create a great game for supporters of both teams.

And if we win playing this football, it'll be one of those 'I was there' moments.

(Or 'I wasn't there, but with the benefit of hindsight wish I had been'.)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They have an equal chance of that happening in any fixture. One of them will have to play tonight either way.

Not necessarily. Kayal could play with either Hutchinson or Molumbey beside him (I think one of those two is injured (?) but I'm not sure which one). But otherwise I agree with you - I'd like to see our strongest team out there trying to get to the 4th. round. Won't happen though.
Let's just hope our youngsters and reserves play out of their skin tonight. If one or two of them could actually do enough to give CH a slight selection problem for West Brom. that would be a huge bonus.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just did a quick review of the last few seasons to see what our result was immediately after a cup exit after we rested players to see if it helped resting those players:

17th Feb 2014 Hull (H) which we drew 1-1 - Then lost at home on 22nd Feb 2-1
24th Feb 2014 Hull (A) replay lost 2-1 - Then won at Millwall on 1st March 1-0
9th Jan 2016 Hull (A) lost 1-0 - Then lost 2-0 at Rotherham on 12th Jan
28th January 2017 Lincoln (A) lost 3-1 - Then lost 3-1 away to Huddersfield on 2nd February.

So out of the last 4 times we have rested players and gone out of the cup as a result we have only won one of the next league game. Not exactly conclusive proof that resting players in the cup helps you in the league is it?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just did a quick review of the last few seasons to see what our result was immediately after a cup exit after we rested players to see if it helped resting those players:

17th Feb 2014 Hull (H) which we drew 1-1 - Then lost at home on 22nd Feb 2-1
24th Feb 2014 Hull (A) replay lost 2-1 - Then won at Millwall on 1st March 1-0
9th Jan 2016 Hull (A) lost 1-0 - Then lost 2-0 at Rotherham on 12th Jan
28th January 2017 Lincoln (A) lost 3-1 - Then lost 3-1 away to Huddersfield on 2nd February.

So out of the last 4 times we have rested players and gone out of the cup as a result we have only won one of the next league game. Not exactly conclusive proof that resting players in the cup helps you in the league is it?
What about 2015?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What about 2015?

As I recall we put out a decent team but lost 3-2 to Arsenal.

ps) in front of crowd of 30,278 (clearly cared about the cup more when Arsenal were in town!)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
4 less games than last season so no excuse not to play a largely 'best' team. I'll accept players like Krul, Goldson, Kayal, Baldock starting but don't want to see any youth players or anyone that is not pushing for a place week in week out.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
My issue with not playing the best team is if not now when will we ever take the FA Cup seriously?

We are sat mid table in the Premier League, how much higher can we go? So are we actually saying we will never again take the FA Cup seriously? That is pretty sad if that is the case.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As I recall we put out a decent team but lost 3-2 to Arsenal.

ps) in front of crowd of 30,278 (clearly cared about the cup more when Arsenal were in town!)

Fair enough. I wonder if they recovered in time to face the rigours of the next game.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
It's as if the club and management want us to go out the cup. What happens if we reach the quarters/semi final? I'm sure a quick change of mind and that they'll be thinking of the money then :)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It's as if the club and management want us to go out the cup. What happens if we reach the quarters/semi final? I'm sure a quick change of mind and that they'll be thinking of the money then :)

What money, about £30 isn't it?

We are not good enough to get that far anyhow, even at full strength.

da.JPG

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We should try and be a little pragmatic, obviously rest any players who have knocks, but if they’re fit they should be considered for selection.

A win against palace would be a boost for the fans and lift us, a loss would be gloomy and counterproductive. Plenty of recovery time before WBA, so I really hope he chooses a strong team.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Stephens and Propper need a rest/break big time. I'd play Hemed and Baldock up front and try going with a 2 for a change.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Both teams won’t be at full strength , I’d suggest half will be squad players .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

.........................................or maybe they'll be thinking, "Bollox, where did we go wrong?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here