Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR who decides?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Is it like tennis where the manages get so many rights to challenge or can only the ref ask for it?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
So the referee can ask for their opinion, or he can be told theirs, mostly just for penalties and red cards. So, in theory, the ref could send someone off and then have it rescinded by the VAR team. Or award a penalty and then see it reversed. Or the other way round for both - though that is less likely for a penalty unless the game has already stopped.

I guess they won't be together enough to put any of this on the screens at the match (but will on the screens on the TV).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I have read it The VAR will draw the match refs attention ,via his headpiece, to any incidents and also any reason to allow or disallow a goal or penalty and the match ref will then look at it on the TV screen at the side of the pitch and make the ultimate decision. I could however have misinterpreted that,.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Works in cricket, obviously, and has been most helpful in rugby.

Just not feeling that it settles well with football.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If the VAR helps eradicate the drama queen diving for a pen from the sport, I'm fully in favour of it. It's a shame that the sport has become so riddled with players adept at simulation that it comes to this, but with so much money on the line in today's sport there can be no room for this sort of cheating and the VAR is the only way I can see to get rid of it (given that retrospective bans don't seem to be having an effect).

From memory, there's been vocal opponents of video review systems for just about every sport it's been brought in for. And, in the end, I'm not aware of any sport where it's subsequently been removed because those opponents were proven right. Even the Indians have eventually bowed and accepted DRS in cricket, as they've been forced to admit that even with it's known flaws it's still far more accurate than relying on two humans in the middle.

The important bit to keep in mind is that VAR won't be perfect immediately. The system will need refining (as it has been in cricket, multiple times), and there will be some glaring errors made as everyone involved gets to grips with it. Ultimately, though, the goal for VAR is for it to reduce the number of glaring errors made, and for those glaring errors that are made to be of lesser significance than some we've seen in the past.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I am surprised more fans don't want to go to this vane as history is in the making with VARs being used for the first time.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
If it's anything like the last time we played Palace the video ref will have turned over to watch Celebrity Big Brother...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Disagree, it works in tennis and rugby. Only recently if a ball had crossed the line or not would have been opinion based often

I'd be over the moon if Zaha was the first victim (not that he will likely feture)

The fact it works in tennis and rugby is completely irrelevant. Football has its own laws, none of which are based on tennis or rugby.

The only thing that is black-and-white about this is goal-line technology - and that already exists.

Guerrero is right - football is too opinion-based, as set out in the laws of the game.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The fact it works in tennis and rugby is completely irrelevant. Football has its own laws, none of which are based on tennis or rugby.

The only thing that is black-and-white about this is goal-line technology - and that already exists.

Guerrero is right - football is too opinion-based, as set out in the laws of the game.

I remember a penalty given against us at Saints, so far outside the box it was laughable, Taricco got himself sent off for telling the ref what he thought of the decision, this would not have happened with VAR.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

Some of the stuff that VAR is being used for is fairly black and white. Whether a player is in an offside position (whether they're actually offside can be more opinion based), or whether there was actually contact for a perceived handball or foul for example.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here