Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR who decides?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Works in cricket, obviously, and has been most helpful in rugby.

Just not feeling that it settles well with football.

In rugby they take it to the extremes.....I have sat in the Maj waiting 6 minutes for a try to be awarded or not for London Irish ....after 3 minutes people get up and head to the bar muttering!

Trouble is this needs to be instant....so picture the scene....murray is through on goal, he gets clipped as he is about to score and say liverpool, break away and 16 seconds later put the ball in the net. their fans go mental as it was a great goal.....so the ref asks the video ref to have a look....video ref says that it may or may not have been a trip but home fans who are never biased of course witness it on their phones and are going mental at the ref to give a pen...and the liverpool fans are going mental as their goal may be chalked off....it all kicks off in the stands....mass crowd disturbances...pitch invasions...people injured, mass scenes like Zombie Apocalypse...game abandoned...

It will all end in tears!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I remember a penalty given against us at Saints, so far outside the box it was laughable, Taricco got himself sent off for telling the ref what he thought of the decision, this would not have happened with VAR.

The black-and-white issues over the incident you mention are fine, and if that was the limit of VAR's scope - that's fine too. But it's getting into the realms of where facts and opinions blur that is going to be the problem...

Some of the stuff that VAR is being used for is fairly black and white. Whether a player is in an offside position (whether they're actually offside can be more opinion based), or whether there was actually contact for a perceived handball or foul for example.

... for instance the example here. Whether there was contact is not the central issue in whether to decided to award a penalty. If a player goes down without being touched, it's either a genuine slip (which ought to be seen by the ref) or it's far more black-and-white that it's a dive. However, any level of contact can also bring about a dive. 'There was contact' is in no way - nor ever has been - the guiding principle to awarding a penalty. It's only lazy pundits who use this in some form of altered reality law of physics notion. "Oooh, he deserved to go down there..." etc. :facepalm:

Nor is a handball black-and-white. While the laws of the game don't allow for the 'ball to hand' defence, referees and players do, at the start of the season, go through a 'directives' training day to ascertain what the referees will be looking for when awarding a penalty. And that is by no means black-and-white - there is still an almighty grey area there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
With VAR, you're just swapping one controversy for another. Its all well and good saying it'll help clear up glaring errors, and in some instances it will. But you're also opening the door on a whole RAFT of other borderline calls, where VAR will be of little or no help whatsoever. You're still left with human beings reviewing an incident and making a call on it, giving their personal interpretation. How many times have we (as fans) and pundits looked at an incident from umpteen different angles, be it a foul, a dive, a handball, and still disagreed ? It happens ALL the time.

With the stakes in the game so high these days, the ref is going to be under increasing pressure to have another look at all manner of incidents that result in a big call being made, be it a red card or a crucial goal. I can see it playing out where a ref won't trust his own judgement any more. He'll want to check the pitchside monitor to make sure he's getting it right.

Once this comes in, the game as we know it will never be the same again.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
In rugby they take it to the extremes.....I have sat in the Maj waiting 6 minutes for a try to be awarded or not for London Irish ....after 3 minutes people get up and head to the bar muttering!

Trouble is this needs to be instant....so picture the scene....murray is through on goal, he gets clipped as he is about to score and say liverpool, break away and 16 seconds later put the ball in the net. their fans go mental as it was a great goal.....so the ref asks the video ref to have a look....video ref says that it may or may not have been a trip but home fans who are never biased of course witness it on their phones and are going mental at the ref to give a pen...and the liverpool fans are going mental as their goal may be chalked off....it all kicks off in the stands....mass crowd disturbances...pitch invasions...people injured, mass scenes like Zombie Apocalypse...game abandoned...

Wow that sounds absolutely fantastic - a great advert for VAR, its a yes from me

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I remember a penalty given against us at Saints, so far outside the box it was laughable, Taricco got himself sent off for telling the ref what he thought of the decision, this would not have happened with VAR.

Also remember the Elphick handball outside the area at home to Bournemouth that was also given as a penalty, may have been the same season

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
My biggest worry is that it will lead to less goals being scored. If you look at the different scenarios most lead to a goal being disallowed not given. Only the offside ruling could work the other way.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
So it is only to be used when there is a clear and obvious error in a decision an official has made, but cannot be used if a clear and obvious error has been made by the referee in not making a decision e.g. in not awarding a penalty or giving someone a red card. That's going to cause controversy right there. There will still be onside goals disallowed, penalties not given when they should have been, and players getting away with red card decisions during a match (but can still receive retrospective punishment). So, it will result in fewer goals.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
My biggest worry is that it will lead to less goals being scored. If you look at the different scenarios most lead to a goal being disallowed not given. Only the offside ruling could work the other way.

Can the offside ruling work the other way? I didn't think it could. I thought the decision could only be reviewed if the officials had awarded a goal from an offside position.

Easy 10;8273002I can see it playing out where a ref won't trust his own judgement any more. He'll want to check the pitchside monitor to make sure he's getting it right.[/QUOTE said:
That's precisely what happens now in cricket. When did you last see an umpire give a run out without checking upstairs? Never unless the batsman is at least a metre out of his crease.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Who is on todays VAR panel of three - anyone know ?

ultimately they are possibly more important than the refferee now . Also what happens when all the premier league and championship games are supported by VAR - this could mean 20 or 30 panels running at the same time . Thats say 90 experts/ analysts . Theres a job opportunity here , they'll be a whole range of new jobs created it would seem...... interesting

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

ultimately they are possibly more important than the refferee now . Also what happens when all the premier league and championship games are supported by VAR - this could mean 20 or 30 panels running at the same time . Thats say 90 experts/ analysts . Theres a job opportunity here , they'll be a whole range of new jobs created it would seem...... interesting

There are many ex refs no longer able to pass the fitness test to operate in the game but perfectly able and knowledgeable to watch a TV.

Withdean

Nov 5, 2017
Refs want to get it 100% right. Being allowed access to action replay like you and I do on TV makes sense.
Expect more players charging the ref for reviews.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Refs want to get it 100% right. Being allowed access to action replay like you and I do on TV makes sense.

Players cannot demand reviews. If they "forcibly" demand it then they can be booked.

And if a manager leaves his technical area to look at the pitchside review monitor while the referee is reviewing a decision, he can be sent to the stands.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

They aren't allowed to.

During the game, players risk a booking if they attempt to influence any official into using VAR and managers or other non-playing club staff risk being sent to the stand if they do the same, or encroach on the area where the referee is reviewing footage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42604127

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

There isn't a 'panel of three' is there? I think you're confusing this with the appeals panel, for retrospective action. The VAR has ONE referee in charge, and an 'assistant' who is presumably only there in case the other one gets sick, etc.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As the VAR rules currently stand, Frank Lampard's 'goal' against Germany would still not be given. What a shambles.

:shrug: The VAR doesn't need to look at that, does it? They have the goal-line system to look after that issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here