Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we be playing our best team tonight?

Should we be playing our best team tonight?

• No

Votes: 100 71.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 39 28.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
What money, about £30 isn't it?

We are not good enough to get that far anyhow, even at full strength.

View attachment 92652

I don't know where you've plucked £30 from...

I'm not expecting us to go all the way but I would like us to actually go into the game determined to win and not think 'oh its another distraction out of the way'.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Rest a few, but not all first teamers...

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
No. Ryan (too important to us), Dunk Duffy (played a lot), Bruno (old), Stephens, Propper (played a lot without good enough back up) and Murray (old and not good enough back up) should all be rested. Would like to see:

Krul;
Schellotto, Goldson, Hunemeier, Suttner;
Knockaert, Kayal, Brown, Izquierdo;
March;
Hemed.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'd play

Ryan (no goalkeeper needs a rest and he is our best)
Schellotto, Goldson, Hunemeier, Bong;
Knockaert, Kayal, Stephens, Izquierdo;
Brown;
Hemed.

If level at 60 minutes I'd bring on March, Murray and Baldock and properly go for it.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Yes - the FA Cup always has been a highlight of the season for me, don't see it as a distraction - I think there's too much worrying by teams about whether players should be played in cup games etc or not.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yes - the FA Cup always has been a highlight of the season for me, don't see it as a distraction - I think there's too much worrying by teams about whether players should be played in cup games or not, I'm sure they always used to play full squads in the cups and it never seemed to make much difference.

I think live TV has made the situation worse. Hughton may be thinking that West Brom played Saturday so they have an advantage. I remain to be convinced that five days rest is worse than seven days but I suspect that would be in his mind. Also lack of reserve team football dictates that it's a useful run out for the fringe players. That said though, you'd think you would want to play more cup matches!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No because if nothing else we should give Krul, Goldson, March, Hemed and Kayal a game.They are all full first team players but aren't in the strongest XI.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No because if nothing else we should give Krul, Goldson, March, Hemed and Kayal a game.

You sound like an under 10s team manager :)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just hoping Hemed starts as I've just done Hemed first scorer & Brighton win 3-1 @100/1 :lolol:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I expect he'll rest one or two that he didn't need to, but hey ho. Palace may well pick quite a strong squad because they have so many injured they may have little choice in a derby game.

Meanwhile its more about giving the fringe payers match-time than resting the first team, imo. However West Brom did play a largely first-team side against Exeter on Saturday, so we get a chance to make a direct comparison of whether resting is worthwhile

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Pity because Palace look as though they are fielding not far off their strongest team which doesn't auger well.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think live TV has made the situation worse. Hughton may be thinking that West Brom played Saturday so they have an advantage. I remain to be convinced that five days rest is worse than seven days but I suspect that would be in his mind. Also lack of reserve team football dictates that it's a useful run out for the fringe players. That said though, you'd think you would want to play more cup matches!

Another key point is that it's not all about resting the players currently in the side, it is also important those fringe players getting minutes somewhere.

It's all very well saying play Ryan as he doesn't need a rest, he almost certainly doesn't, however if he was to get injured in the coming weeks and months, has Krul had any minutes? Will he be match fit if he needs to step in half way through the game.

I think as important as resting key players, managers are as interested in ensuring the players they might need to rely on have had some match time.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I’ve heard we’ve got a strong squad there but have no idea of the team yet .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here